Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Lesleyconnor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann pipes are traditional Irish woodwind instrument consisting of bag, bellows, chanter, drones and regulators. It is said they take 21 years to learn them but in my case you could double that

Re: Pictures of Your Pipes

Post by Lesleyconnor »

deltasalmon
Tell us something.: I am a fan of Irish Traditional Music and am currently looking for advice on how to play the Uilleann Pipes to the best of my ability. I also play the C#/D box.

Post by deltasalmon »

I have no pictures of my pipes as they haven't been built yet, but they've been ordered. I didn't see a better place to post this so feel free to delete it but I'm happy to finally be dipping my toes into the world of piping.

If you were wondering, I ordered a practice set from David Daye and am hoping to receive it around January.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

deltasalmon wrote:I have no pictures of my pipes as they haven't been built yet, but they've been ordered. I didn't see a better place to post this so feel free to delete it but I'm happy to finally be dipping my toes into the world of piping.

If you were wondering, I ordered a practice set from David Daye and am hoping to receive it around January.
Great. :) I got meet David Daye and to try a half-set of his recently. I think you’ll be quite happy with your practice set.

Wishing you all the best,
Aaron
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

A full set I recently made in Queensland gidgee.

Tenor and baritone regulators are made from measurements I took of a Dennis Crowley set. The bass regulator is from the McKeon Rowsome set plans from NPU.

David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Nice work.
PJ
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

Thanks PJ :)
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Hopefully this is the right place for this little experiment of mine...
I'm working on this 3D-printed bass drone resonator/puck. This is actually my first 3D printing project ever!
I don't expect it to have superb acoustical qualities, but it will give a little visual character to my drones, which are of dubious provenance. :oops:

Top view:

Bottom view:
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't expect it to have superb acoustical qualities,
You may want to consider if the hollow box is the way you want to (or even : should) go.
My brain hurts

RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I don't expect it to have superb acoustical qualities,
You may want to consider if the hollow box is the way you want to (or even : should) go.
Good point, thank you.
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

And here's my resonator/puck experiment, all complete! I decided to go with the hollow box after all, since my bass drone (or should I say, assembly line bass drone replica) came with a solid decorative "tulip" type piece on the end... I figured, what could it hurt to have this be the other way?

This is 3D printed in Nylon PA 12 material. I applied paint to match the wood and decorative rings, glued the pieces together, and applied a glossy clear coat. I guess I could have gotten the surfaces smoother first.
The puck nicely improves the volume and the tonal quality; a pleasant surprise.

RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

I received my 3D printed chanter from Kenneth McNicholl, sooner than I expected. I ordered it sprayed black, with nickel-plated C natural key. Mr. McNicholl included two reeds. So far I am really enjoying learning on this chanter.

As can be seen in the first two photos, I made a couple embellishments of my own, so that it might have a little more of a traditional appearance.

ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Grand pictures :party:
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

After driving several hours this weekend to pick it up, I am thrilled to have this CJ Dixon 3/4 set! :love:
I am the third owner of this set. It was first taken in person by the first owner from Ontario down to San Francisco, then with the second owner up to southern Oregon, and now further on up with me to the Seattle, Washington area.

The brass drone reeds with plastic tongues are giving me a bit of trouble... I may end up switching them out for the EzeeDrone reeds which I have been using successfully in my "budget" Franken-half-set. The regulator reeds are also synthetic, and they sound rather nice to my ear. The cane chanter reed plays very well in both octaves, though it's more open than I'm comfortable with, so I am going to make some adjustments until it's just right for me. And the bellows action is smooth like butter. :o

RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

I put my bag cover on this set, as little bits of suede were getting on my shirt when I played.
Got the regs set up and balanced well with the chanter. Still working on the drones.

bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Wouldn't you think set-up and balancing would be the responsibility of the maker?
Is there a problem with the drones?