Rubber bags

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
brendan ring
antispam: No

Rubber bags

Post by brendan ring »

Hi does anyone no where I can get a rubber type bag or if not what exactly they are made of or how to do it. I usually use leather but I have a customer who needs one of these and I've never used them before.
Thanks
Brendan
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Rubber bags

Post by PJ »

Paddy Keenan mentioned his father made bags from inner tubes from truck tires. Don't know where you can find these though.
PJ
idiotboynumber1

Post by idiotboynumber1 »

you could try Alan Ginsberg, his sets have synthetic bags -

or this? : http://www.bonanza.com/booths/golden_sa ... e_24385929
glasba
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

Post by glasba »

Hi Brendan,

1. I would suggest that you contact Andreas Rogge, as he offers great manmade material bag, made by Ross (Australia); he offers these bags besides his usual leather bags. As far as I understand, the material is kind of Nylon/Nypren type, developed specialy for Highland pipes. Andreas usualy makes stocks for bag if there is need. This bag also don't need any seasoning & is perfectly 100 % airtight. Material is so thin and light, but it looks and feels stronger then most vinyls.
I bought it from him and I liked it much more then few leather ones I tried. The price is no cheap as in case of some vinyl bags thought. The shape and size is almoust identical as leather Rogge bags - I saw. If you will contact him, mybe it is good to mention for what kind of set it will be; Practice, 1/2 or full, Anyway, he told me that it should work also for full sets.

2. There are also some people on this forum who made their versions of Vinyl bags and are happy with results.

3. & in Italy they are making special material called "Lorica" , which is extremly similar to leather. Great UK pipemaker once made bag and bellows from it for try and he was VERY surprised with the result - he used the same thickness as he would in case of leather. He even handstiched it, if I remember right and it worked. The look, feel and performance was as near to leather as it can be. Most people wouldn't even notice that it was not leather. But he put some inside seasoning with Robertson's original I think.

Best Regards, Ales
sjcavy
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

The Ross pipe bag, and many others like it can be found at Henderson's bagpipes ltd. The pipers hut online shop, or your local highland pipe supplier. They're about the same price as a L&M leather bag.
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

idiotboynumber1 wrote:you could try Alan Ginsberg, his sets have synthetic bags -
I have a Ginsberg set with one of these bags. I was quite surprised with how much I liked it.
After years of playing it sprung an leak and, being rubber, I used some "Shoe Goo" adhesive for the repair and it's been airtight ever since.

Anyone know exactly what type of rubber Alan uses for these bags? I'd love to get some.
brendan ring

Post by brendan ring »

Thanks guys, problem sorted, Alan Ginsberg is the man!