It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: UP reeds from Ebay
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:58 am 

I orderd,and recieved 3 Reg reeds from e-bay.Cool reed containers,but the reg reeds leaked at the sides pretty bad.Tuning is in the ballpark for the most part. Took the reeds apart,waxed the inside of the blades with renn wax,and rewrapped with tylex from NPU.They seem to be pretty well made,but the maker will need to do a better job binding these reeds.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:15 pm 

Chanterdan: How well do they play after you re-worked them? Are you satisfied?

The seller suggested just sanding the sides of the blades on my chanter reed to fix the misalignment issue. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'll disassemble and adjust it instead. I'll also report back on the dimensions of the various parts, unless someone already has this information and can post it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:14 pm 

Bass reg All on 4mm iD tubbing,witch seams huge for the tenor,and bass?
l=89.42 mm
w=11.25 ,staple L=aprox,60mm
Baritone Staple L= 52mm.
L=88.13
w=12.00

Tenor
L=77.82
W=11.00
Staple L=50 mm, get back to ya,on if they work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:14 pm 

Too good to be true.

Ok, Looks like the first reed I got from them was just a stroke of luck. I recieved 5 more today in the mail and all 5 were crap. 3 of them had crushed tips, and two of them had uneven blades, and unevenly sanded blades, mainly on the edges. All 5 were sanded too thin and are un-useable. Its amazing to me that they can make one excellent reed one day and make utter crap the next. I wouldn't waste my time buying another one. I wish now that my first reed from them was the crappy one, so I wouldn't have wasted my time and money trying more. Live and Learn. Seth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:48 pm 

Got the Baritone reg reed to work pretty well,did it by sliding 1 inch of 4mm Diameter tubing inside the 5mm staple.I have done this with chanter reeds for tenor,and bass regs.
The regs are Ginsburgh.
I agree with Seth,save your money.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:08 pm 

They refunded me and said they will send me 5 more for free to critique and said they will pay more attention to quality control. I sent them this link http://www.hartdd.com/reedmaking/Intro.html, and told them to use this as a guide and hopefully they will obtain sucess. I will keep everyone updated on these reeds. Hopefully they take my advise and improve quality control. If they do, I think they have potential, but its hard to tell if they will take the time to make them in a professional consistent manor. I have an excellent reed from them, so I know they can do it, but I also have 4 bad reeds and one semi-ok reed. I didn't ask for more reeds, but they emailed and said they were sending 5 more. I guess I'm getting 5 more, so I will let you know if they are improved. Seth :boggle:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:26 am 

chanterdan wrote:
I agree with Seth,save your money.

If it seems to good to be trooooo then it normally isnae :thumbsup: Ifn ye want tae give money.... the appeal still needs yooor help :wink: Every little would help...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:22 am 

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one.

I should have just donated to Uilliam's charity ( which I will anyway)

£10 for a nice reed case is a bit expensive though.

The reed itself is almost but not quite unusable. It's not airtight - the binding is nylon thread and it relies on a (thin) layer of PTFE tape for airtightness, the reed blades are just starting to split from the tight binding, the bridle is the hardest piece of copper I've ever seen and doesn't even soften appreciably with heating & quenching, the tips of the blade were chipped.

I took it apart, rebound it, new bridle fitted and it may just do as a spare baritone reg reed. The eye needed closing down, it was over 3mm inside measurement.

Looks like Seth got the good one, the others ain't as good. But you get what you pay for.

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:17 pm 

They gave me a full refund, but said they were going to send me 5 more for free to critique. I'm starting to wonder how they got all the positive feedback. I did leave positive feedback for my first reed, but I woudn't have left it if I would have recieved any of the 5 I got yesterday. They said the new reeds will be made with my recommended changes and more attention to detail. If they are any good, I will send them to you folks that got a bad one.

Also, they want to send me a set of carbon fibre drone reeds to try. I don't have a drone stand at the moment, so I need someone (Steve???) to volunteer to take these reeds and critique them for whatever its worth.

As Uilleam said, its probably too good to be true.... Unless they slow down and make sure the quality is there.

What is this charity thing you guys are talking about? I think I missed that.. I'm always looking for a write off on my taxes....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:04 pm 

Hi Seth,
Yes, I would be glad to try the carbon fiber drone reeds and report back.

I disassembled the chanter reed that I received and aligned the sides, re-tied it with waxed dental floss. I replaced the bridle as well, since it was pressing on the reed unevenly. The new bridle is able to close down the reed but it's not closing evenly because of the amount it has to close. I did get an "a" out of it, very sharp. It seems very leaky. Essentially unplayable still. I did not attempt to adjust any of the "factory settings", other than to close down the lips.

For what it's worth:

Overall length; 3 3/8"

Staple is made of copper tubing
length: 2.16"
I.D.: 3.85mm
eye opening: .08"
length of flattened portion: .75"

Reed blades:
length: 1.86"
length of scrape: 1"
head width: 12.5mm

I'm not inclined to spend any more time with this reed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:48 pm 

Doogie wrote:
What is this charity thing you guys are talking about? I think I missed that.. I'm always looking for a write off on my taxes....

Here is the link
:
:
:

:love:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80152
its at the end o all ma posts :wink:
Thankye..
Uilliam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:30 pm 

Doogie wrote:
They gave me a full refund, but said they were going to send me 5 more for free to critique. I'm starting to wonder how they got all the positive feedback. I did leave positive feedback for my first reed, but I wouldn't have left it if I would have received any of the 5 I got yesterday.

Well, I left them neutral feedback- after all, the service was fine, just the product wasn't fit for purpose. Since then, I've been bombarded with pleading emails to rescind the feedback, which I'm not going to do as they need to either: improve their reeds or stop selling them. Anyone else had similar?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:36 am 

perhaps the main object "the wooden tube "sells better than reed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:02 pm 

I'm not sure whether to laugh or whether I should take this discussion seriously . . . lol

Seems to me it would make more sense to forget buying a few of these and reworking them rather than investing in some good tools and a bagful of cane tubes. . . . or just calling your pipemaker for a good, quality reed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:50 pm 

thought i'd try one of these just for the hell of it. the 1st one was rubbish, completely unplayable so i sent it back.
the 2nd one is a really decent reed, much better than i ever expected. whoever makes them must know how to make reeds but really needs to sort the quality control out.
overall very pleased.
the wooden tube is really nice too.
jonathan.