Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Pictures of Your Pipes

Post by PJ »

bensdad wrote:Wouldn't you think set-up and balancing would be the responsibility of the maker?
CJ Dixon ceased producing a few years ago.
PJ
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Yes, I got this Dixon set second-hand from a Highland piper who had them for a number of years but never quite got the hang of bellows-blown pipes. And he had originally obtained it second-hand from somebody else. Over the several years and hundreds of miles that these pipes have seen, things have gone a little "out of whack." I'm finding it difficult to get the artificial drone reeds (made by CJ Dixon) to respond well to a normal level of bag pressure (what feels normal to me, anyway), through various adjustments. I have a set of composite reeds by EzeeDrone that work like a charm, but sound a little wimpy in these drones. I've managed to contact a former pipemaker in my area for some assistance, though.
deltasalmon
Tell us something.: I am a fan of Irish Traditional Music and am currently looking for advice on how to play the Uilleann Pipes to the best of my ability. I also play the C#/D box.

Post by deltasalmon »

The pipes are nothing out of the ordinary but I'm happy to finally start the journey :)

RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Welcome to the dark side, deltasalmon. :thumbsup:
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

A lovely little set of 19th century pipes I recently acquired. Maker undetermined at this point. 4 drones, 2 regs and a double chanter.

My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

I was a bit embarrassed about this and didn't post it when I got my Dixon 3/4 set almost a year ago (how time flies!).
But I figured maybe people could use a laugh or snicker in these trying times... :tomato:

At one point during his stint at pipe-making CJ Dixon was affixing these kitschy "Irish blessing" souvenir trinkets to the back of the base drone resonator/puck:

Based on some old discussions/critiques I found here on C&F, I believe this dates my set to around 2005/2006.
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

RLines wrote:A lovely little set of 19th century pipes I recently acquired. Maker undetermined at this point. 4 drones, 2 regs and a double chanter.

We need a video!!!! Never heard a double chanter! ;)
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

The set needs reeds. I will hopefully get that done over the summer, and if the double is playing I will put something on YouTube.

I also have a double chanter for my Taylor set which is reeded and playing. If I get a chance I'll post something.

Rick
My YouTube
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

RenaissanceGuy wrote:I was a bit embarrassed about this and didn't post it when I got my Dixon 3/4 set almost a year ago (how time flies!).
But I figured maybe people could use a laugh or snicker in these trying times... :tomato:

At one point during his stint at pipe-making CJ Dixon was affixing these kitschy "Irish blessing" souvenir trinkets to the back of the base drone resonator/puck:

Based on some old discussions/critiques I found here on C&F, I believe this dates my set to around 2005/2006.
Nothing wrong with that. I think we need all the good intentions we can find these days. An Irish blessing never hurt anyone, intentionally.
hayraddin
Tell us something.: I play irish music on my whistle and low whistle and im trying to buy a second hand uillean pipe set.

Post by hayraddin »

My pipes in my modified Violin case.

RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Nice pipes @hayraddin. Who made them?
Philly The Piper
Tell us something.: I am a highland piper and an uilleann piper. I am nearing retirement and I want to get in touch with other players. No particular goals in mind. I might try to get to a few festivals and finally learn some technique. I make my own reeds but they never sound in tune so some help there would be great.

Post by Philly The Piper »

Going thru all the photos has made me jealous. Gotta get some practice done to justify
buying a new set.
RLines

Post by RLines »

Malcolm MacGregor C sharp set. Dating from 1810-20. Purchased 10 years ago in pieces from an antique dealer. Finally beautifully restored by Sam Lawrence.

My YouTube
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Lovely. How about a sound file or video of it in action?
PJ
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

A damn fine set
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.