Ebay Items

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
geoff wooff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Ebay Items

Post by geoff wooff »

York Castle ? I thought it was 'Cliff Castle Museum' in Keighley (?) where there was a Harrington set when I visited in 1984. It was stolen in 1986 (?)... and yes there were plans that I saw then which were made by Peter Hunter & Co... But where the set is now.......?
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, that's right Geoff, Cliffe Castle Museum, Keighley not York Castle Museum. Could be this set:
http://www.thedronenews.org/single-post ... SPLAY-CASE
jon1908

Post by jon1908 »

geoff wooff wrote:York Castle ? I thought it was 'Cliff Castle Museum' in Keighley (?) where there was a Harrington set when I visited in 1984. It was stolen in 1986 (?)... and yes there were plans that I saw then which were made by Peter Hunter & Co... But where the set is now.......?

I have copies of those plans, sent to me by the person who measured them with Peter. And they’re not getting put on eBay!
There are at least 2 sets in circulation made from those drawings, one of which was sold through this site. I had the other one, but sold it a few years ago.
As for the original set, I have no idea - it was unusual in that it had an extra tenor drone sliding part with the set, that played a fifth.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Sees like there are a number of people with copies of the Cliffe Castle Museum Harrington set measurements, or who took their own measurements of the set before it disappeared. It's also conceivable that someone has replaced Dave William's name with their own name on the measurements that were up on E-bay?

On Pat's uilleann obsession site, http://www.uilleannobsession.com/diary_2000.html
An Iain Cameron has two photos of copies of the CCM set. You can clearly see the extra long tenor drone slide too. Iain writes, "This set was one my dad copied, it was in a museum but was stolen during his work, he did however get a full set of measurements which I still have, I think he made two copies one in boxwood and one in ebony".

Who was Iain's dad? I don't know of a uilleann pipe maker called Cameron, active during the 1980's? Anyone out there with one of the two CCM Harrington copies? Jon did your Harrington replica they play well?
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Mick Wilkins made two sets in B, one in ebony, the other in boxwood, based on (I understand) a Harrington C set with a Coyne C chanter which were in a museum and which were subsequently stolen. The ebony set looked very similar to the set in the photo in the uilleannobsession link.
PJ
jon1908

Post by jon1908 »

Mick Wilkins was indeed Iain’s father and I got in touch with him once I bought the ebony set. The week after I bought the set, Troy Donockley put his boxwood set for sale.

Brian Howard had done some work on my set for the previous owner, I did a bit more and then sold them on as I’d bought a Rogge B set. The chanter, although unkeyed, played nicely and was in tune. The bore profile was very, very close to the bore profile of the set on the Sean Reid CD.

My set went to Denmark.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
tbjack

Post by tbjack »

iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

I'm not sure it is a scam.
The seller also has a set of Reel pipes for sale on eBay and a piping group on Facebook.
He's quite a well known piper, even known in medical circles i believe.

I may be wrong but I think its legit.

Iain
tbjack

Post by tbjack »

iain beag wrote:
I'm not sure it is a scam.
The seller also has a set of Reel pipes for sale on eBay and a piping group on Facebook.
He's quite a well known piper, even known in medical circles i believe.

I may be wrong but I think its legit.

Iain
Bellows may be legit but the drones just look like a reworked Pakistani set to me. The seller may be unaware so I was wrong to call it out as a scam (seller was possibly victim of a scam) but I don't believe they were made by Leo.
Jarlath Henderson

Post by Jarlath Henderson »

Hey,

Yeah, I’ve stuck em up for sale. Nice hints from you folk before. No secret. They’ve sat in my cupboard for the past 6 years. I got them from a lady from the north of Scotland, who had originally got them from north of England in the 80s. They’ve left a few pipemakers scratching their heads! I’d hold on to them if it weren’t for a nasty bill!

Regards,

Jarlath
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Do they contain ivory?
PJ
m coulter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by m coulter »

For what it's worth I've never seen a Pakistani half set with bass drone bends made from one continuous piece of tubing. Usually have a, not particularly to scale, wooden section in the middle.
bepoq
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

If it helps, I have a set of drones clearly by the same maker (wood turning and metal identical, including the design of the drone switch, though metal is brass, and the mounts and puck are different. It is a nice sounding set of drones, even though they are not particularly pretty. They are stamped by what looks to be the same stamp on the main stock. For what it's worth, Benedict Koehler has pointed out to me on more than one occasion that Leo's work was frequently not terribly pretty externally, but was almost always very good sonically.

B
Flutes, whistles, pipes: Come From Away, Broadway

CD, The Mouse in the Mug, available.

Avatar painting by Vincent Crotty of Kerry, now Boston. Visit his site here
tbjack

Post by tbjack »

bepoq wrote:If it helps, I have a set of drones clearly by the same maker (wood turning and metal identical, including the design of the drone switch, though metal is brass, and the mounts and puck are different. It is a nice sounding set of drones, even though they are not particularly pretty. They are stamped by what looks to be the same stamp on the main stock. For what it's worth, Benedict Koehler has pointed out to me on more than one occasion that Leo's work was frequently not terribly pretty externally, but was almost always very good sonically.

B
Looks like I was wrong to jump in on that one and I apologise to all concerned. They just looked 'wrong' to me and I fired off a message. Will be more careful in future.