Ebay Items

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Ebay Items

Post by PJ »

A sale can be withdrawn. Nothing wrong with that.
PJ
ferris54
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ferris54 »

I withdrew the b chanter because someone has offered me a 3/4 wooff c# set and has agreed to knock £1500 off the price of the set for the b chanter. eBay rules state, as pj has said, that any item may be withdrawn. This is allowed up to 12 hours before an auction ends.
I'm sorry I had to do it, but I clearly stated in the listing that I was after a c# set and the 3/4 is as close as I'm likely to get. The full set with the two chanters will continue to the end and I look likely to make a considerable loss as the full set and narrow bore chanter cost me nearly £9000. I also made a loss on the b chanter as that, with the bag and bellows cost €2800 euros.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

ferris54 wrote:I withdrew the b chanter because someone has offered me a 3/4 wooff c# set and has agreed to knock £1500 off the price of the set for the b chanter. eBay rules state, as pj has said, that any item may be withdrawn. This is allowed up to 12 hours before an auction ends.
Indeed, I checked and you are correct this is true and is why ebay sucks.

Actually, I thinkt hat you would have gotten more than 1500, and you should have definitely placed a reserve on it.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Eugene Lambe full set in D - Europe and Australia.

David
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

Pipes relisted, but not because, as the usual reason a time waister, the winning bidder was a really nice chap from Liscannor in Co Clare Ireland. He already owns a b set by Wooff and was after a D set to be "more social".
Anyhow he travelled to my hometown in the Uk and spent several hours examining the pipes. He concluded they were not right for him as the bass reg bar positioning on the main stock would not allow him to play the regs properly. He mentioned Geoff wooff had altered his design later in the eighties to what he uses now. He also said there were some leaky reeds in the regs and the bellows had a slight leak. He also when dis-em ling the pipes found stamped on the inside of the main stock the date the pipes were made.....1981. This makes the pipes one of Geoffs earliest sets when he was developing his technique. His modern work, after years of experience is obviously much better. He reckoned the pipes could be sorted if he had the patience but he wanted a playing set immediately.
Anyhow, he was a really nice chap, and we parted amicably. I am sorry he had such a wasted journey, but I reckon the steak pie he had at Mad O'Rourkes pie factory in Tipton partly made up for his disappointment.

The pipes are now back on eBay. I have split the auction. One auction is for the wide bore set as described above, and the other is for the mk2 narrow bore D.
The buy it now price of £1500 has gone for the latter as someone has bid, but the buy it now price of £3500 is still available for the wide bore set. I have described them, from the info the chap from Liscannor, who seemed to know his stuff described the faults to me.
If your ever in Liscannor, and come across a chap playing a B wooff set, have a listen, he's excellent
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Taylor style practice set in D - chanter has 4 keys.

Wooff narrow bore D chanter - chanter has 3 keys.

Wooff full set in D - relisted.

David
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

Re: Taylor style practice set in D - chanter has 4 keys.

SOLD!
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

The full set have been sold for the bin price to a player in Leicestershire, uk.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Cool, that was a very reasonable price then for a Woof full set of pipes, only 3.500 sterling. The chanter could be uppgraded to Mk II specifications if need be. Someone got a very good deal :thumbsup: especially as Geoff has one or two people on his waiting list.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Well, if you go by the name only maybe, it WAS however a 1981 wide bore.

Anyhow, NBD chanters have reached Mk 3 after the latest re-think. A big improvement.

And with regards to the comment about the reed in the other chanter: Geoff always leaves new reeds quite strong and does so deliberately. They need playing in and after a good spin around the block they will become nice light players. It does take a bit of patience.
My brain hurts

ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

Chanter sold to a buyer from Kirkaldy in Fife, Scotland who, it looks like he frightened off the opposition with his bidding tactics.
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Full set by Eugene Lambe in US. Kind of hidden as they are listed as "uillenann".
maki

Post by maki »

ferris54 wrote:Chanter sold to a buyer from Kirkaldy in Fife, Scotland who, it looks like he frightened off the opposition with his bidding tactics.
How is that done?
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

It is done by placing multiple bids against yourself, so other bidders know you are prepared to go quite a bit higher. Can be costly though as seller can see increments bids are going up in and can get people to place succesive higher bids on to bump the price up. I would`nt and did`nt do that.
In my auction i could see bids were going p in £50 increments and the winner bid against his own top bid twice. Therefore you could get a friend to bid two more £50 bids safe in the knowledge that he wont outbid the top bidder as under ebay rules, if bids are equal, the earlier bid takes priority.