Colonel Frazer

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Colonel Frazer

Post by PJ »

I'm looking for suggestions to vary the 4th part of Colonel Frazer.

In most versions, the first bar of the 4th part starts with a quarter note on B (short roll) followed by 2 eighth notes G and B, another quarter note B (short roll) followed by 2 eighth notes G and B. The second bar is similar but with a quarter note on A (short roll) followed by 2 eighth notes F# and A (repeated). The third bar is the same as the first. In ABC this gives:

~B2GB ~B2GB | ~A2FA ~A2FA | ~B2GB ~B2GB |

I'm looking for variations, particularly for the 1st and 3rd bars, such as suitable triplets in place of the short rolls on B (or any other ideas).
PJ
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Colonel Frazer

Post by benhall.1 »

Fiddler/fluter here. I play this mostly on fiddle, but have lately been tinkering with it on flute as well.

There's a few obvious ones:

1 (3BcBGB (3BcBGB | etc
2 (3BcdGd (3BcdGd ... maybe going into ADFA (3cBABA | (3BcdGd (3BcdGd
3 B2~GB GB-B2~ | A2~FA DAcA | B2~GB B2~-B2~ | cAFA {B}AG | G
4 B2~GB DB-B2~ | etc
5 B2~-B2~ GB(3dcB | A2~ etc

How's that to be going on with?

[NB These might well be things that I've picked up from fiddlers, flluters, pipers or wherever. There might be some great, specifically piping variants for this as well.]
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Here are some variations I play sometimes ... it's fun to flip-flop the rhythm a little. I'm sure I swiped them from somewhere ...

The second version shows how you can pop the octave in the 3rd bar to back d for variety.

~B2GB ~B2GB | AAFA DAFA | BBGB ~B2GB |

or

~B2GB ~B2GB | AAFA dAFA | (3BdB GB GBGB|
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Elvellon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Elvellon »

{c}B{A}BGB dBGB | {B}A{G}AFA DAFA | {c}G{F}G (3B^cd g{c'}g{f}ge | fdcA {c}AG{c}G
or basically B2GB dBGB | A2FA DAFA | G2 (3B^cd g3e | fdcA AG3
My real name's Roman