Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
donpiper
antispam: No

Re: Pictures of Your Pipes

Post by donpiper »

ausdag wrote:Here's a chanter I made from PNG Ebony
[- quote format corrected - Mod.]

This chanter is MINE! mine, mine, mine!
if you b**tards want one get David to make one for yourself! :D

Seriously though, if it is like macassar ebony (which I am hoping it is)
I expect the tone to be a little richer than black ebony
in the lower register, fairly similar in the upper.

David says it is sounding beautiful, which I expect it is.

I will let you know in a few weeks, when I have paid for it, and recieved it.
donpiper

Post by donpiper »

Here is a vid of David doing scales on the PNG ebony chanter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0vrFXDS ... e=youtu.be

He was testing 2 dry weather reeds he made for me.
He left them a little hard so they will play in, but you can hear the tone of the chanter.

It's in the mail so hopefully I'll be playing it by the weekend.
donpiper

Post by donpiper »

The PNG ebony chanter sounds beautiful.
The tone is closer to black ebony than macassar ebony, but has a little something that I find quite attractive.

It looks a lot like macassar ebony. Very nice!
Titus
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Titus »

Hey,

here are some pictures of my new practice set of pipes.

It is built by Andreas Rogge and is made of plum, box and brass.

The chanter has a medium bore in D and is not as loud as a normal concert pitch set.
Though I ordered the bellows with plumwood, only one side is of plum, because he had not enough plum to build. Which is kind of said, because i explicitly (??) said that I wanted it in plum. The other side is probably pear ("after a few years you can't see any difference anyways").

At the moment there is a rush, because the high octave is a little low (?).

A speciality is the tuning slide for the reed, so i can tune the chanter without getting the reed out of the stock.

So, here are the pictures:

ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

Titus,
lovely schtick there. I had the chance to play it for a minute when I visited Andreas' workshop recently. I liked it very much. Have fun with it.
Christian
Titus

Post by Titus »

Thank you...

Now i have to practice for 10 days, before i'm going to a beginners workshop with Mick ;-)
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

Titus wrote:Thank you...

Now i have to practice for 10 days, before i'm going to a beginners workshop with Mick ;-)
Very nice looking chanter Titus. Andreas discussed with you that he had no more plum available and thus put pear on it?

I totally missread. I thought he put one side pear on the chanter, lol! :-D but it's on the bellows! I already found it strange! :) still...very nice looking! enjoy it!
Titus

Post by Titus »

DjUntzUntz wrote: Andreas discussed with you that he had no more plum available and thus put pear on it?
No, that's why I'm a little (only a little ;-) ) disappointed. I found out today, when I was in his workshop, he didn't tell me earlier.

But that's only an optical issue, not a technical...
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

Titus wrote:
DjUntzUntz wrote: Andreas discussed with you that he had no more plum available and thus put pear on it?
No, that's why I'm a little (only a little ;-) ) disappointed. I found out today, when I was in his workshop, he didn't tell me earlier.

But that's only an optical issue, not a technical...
you're right. Only optical and to be honest...it doesn't even look bad! If you didn't tell anyone I doubt anyone would've noticed! The chanter looks very nice though. Good luck!
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

Lovely stuff, Titus, congratulations! Just practice a lot and sweat on that pear side and it will match the plum side in no time :lol: Seriously beautiful pipes!

How do you like the 'tuning slide' for the reed? I think that's such an awesome idea. Does it work as well as would be expected, and does it affect tone/playing characteristic at all when moved up or down (obviously it affects the tuning, but does anything else change with it?) I'm surprised more makers aren't doing this sort of thing, or maybe they are and I'm just oblivious, or maybe does Rogge have it 'patented', so to speak?
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Titus

Post by Titus »

Hi,

I think, (after one day of practice) it works great. If and how the characteristic of the chanter changes, I couldn’t realize so far. But I havn’t been looking at this aspect, to be honest.

The only problem at the moment is that the mechanic is too low at the reed. So to tune the chanter to 440 Hz it all the way down and I have no more possibility to get it higher. So I have to adjust the attachment of the mechanics on the reed, which I hope is not that big a problem!

Greetings,
Marcel
mike delta

Post by mike delta »

Hi, the set looks great. How are you enjoying the narrow bore 'D'. It would be great to hear a few sound files at some point if you are able.
Regards,
Mike Delta
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

I had the pleasure of teaching Titus for the past few days and I can say that I found the sound of his chanter extremely pleasing, matching the beautiful outer appearance. While not being quite as loud as a wide bore chanter, it is by no means too quiet for anything you would expect from a concert pitch chanter, and considerably stronger than a "real" narrow bore chanter.
I am very sure this instrument will give his owner many years of happy piping!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'm not sure how to make the images load directly, but this link should take you to some pictures of the new concert full set I received from Makoto Nakatsui about 3 weeks ago. Macassar ebony with Turkish boxwood mounts, Itaya maple for the mainstock. Japanese oak bellows. Four-key chanter with stop key. Folded Taylor-style bass reg. Cane chanter reed, composite drone reeds, spruce reg reeds.

They are astounding! I couldn't be happier, and Makoto is an absolute pleasure to work with. I feel so very lucky.

https://app.box.com/s/czbzu0oe2c5l2d89wqwg
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I'm not sure how to make the images load directly, but this link should take you to some pictures of the new concert full set I received from Makoto Nakatsui about 3 weeks ago. Macassar ebony with Turkish boxwood mounts, Itaya maple for the mainstock. Japanese oak bellows. Four-key chanter with stop key. Folded Taylor-style bass reg. Cane chanter reed, composite drone reeds, spruce reg reeds.

They are astounding! I couldn't be happier, and Makoto is an absolute pleasure to work with. I feel so very lucky.

https://app.box.com/s/czbzu0oe2c5l2d89wqwg

OOOO! they look pretty! :boggle:
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.