Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Polish them up... give them a new beginning :smile: But be warned, only use pH balanced polish!!!! This is very important, you can easily scar the brass if you use a petroleum based polish. Jewelers cloths are ideal.

Patrick.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Patrick, do you have a brand name polish you recommend? This comes up quite often. I've been using Wright's brass polish for a few years now and it doesn't appear to harm the brass in any way. It does contain ammonia though.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

What you need are called "Cape Cod Polishing Cloths". These work very nicely and are probably available from your local hardware store. Restoration Hardware has them too but for a massive premium!

A quick web search gave me this link as one of the cheapest online:
http://www.kilianhardware.com/capcodmetpol.html

Gluck,

Patrick.
tok
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tok »

Hey ! I know that store . Right in chestnut hill in philadelphia . I am from phila , and used to go there to get sandpaper for reedmaking . tok .
glands

Post by glands »

Do Not use ammonia-based polish. I nearly ruined my regulators. David Quinn says just let them alone and they'll develop a nice rewarding patina. He does have a preference for polish, though. Perhaps you could state it here if reading, David.
glands

Post by glands »

Re the Woof narrow bore D set...best solution is to send 'em to me for a while....I'll evaluate and recommend what you should do re polishing the brass :smile:
geber

Post by geber »

I use cheap toothpaste, works like jewelers rouge and leaves them minty fresh when your done. I've used it for years on my wife's brass collection so I'm confident that it is safe.

Mike
geber

Post by geber »

This set was crafted by Ian MacKinzie about 11 yrs ago. I've owned them for about a year and a half, and try to practice at least 30 mins a day, some days i get to spend a couple of hrs, but that's rare. Point is they are played regularly, and they are air tight. I had to re-glue the small mount on the chanter top when i first recieved them, and shorten the bag neck by about 1 1/2". This chanter is kinda on the loud side compared to other chanters I've heard, will make a good session instrument when and if I achieve that level of ability.
[img]http://www.netrelated.com/~jude58/"D"practice.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.netrelated.com/~jude58/"D"practice2.jpg[/img]

Mike
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Toothpaste huh?
I'll have to try that.

Mike, rename your pictures (take out the "quotes" from the file names) and they should showup
geber

Post by geber »

geber

Post by geber »

Thanks Tony, what would we do without ya!!

Mike
Tony

Post by Tony »

The differences are very slight. I'd say they both came from his Rowsome design.
Tony

Post by Tony »

OK, make that 16 year old.

It's a dirty job... but someone has to do it. Actually, they're polishing up quite nicely.
just have to finish off the bass drone.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

On 2003-01-10 18:29, Tony wrote:
14 year old Wooff narrow bore D halfset
slightly larger image:
http://www.angar.net/pipes/wooff_d_halfset.jpg
Arrived today from Australia.

Should I leave them 'aged' or should I polish all the brass parts... What think ye?
Just keep the "gunk" off the brass parts, but leave that patina alone. Just a personal opinion, but I think brass with a bit of patina is very beautiful. That should be a lovely set of pipes and I hope it brings you a lot of satisfaction.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks Pat, I feel fortunate this set became available when it did.
I considered Patrick D'Arcy's advice on a new beginning, so I went thru the set today. I wanted to check every part at least once to be sure every thing was good working order. Even the small stuff like adjusting the leather pad on the chanter stop key, while still trying to keep all the original parts. I'm pleased all is in good condition; no cracks in the wood and the turnings all roll straight on a tabletop. Just some seasoning in the bag and bellows and new neoprene inlet tube and I should be done. After that, I'll let the patina return without routine polishing.