Chip and Dipple Forum

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Chip and Dipple Forum

Post by Mr.Gumby »

That was a short practice.

But never mind me, I'll go back to practising my backstitches.
My brain hurts

eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Uilliam, we may not agree about much here in cyber-land, I'm sure we'd enjoy having tunes together in a pub, I'd be on my Lynch/Koehler 3/4 set, the same thing would be true for any of you who have issues with me or what I'm proposing...
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

OK Michael at least that is a start.I am sure we would get along just fine in real life on real instruments too.So I bid ye good fortune and peace.Time to draw breath and say "How feckin important is this anyway ?" I can think of hundreds more important problems in life to be a sorting.
Peace
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I agree, just proposing another forum to help make this place more useful and peaceful for everyone. We've all laid out our arguments, let's let the moderators make their decision.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The input on this thread is very informative, as I suspected it would be. Thanks, all, for your contributions so far.

We ain't done yet, but we're getting there. Please feel free to continue presenting your cases or conclude your arguments as you see fit; it all helps. Meanwhile, Admin is pondering the best stroke with which to cleave the baby. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Pipewort

Post by Pipewort »

Bill Reeder wrote

[quote]I don't mind seeing discussion about vpipes, apps, and such on the Uilleann forum. I don't own v-pipes or an I-pod and, as things stand right now, I don't particularly envision having them in the future. So, knowing that these things exist and reading about them is just so much more information which neither threatens me nor fills me with disdain for the product or their proponents. I have no problem with reading the posts or skipping over them at my pleasure and I don't feel the need to have a separate forum for these kind of posts.[quote]

To repeat myself, the music is the music, but I disagree with Bill Reeder. As the headers of the Forums categories describe, not withstanding the common interest in the music, the Vpipes, and similar, are as different as the other instruments given there own voice.

There is nothing in common in the production of sound between the two instruments, other than some fingering. Do we share forae with whistles and flutes, and fiddles. No. There is no connection between the production of sound from the supply of air to bellows to bag, and the change to upper octave, and the same change of octave of the Vpipes. Nor will the player have to battle with humidity, barometric pressure, maintenance issues, or reed production. They are the Vpipes advantages, but separate the two completely.

I would expect the blown reed to have the advantage in the right hands for the individual ability to produce unique range of colour and tone in the sounds produced.
The electronic pipe will produce the average of the sampled sound. Let them have there own section

Pwrt
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

So if there should be a new forum here, and following Michael's idea that it should be for all things electronic and somewhat music related, how about a new forum under the Off-Topic (More or Less) section.
Some name suggestions for this forum:
Electronics for Musicians
The Chiff and Fipple Techno Tub
Digital Dreamland
Chip and Dipple seems not quite appropriate for a family forum
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I've read this thread and the moderators are flying to Geneva this afternoon to discuss. Thanks.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Dale, thank you for your consideration on the matter!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dale wrote:I've read this thread and the moderators are flying to Geneva this afternoon to discuss. Thanks.
I'll be there, but expect me to be a bit late: I've priorly committed weeks ahead to be on hand for practice with the boys. If you don't feel like filling the time with some skiing we could do a Skype teleconference if things on my end get out of hand, but since I've squarely put my foot down after that last disaster we had with the bourbon I doubt that will be necessary; the spare jets are all fueled and in working order and the pilot's out of jail now, right? Meanwhile, save some raclette for me. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

ok lads, from Maine:
I think Mr Eskin, being a notable person in the Uilleann piping community, should be allowed to poast
about vpipes, or any other thing relating to Uilleann piping.

If folks aren't interested....don't click the frikin thread!

There's plenty of threads I find useless... for me, and so I don't click em.

It's not like he's trying to get pipers to abandon the craft..

m.h.o.

ps. I think when we're old & gray, we'll be sorry we spent time arguing about things like this.
m.h.o.#2

:)
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

No ye won't,ye will be glad that ye lived a life :wink: Life should have its little moments o frisson otherwise ye would never appreciate the calm .... :really:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

yeah I agree ol boy, but wrangling over the internet....
:poke:
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

After playing these vpipes for a month or so now, gradually increasing the pressure setting on the bag sensor, i`m pleased to report my shoulder has suffered no ill effects. But i kind of hanka for the real thing still, sooooooooo.....i took the plunge and bought the mk 4 Hunter chanter and a bag from Sam, so shortly i will playing a real wooden chanter with cane reed. I`ll still play my vpipes more than the real thing because of thier portability, in me car, at work etc. I wont play them however within a mile of an English defence league demo, as i was sitting in my truck outside a music shop in Dudley at the weekend, waiting for me daughter who was having a piano lesson, when i got me vpipes out and had a couple of minutes practising. There were 2 demos going on in the town about half a mile away, the English defence league and the unite against facism group. The next thing i knew, 4 burly coppers in riot gear surrounded the car and demanded to know what i had in my hands. I explained i was waiting for my daughter and plugged the vpipes into the car radio to demonstrate they were electronic bagpipes and not a remote detonating device. After various radio messages between themselves they seemed to believe me but pointed out that i would be better playing them at home on that particular day.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

ferris54 wrote:I wont play them however within a mile of an English defence league demo, as i was sitting in my truck outside a music shop in Dudley at the weekend, waiting for me daughter who was having a piano lesson, when i got me vpipes out and had a couple of minutes practising. There were 2 demos going on in the town about half a mile away, the English defence league and the unite against facism group. The next thing i knew, 4 burly coppers in riot gear surrounded the car and demanded to know what i had in my hands. I explained i was waiting for my daughter and plugged the vpipes into the car radio to demonstrate they were electronic bagpipes and not a remote detonating device. After various radio messages between themselves they seemed to believe me but pointed out that i would be better playing them at home on that particular day.
Tough crowd.