Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
stew
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

"THANKS"! ME "BOY" TONE~O
"I'll have" Two or three of you playing and a couple of the set "please if I May".

(P.S.) Dont forget a good background its really important for my site, cheers tony catch ya later.
Davey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Davey »

Sorry..I meant to send a private msg! Too early in the morning for my feeble mind!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Davey on 2003-02-26 08:32 ]</font>
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Here's a picture of my Koehler/Quinn B set that I bought from tok.

Last edited by Lorenzo on Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

The pipes pictured in Lorenzo's message of 26 Feb 2003 at 17:10 include a chanter done in ziricote. The little white stud above the R4 hole is there because the person for whom the chanter was initially made has a damaged nerve in his right little finger, and wanted a guide of some sort.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

David, interesting note about the stud. I was thinking it might have been a trademark.

Lorenzo, thanks for the picture!
I have a Childress B chanter out for re-reeding. I miss it already!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Thanks David, for the clarification on wood type. Several people have been wondering. And what a great idea to place the little white stud just above the little-finger hole...I have been using it for reference to get my bearings ever since I started playing the set (the holes are so tiny you can hardly feel them...you just know what is working and what isn't) For the first few weeks my right hand was sore from the stretch, and still is, kind of.

I pleasantly discovered a great way of playing "The Fisherman's Lilt" up to speed in both C and D (thinking in terms of standard D chanter fingerings) but in C, what interested me with this 3/4 set was how friendly the regs are, and surprisingly I was able to find the sustaining C chord

bar. reg =X O X X=====]
ten. reg =O X X X X=]

for the beginning of both the first and second parts, and an F chord

bar. reg =O X X X====]
ten. reg =O X X X X=]

for the only other chord needed. Sounds way cool played in C (technically this would be the key of A on a "B" chanter).

I found the lower chords easier to reach on these long regs by tying the blow stock-- coming out of the bag--to my belt. That pulled the bag to the left just enough, and kept it there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lorenzo on 2003-02-26 20:57 ]</font>
Davey

Post by Davey »

Lorenzo...

Robert Reid often put these little nubs on his chanters. I've a pic of a chanter of his that has nubs between every finger hole!! I'll post it on my website later today..

HOW could you give up the flat?! I found that once I went flat, my D playing improved IMMENSELY...besides the wonderful tonal aspects of the flat pitch...the tool it prsents in expressiveness and practice is unmistakeable! (making you feel guilty yet?! I've regretted EVERY sale of a personal instrument I've ever made!)

Come to the dark side Lorenzo..
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Hey there all;

DM, where do you get your pearwood? I'm making some things and I've been trying to find some raw pearwood and/or rosewood; the specialty stores near me don't have any so I'm kinda stuck. I'm up in Canada but I could mail order it if it's not too dear, I only want some small blocks, about 4" x 4" and some sticks/dowels. Thanks all, I've really enjoyed this thread and hope to get my pipes up when I can get a camera and some time.

Mark
Davey

Post by Davey »

...different David...but I've gotten pearwood either from Gilmer Woods in the U.S. or A & M wood supply from Canada...
I've found it's a good idea to "seal" fruitwoods like pear and apple when used for things like the pipes.

The urls are:
http://www.gilmerwood.com
http://www.forloversofwood.com

I hope this is helpful..

DB
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Davey...I think I've been emersed in the dark side, ie, the flat pipes, enough to agree with your sentiments. I play with a band and find the Ds more useful for most of what I do...and they're wonderful. My restored Ds are working so great, I need to keep them reeds limber too, even more so.

The Bs are so sensitive, which I really like. You can't do all the same exact fingering things interchangably with Ds and Bs, and expect the same results. The Ds impress me with more rightness, technically. Something about them is not quite so forgiving. But stacoto, and closed hole fingering...they're the best. So easy. I'm almost inadvertently doing closed hole fingerings on tunes I never really meant to before. And, I've slowed a lot of the tunes way down...much more pleasant and beautiful on the Bs.

I've often wondered how a pipe maker, or any instrument maker, can part with his personal hand-made work of art.

But, on the other hand, I'm starting a new house middle of March and need to put any extra $$$$ into that. It was great having this set during the lull though, and a great opportunity to emerse myself in their mellowness. I think Im getting melancholy. (thanks tok--forever indebted)
Davey

Post by Davey »

I'm just finishing a B set for a friend in the local piper's club...
..and it's absolutely breaking my heart to give it up! My wife teases me..but I mean..it's like giving up your own child! Especially one with a hollow boxwood stock...
:sad: Can I go cry now...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Davey on 2003-02-27 14:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Davey on 2003-02-27 14:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Davey on 2003-02-27 14:06 ]</font>
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

D pipers, if only you knew the power of the Dark Side...(mechanical breathing sounds along with bellows noises).
Davey

Post by Davey »

You HAVE to admit..the drones DO* sound an awful lot like light sabers sometimes...

...I've got WAY too much free time today...I don't mean to annoy anyone!..I'm a high school teacher and today is Testing and conferences! YAWN!
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Davey;

You live close enough to me that we could practically toss rather meaty softballs at each other...care for a cross-border snowball fight? :smile:

Thanks very very much for those URLs, they're going to come in handy soon. Looking at the Gilmer site's photos has made me drool.... all those lovely burls..... pardon me while I clean up my keyboard. Thanks again!

Mark
Davey

Post by Davey »

Did someone say SNOWBALL FIGHT!!?? I haven't had a good snowball fight in AGES...bugger..there's hardly enough decent snow in Minnesota for skirmish...

Yep..the lads over at gilmer are great! Their website is* pure heaven...especially their unique and one of a kind boards page...they've got some GREAT pieces. I bought some cocobolo from them for a hollow mainstock for a B set I'm working on...
Give A & M a try too...

DB