Stupid drone reed question.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Stupid drone reed question.

Post by ennischanter »

Hi. I am new to Uilleann piping. So be easy on me! This might be a silly question..

In our backyard garden we have tulips growing. At the near-end of spring when the snow has all melted, the remaining stems of the tulips have that reed look. Hard Bark on the outside, and a soft pith in the middle. But it has gotten quite rotten and fragile due to all the snow and stuff.

But I am wondering if it is able to be harvested fresh to dry out, and be used as drone reeds? It looks like it has a desirable size to it.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
daveboling

Re: Stupid drone reed question.

Post by daveboling »

The only stupid questions are the one's you don't ask, and the one's having to do with spoon playing technique. :P
I think you would find that the wall thickness was a bit thin, and the resiliance of the material would make for a soft-sounding, unstable reed.
But, there's no reason not to give it a go.
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Nothing silly about it at all. Some plants beside cane are used to make drone reeds. Elder, lilac, snowberry and forsythia are ones I have used. It seems like tulip may not have the woody wall necessary, as the tongue needs some strength in the wall in order to be flexed. Raspberry has been suggested, but I have not tried it. I want to try syringa, which does not grow where I live. You never know until you try. Goose feather shafts have been used in the past. Lots of combinations of plastics, metal and wood are put together to make composite reeds by a number of makers today, with varying degrees of success.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

We do have raspberries growing in our backyard, so I could use that.

I even think we might have an elder tree. But I can't remember :-? , winters are long here in Alberta. And I haven't bothered to look into that.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

I would stay away from the tulips, just to avoid the risk of wooden shoes, funny hats, and the temptation to stick my finger in dikes. :)
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I may in the past have mentioned the raspberry canes here in passing, probably after cleaning up the raspberry beds before the winter. I don't think they're really woody enough, although they'd come closer than any tulip I have ever seen.

As for the above post, let's say, here's the t-shirt:

My brain hurts

rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Here how to make a drone sound with two lips, you'll also notice the wave motion of the tongue is very important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWGn6_EH2gM

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

Didn't Ennis's Coyne set have Lilac reeds?

myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I may in the past have mentioned the raspberry canes here in passing, probably after cleaning up the raspberry beds before the winter. I don't think they're really woody enough, although they'd come closer than any tulip I have ever seen.

As for the above post, let's say, here's the t-shirt:

Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

Elder is *all* over the place here in Oregon. And it makes a *beautiful* drone reed, as well as a fantastically subtle chanter reed. People have been experimenting with all sorts of reeding sourcing for years. Weird stuff, too. Why not expand the palette of what's been tried and what works or doesn't work...
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Mike Hulme

Post by Mike Hulme »

Elder makes excellent chanter reeds, if you can find a section of branch large enough. I remember that Brendan Ring was making them, and he brought a large piece of elder to the Saint Chartier Festival which he was going to carve into separate blades. At the time I was using an elder reed made by Chris Bayley and it played superbly in zero humidity and 100 degrees heat.

But on to drone reeds...

The problem with getting elder is that you can only really cut it when the sap hasn't started rising, as the sap interferes with the drying process. Seasoning the cuttings is simple though; cut the tube a little longer than you need, remove the pith, and then push a piece of brass rod through the tube to keep it as straight as possible. Then set it aside for a year or so.

It is very cold here in the UK at the moment, so I will now go and cut some elder from the bushes in my garden. :D
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

Has Bamboo ever been used for drone or chanter reeds?

Mike Hulme

Post by Mike Hulme »

Bamboo is a grass, not cane. It doesn't work. But there's nowt wrong with asking!
Mike

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Thank you Mike for the tip about the brass rod. I recall seeing some pictures of elder cane drone reeds by R. L. Mealy that were as twisted as old style 'twist' cheroots. . . .
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mike Hulme

Post by Mike Hulme »

You can make elder drone reeds from bent pieces of the stuff, as you don't lift the tongue by splitting it upwards as with Arundo, You cut into it with a scalpel to form the tongue, but if your material is bent you must cut the tongue on the CONVEX side.
Mike