Chip and Dipple Forum

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jose' Scotte' Este'
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Chip and Dipple Forum

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

Now that we know the Vpipes actually exist, I propose a new forum called the Chip and Dipple for electronic instruments and the bagless people that play them. Plugged in for your pleasure.
"Luck is important"
ferris54
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Chip and Dipple Forum

Post by ferris54 »

Luddite
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

Jose' Scotte' Este' wrote:Now that we know the Vpipes actually exist, I propose a new forum called the Chip and Dipple for electronic instruments and the bagless people that play them. Plugged in for your pleasure.
finally a forums for my techno-folk synthisiser stylings! Bring it on.

actually no. some music should never leave the bedroom.
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

2nd Luddite
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

and no 3 luddite is definatly uilliam :tomato:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

chris_coreline wrote:actually no. some music should never leave the bedroom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBlj9EZFWMs
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

Are you dissing the master, Barry White??

Shame on you
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

ferris54 wrote:Are you dissing the master, Barry White??

Shame on you
Oh, come, now. What better atmosphere for heightened expectations in the boudoir than a cassette tape of "Love's Theme", a couple of glasses of White Zinfandel, the scent of hair mousse, and a water bed? Those WERE the days. Have you no nostalgia in you?

And yes. I think it should stay, if stay it must, in the bedroom. Hearing its subtly lubricious strains played in the supermarket while I'm inspecting the bread or seeking out the cat litter is just on so many levels of wrong.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Nanohedron wrote:
And yes. I think it should stay, if stay it must, in the bedroom. Hearing its subtly lubricious strains played in the supermarket while I'm inspecting the bread or seeking out the cat litter is just on so many levels of wrong.
We are o course talking VPipes the noo aren't we ,couldna agree more.It is only a matter o time I fear afore we hear em everywhere.Lifts, shopping malls, toilets. The future is bleak. I predict that as numero 3 luddite.How I quite got there is beyond me as Luddites didnae have a hierachy ,one for all and all for one.Wi the exception of King Ludd but even he belived in equality hence the wearing o male and female apparel.

Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Uilliam wrote:We are o course talking VPipes the noo aren't we...
Nnnnnnot exactly, but there's no reason you couldn't expand on the theme. And you did! Brought us back on topic doing it, too.
Uilliam wrote:The future is bleak I predict that as numero 3 luddite.How I quite got there is beyond me as .Luddites didnae have a hierachy one for all and all for one.
uilliam
...he said from his peat-fired computer.
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

.Luddites didnae have a hierachy one for all and all for one.

I think your confused with the Three musketers

No your a Luddite, tis a good thing you were not around when some pipe maker came up with the concert d pitch, you'd have burned him at the stake.

Your real name isn't Mathew Hopkins is it?
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

Luddite numero uno, here (aka: Jose' Scotte' Este', hair designer to the stars!)

I didn't want to burn anyone at the stake with my post, but the latest vpipe threads seems to me to be getting pretty far-removed from anything remotely related to authentic uilleann piping, and I find them rather boring to watch and listen to as well. I have to admit I was interested in the v-pipes when I first heard about them years ago, and I still think that they could be a valuable practice tool for those who live with others, like my spouse, who is none to thrilled with my piping. One can argue that they are a musical instrument, in that they allow the expression of art through sound, blah blah blah... The v-pipe is an electronic instrument It is not uilleann pipes. How about a separate forum for these kinds of topics...

Back to the hair studio....
"Luck is important"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Jose' Scotte' Este' wrote:The v-pipe is an electronic instrument It is not uilleann pipes. How about a separate forum for these kinds of topics...
Good question. As I see it - at this time - vPipes are intentionally so closely analogous to the real deal (fingering, performance goals, what have you) that it's hard for me to see justifying a separate forum. To my thinking it would not be unlike forming a separate forum for practice chanters away from a GHB forum because they're bagless and have plastic reeds. I don't see the value in it. Yet. And, this would have to be Dale's call. Everyone's votes here would count toward informing such a decision, though.

At this time, of course there's a lot of noise and notice; they're the new kid on the block. I'd be terribly surprised if the excitement didn't simmer down as it usually does with anything else (MY excitement has died down by now, FWIW), and moreover I believe that few if any would seriously think to cast aside real pipes for electronic at the end of the day. Plus I'm willing to go out on a limb and suggest that if you took a poll, vPipes owners would be far in the minority to the rest of the community.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Actually, a forum devoted to the use of technology including various virtual instruments like the vPipes and my and other developer's apps for various platforms might be a very good idea. The same forum could also host discussions on recording equipment, software, sampling systems, etc.

It would provide a single point for those interested in the subject to have an open discussion and would avoid all the conflict that seems to arise when discussions of vPipes or iPad/iPhone apps get interspersed with discussions on the acoustic instruments. As more instruments and apps are developed, the conflicts will only increase.

I certainly don't feel like I have a place here where I can talk about what I'm developing anymore except for my once-a-month commercial posts for fear of being assaulted by those who have no interest in what I'm doing. I would welcome such a new forum, it certainly would be at least as active as, for example, the concertina board.

Cheers,

Michael
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

ferris54 wrote:.Luddites didnae have a hierachy one for all and all for one.

I think your confused with the Three musketers

No your a Luddite, tis a good thing you were not around when some pipe maker came up with the concert d pitch, you'd have burned him at the stake.

Your real name isn't Mathew Hopkins is it?
Naw I am not confused wi anything ma wee friend, unlike yersel ,ye seem to be confusing VPipes wi Real Pipes.The Muskateers had a comradely and fraternal policy o unity hence the motto as did the Luddites .They were early Trade Unionists and I am proud to be a Luddite.I am no witchfinder and I think ye better take note o the 1st person policy and ease aff on the personal attacks which could be offensive to witches.
As fer transferring this whole piece of electronic wizardry to a new forum ..no need. It could and should go to the Musical Genre Hybridization Forum,although wether they would welcome ye or not is another question.E is quite right to be wary of posting too much fer fear o being ridiculed.
Slán Agat
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.