So I've decided to take the plunge!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Well, as of 1:00 PM this afternoon, I decided once and for all to take the plunge and order a full set of pipes from Seth Gallagher in New York.

The price tag isn't cheap (probably over $7,000 when all is said and done) BUT it's going to be well worth it if half the reviews of his work hold true.

Pray for me...this makes the worst cases of WhOA look like a mild cough!

Bri~

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Lee on 2001-09-02 09:09 ]</font>
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Congrats...
You won't be disapointed
John Allison
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by John Allison »

I'm afraid that's not the end of it! Won't you need to buy a used practice set to start with, until your real set comes...then maybe a chanter in another key...or a fully keyed chanter...or...???
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

On 2001-09-02 03:00, John Allison wrote:
I'm afraid that's not the end of it! Won't you need to buy a used practice set to start with, until your real set comes...then maybe a chanter in another key...or a fully keyed chanter...or...???
Well, I've looked around at lots of options and all, and decided to just go all out! I'm going to get just about every bell and *ahem* 'whistle I can get on this set! SEE?! Being hit by some dumb lady in a Jeep while innocently sitting at a stop light has it's advantages! Now I just have to wait for the lawyers to do their thing.

Anyway, I was going to get the full deal...fully keyed chanter(Cnat. Fnat, G# and Bb), wooden reed cap with stop valve, stainless or silver keys and accents, bag cover, travel case, extra reeds, etc.

Now all that said and done...there IS a year and a half wait...at LEAST, so I think I WILL need to grab a practice set in the mean time! Looking at David Daye's stuff.

Again...PRAY for me! :wink:

B~
adrianh

Post by adrianh »

Brian,

I'll pray that your new set of pipes arrive in record time !!!

Are you allowed to post "pipe" music on Clips and Snips? If so, it would be great to hear a snippet or two when you receive them.

It's almost worth going out and getting involved in an accident of some sort.......

All the best,
A
><>

P.S. I hope you weren't injured in the collision !!!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

You've check to see if there is water in the pool? Riiiiight?

Go for it. You might need some calomine lotion in about 13 months and have to wear cotton gloves, but the wait will be worth it.

I was looking a Chris Wilkes flute and the wait is six years, if you act now!!

All the best.

Mark
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Was I injured?

Well, let's just say that a minor case of double whiplash is better than a whistle impaled through the brain stem! :smile:

I spoke with Seth today actually for about a half an hour. WHAT A NICE MAN! I swear, the more people I meet with roots in Irish music, the nicer they get!

I send the deposit off to him tomorrow, and then after roughly 18 months (practicly HALF the wait for my O'Riordans!) which in the grand scheme of things really isn't all THAT long, I should have my full set!

Anyway, I'll be sure to keep all of you posted!

Brian~