Ebay Items

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ian Lawther
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Ebay Items

Post by Ian Lawther »

john wrote:There's a rowsome copy practice set by Steve and Kim. Any information on these?
The same people are listing Northumbrian smallpipes (a new departure for the Pakistani pipemakers). They have recently put up a recording on Soundcloud to demonstrate the quality. However the clip is stolen from someone else's Soundcloud page, and they are playing a Richard and Anita Evans set. The piper in question has reported this to both eBay and Soundcloud, but this tells you something about the scruples of "Kim and Steve"
westerneyes

Post by westerneyes »

Ian Lawther wrote:The same people are listing Northumbrian smallpipes (a new departure for the Pakistani pipemakers). They have recently put up a recording on Soundcloud to demonstrate the quality. However the clip is stolen from someone else's Soundcloud page, and they are playing a Richard and Anita Evans set. The piper in question has reported this to both eBay and Soundcloud, but this tells you something about the scruples of "Kim and Steve"
They also now have "samples" of their supposed uilleann pipes on their Soundcloud as well:
https://soundcloud.com/steve-widdicombe-797164513

All of the "samples" sound like they were recorded on a cell phone (or some other inferior device) put up to a speaker playing the original source material. One of the sound files is obviously a synthesizer playing uilleann pipe samples, and the other two are obviously recordings ripped off from bands/artists.

Thoroughly unscrupulous!
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've seen one of these chanters up close recently. The wood turning was of a much higher quality than other Pakistani sets I've seen in the past. The C key also seemed much better fit. The chanter didn't have a reed so I didn't get a chance to hear it or play it.
PJ
andymay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by andymay »

I agree the chanter looks a bit better in the photos.

But the action of using someone else's recording as your audio sample, aside from being plain dishonest, suggests that either

1. The chanter for sale doesn't sound very good/work very well, or

2. The guys making/selling them don't know how to play.

A
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
john

Post by john »

look at the items to do with the feedback that kim and steve have given as buyers
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
kenr

Post by kenr »

Those drawings were done by Dave Williams. His script is unmistakeable. I thought the Armagh piper's club had been given the contents of his workshop.

The fact they've been withdrawn so quickly suggests they should never have been offered for sale.

Ken
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes Ken, I thought it was Dave's handwriting when I compared the writing on the drawings with letters I have from Dave. Dave told me he had taken measurements of pipes in York Museum when I ordered a B/Bb chanter from him in the early 1980's. I think he also measured the Harrington set in York Museum before it was stolen.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

I have a set of those drawings, thus I know who made them and they were not made by Dave Williams, though I do not dispute that he would have measured the set at at some stage.

It looks like a cheeky ebay listing , a few photocopies of someone else's work.
kenr

Post by kenr »

Geoff, I don't want to start an argument here but Thomas and I both based our opinion on the ebay items looking like Dave's handwriting. If you know different, all I can say is your source has handwriting identical to Dave's.

Dave gave me copies of some drawing of a different set and the style and handwriting is the same as the ebay drawings.

Regards,

Ken
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Well Ken,

I'm no handwriting expert but I reiterate , I have those drawings and they are signed and dated by the person who made them and that person gave copies to me in 1984. In one of the ebay photos of the chanter drawing the name has been obscured but it is on the same line as the date 28/4/80...

I am also not trying to start an argument but ,as always, just wish to be accurate.

The person who did the work may well come forward and own to it but I do not want to disclose his name for fear he could be unduly pestered .
Chris Bayley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Chris Bayley »

Geoff is correct and they are not Dave Williams notes and also have copies from the originator so am well aware of whose they are. Not certain if he reads this forum but he has been notified as they are his intellectual property.

Chris
kenr

Post by kenr »

Okay, I stand corrected then,
Ken
Last edited by kenr on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I'm quite sure Dave measured the Egan set and possibly the Harrington set that was at York Castle Museum. I distinctly remember Dave saying he had been to York Castle Museum after getting permission to measure the pipes they had. Does anyone else know about the Harrington set that was stolen? Did it ever resurface or is it in someone's private collection? I too thought the e-bay drawings were Dave's work as the writing is uncannily similar to Dave's penmanship. I think I can guess then who did make the drawings as there aren't too many, of the few pipe makers from that time, still with us. Is there any documentation of the York Harrington set from before it was stolen? I'm starting to doubt myself now. There was a Harrington set at York Castle Museum wasn't there?