Overcoming Recording problems

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Overcoming Recording problems

Post by ausdag »

Does anyone else suffer from this? You have a tune down and can play it through almost perfectly in the comfort of your practice room, or at a session, but as soon as you want to record yourself, whether for self-appraisal, for a youtube vid, or to record for another person who may want to learn the tune, all of a sudden, as soon as you hit the record button, no matter how many times you try, you keep stuffing it up?

There must be something psychological going on. The only thing I can think of is I'm telling myself while I'm recording "ok this is recording; don't mess it up' and it ends up gettting in the way of being able to relax into the tune.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Calum

Re: Overcoming Recording problems

Post by Calum »

If you're sitting down to record something, record everything from the moment you open the box. It's 2013: you're not going to run out of tape and you're not paying for studio time, so it doesn't matter how many takes you do or whether you get it right the first or the hundredth time.
Ardernhb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ardernhb »

I got over it by recording everything, all the time!

(though my recording is to check for very basic technique stuff, not to give to people)

It's a real pain in the Áras an Uachtaráin... at first and I don't listen to any of it really, but now when I want to record something specific it doesn't really play on my mind anymore. I only record things to listen back to to see how I can improve or if minor variation works or not.

At first I recorded whole 10mins of any old rubbish practice to try to forget about it and then I whittled it down to each set or tune.

I really think the very motion of leaning over to press buttons triggers a feeling of pressure for me, partly because at first it feels like it's expended energy and if you get it wrong it feels like you'll just have to start it again! (specially when you have to lean over something that feels cumbersome and I can't talk there). So just getting used to forgetting about that motion helps I think.

I know I've not been playing long and record for different reasons but I hope that helps a little (as boring as it sounds!)
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I think it's generally understood that mistakes and problems are always exacerbated by recording.

If you can only play something "almost perfectly" in privacy, it's not surprising that you'll make mistakes in front of a mic. Get it down so it's completely perfect, solid and you can play it through 30 times without any issues at all, and you'll have a better chance in front of a mic. But also, getting used to the mic is important. So record yourself while you're practicing the tune through 30 times.

And then listen to it and pick out the best time through and cut the rest out :D
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Omigod...I thought I was some kind of freak that would make for good material in some chapter of an Oliver Sacks book.

I used to think it was the pressure of studio work –the meter running and everyone's holding a magnifying glass while I'm the ant in the sun– but even at home, alone in the house, I can't seem to get over the hinky feeling that comes over me. All sorts of, for lack of a proper term, erratics come into my performance. Bizarre sounds, moves, you name it, that have never been a part of my playing. Ever.

I'm sure it is related to some sort of ancient fight-or-flight response. The brain tries whatever it can to get itself out of this horrible, horrible predicament.

I'm trying to keep a recorder running now in hopes that it helps.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Over come your nerves by snorting cocaine.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

rorybbellows wrote:Over come your nerves by snorting cocaine.

RORY

Or bananas.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Yeah, that's basically what I do, set the record and play away then pick out the best. It just gets frustrating when the more I record the worse it gets. Have to work on the phsychological side of it. I guess that just comes with practice. Nico, is there anyone other than Willie Clancy who can play a tune perfectly? :D
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

this symptom has a name in the professional world. It's called, "red-light fever." The recording light goes on, and your playing goes off!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Willie Clancy and Seamus Ennis both played in a very extemporaneous manner...

I do get a little stressed out when I am recording (I play off tempo or a little too fast), but it eventually settles down and I relax. I think there's little part of you that feels forced during recordings.
Last edited by ennischanter on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
maki

Post by maki »

ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Thanks Maki, looks interesting. Red-light fever! Is there a vaccination for that in development?
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

The only way to get over it, is to keep doing it. Also, Kenny's Werner's book "Effortless Mastery" is brilliant for teaching you how to quiet the critical voices in yer head that are making you produce anomalies.Then again, you may just have anomalies in your playing that the recorder is simply mirroring that need attention!?!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
john

Post by john »

on the subject of chemically-enhanced playing I wonder if a 'chill-pill' or 'mother's little helper' would help you concentrate (only a hypothetical question, i'm not suggesting it's something anyone here does)
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I"m not advocating this overmuch, but it has been clinically shown a little alcohol can aid in learning. LITTLE. So perhaps a pint of the Black might help. I"m not advocating the BBC practice of old of providing limitless champpagne to overcome "red light fever". In fact, some have said this practice helped undermine Seamus Ennis. . . .at the very least it didn't help his marriage.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi