Ebay Items

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Ebay Items

Post by PJ »

What's known about Ryan? Any other examples of his work?
PJ
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Ryan @ Armstrong st, Dublin. c.1800

My brain hurts

myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

A pity we don't have a provenance for some of these sets: I'm sure it would be interesting to find out who played them over the years and where - or even how long they sat unplayed in cupboards. Wasn't the 'beehive' set found in an antique shop? There must be a few instruments knocking around even now that probably passed through the hands of well known 19th century players at some point.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Banana wood?
PJ
Toofargone

Post by Toofargone »

PJ wrote:Banana wood?
I now play Banana Wood chanters all the time, they seem to suck a little extra tone from a good reed and are a bit warmer than the many Blackwood/ Rosewood chanters I have owned. There is just one exception and that is a C chanter made by Ned White in Pennsylvania, around 1860/70ish,having spent time with Egan,apparently . It just runs up the octaves with even a mediocre reed and minimum pressure every time,and amazes anybody who has emptied a bag or two of through it. I am so lucky to have acquired it, now finding a suitable home for it on my demise is posing a significant and challenging conundrum.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Toofargone wrote:
PJ wrote:Banana wood?
I now play Banana Wood chanters all the time, they seem to suck a little extra tone from a good reed and are a bit warmer than the many Blackwood/ Rosewood chanters I have owned. There is just one exception and that is a C chanter made by Ned White in Pennsylvania, around 1860/70ish,having spent time with Egan,apparently . It just runs up the octaves with even a mediocre reed and minimum pressure every time,and amazes anybody who has emptied a bag or two of through it. I am so lucky to have acquired it, now finding a suitable home for it on my demise is posing a significant and challenging conundrum.
You have piqued my curiosity, please post some pictures in the pictures of your pipes thread.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You have piqued my curiosity, please post some pictures in the pictures of your pipes thread.
A friend had a Ned White, bought during the early 90s. I think it was only partly White and had bits by at least two other makers but he liked thinking it was all White. It was found under the floorboards of a house in Loughrea I believe, a bag of sticks really (or a bunch of bananas if you like), and was probably an early one, made in Ireland. I have pics of that but would need to scan the negs. Photos too of me playing it, wearing my Magritte ceci, n'est pas une pipe t-shirt (but will have to dig deep to find those) :P
My brain hurts

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

I always liked that t-shirt :thumbsup:
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

So did I.

Amazed you remember :oops: (or that anyone noticed at all), probably haven't worn it since 1994/5, still have it though.

My brain hurts

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

I wanted to buy one for myself. :D

My only regret from then is that I didn't record yourself and Geoff playing together (and not tracking down the t-shirt).

Cheers

John
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Perhaps that's the cue to get the thread back on topic:

Magritte 'pipe' T-shirt on ebay

My brain hurts

BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Practice set with 4 reeds - set is in Australia, and seller says he will post worldwide, but it is not currently showing in eBay.com. Seller says it was bought from a maker in Eastern Canada. (Dixon maybe).

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Looks like a Neil O'Grady chanter .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ

Post by PJ »

Yes, it all looks like NO’G’s work.
PJ
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Not sure how serviceable those extra reeds are, since the little bag is labeled "Geoffrey."