Donnacha Dwyer pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
finnish piper
antispam: No

Donnacha Dwyer pipes

Post by finnish piper »

Does anyone know about Donnacha Dwyer full sets? Are they good? Are they great? Are they ok? Are they...

On his website they sound to me pretty good and and regs are in tune fine. http://www.donnachadwyer.com
MichaelLoos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: Donnacha Dwyer pipes

Post by MichaelLoos »

Here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45122&start=1710
are a few video samples.
Forget the little discussion about his homepage, it has been renewed since.
Somebody mentioned the unusally-shaped reg keys, in the meantime, I have seen a set with exactly the same shape keys, made by Dave Williams around 1980.
finnish piper

Post by finnish piper »

Thanks Michael.
Markus
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

A sort of thread revival: Does Donnacha have a website? I've found a FB page, but not a website with photos, prices etc.

My Williams 3/4 set made in 1979/80 has the same style of regulator keys, made of brass, as Donnacha's regulator keys. Did Donnacha work together with Dave at some point, or was he just influenced by Dave's pipes? Does Donnacha have a long waiting list? Just wondering as I'd like to get a bass regulator made for my Williams set and seeing that Donnacha's regulator keys are more or less the same style in what looks to be stainless steel, it would . I'd like it match the Williams tenor and baritone regulators that are on the set.

How do Donnacha's pipes compare with Marcus Coulter's pipes? From what I understand both makers make good instruments? Has anyone here ordered regulators from either of these two makers? Did it take a long time? I believe both are full time makers. I'll contact Donnacha on his FB page, but I'm interested in people's experience regarding waiting time for pipes, or parts of pipes from Donnacha or Marcus
bferdinand10
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by bferdinand10 »

Hello,
Donnacha, at some point in time worked with Des Seery who made flutes and pipes (I believe). In 2015, I sent my regulators to Donnacha, and he re-reeded them for me. He was able to get them playing again after at least 15 years, and they sound great. He was also very professional through the whole process, and is definitely worth tracking down.My two cents.
"If I could spend my days making art, playing my pipes, and being with my family and dogs.... I would be in paradise." ...Me.
cormacc

Post by cormacc »

Haven't played Marcus Coulter's pipes, but have played Donnacha's own D set on a number of occasions and found it great -- responsive and well-balanced. No idea what his waiting list is like at the moment, but he made a new stock for an old set of mine a couple of years back and I wasn't waiting long for it.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Thanks cormacc. I've just been in contact with Marcus who is moving to a new workshop, and has many orders to see through. He suggested I contact Donnacha, or David Lim in Manchester. David had slipped my mind, but when I looked at his web site, saw the photos, and heard his pipes, I was sold. So I've contacted David regarding a new stock and bass regulator.