St. Patrick's Day activities

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

St. Patrick's Day activities

Post by PJ »

Last evening, I played the pipes for a very nice audience in an old folks home in Quebec city. I played some jigs and reels, they tapped their feet, we paused for Irish coffees and then an old lady in a wheelchair sang a verse of "When Irish Eyes are Smiling" (she had a beautiful voice). One 90-year-old lady told me her brother was a highland piper but he died during WWII. An old gentleman originally from Maine was facinated with the workings of the pipes and asked about how it was made, when by whom, etc.

Not your typical Paddy's Day gig, but very enjoyable!

What war stories have you guys got to report?
PJ
TheSilverSpear

Re: St. Patrick's Day activities

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Was out on the bevvy and playing tunes from about 3pm to 2am. Had a gig in a pub that was so loud that we could barely hear ourselves, even with a PA, then, after sitting around drinking, staggered to the usual Wed night session pub, where for once we had a bar tab. Had a crackin' session until they kicked us out at 2.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I played for the annual Mayor's breakfast and then did a half hour recital/demo/whatever at the large event in town. Afterwards I wandered around trying to find a lucrative busking location. At one spot I got hit in the head by a frisbee :evil:. I ended up on the 'staggerway' between several bars, where I helped incredibly drunk people lighten their wallets some. Home by 5:45 pm, in bed by 9:30. :thumbsup:
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I went to work yesterday and put in my time, then went off to the pub to do a gig with the missus and a few friends. It was noisy but fun and we had an appreciative audience of mixed generations - literally 3 months old to about retirement age.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

After 1 1/2 hrs of (attempting to) play on a very large stage w. "musicians" who couldn't play in time to save their lives., a New Yorker came to the foot of the stage demanding, "play some oyyyrish mewwwsick, play some oyyyrish mewwwsick! Loik, win oyyyyrish oyyzzz ah smoilin!" One of that guitarists responded with, " lady that song was written in BUFFALO, NEW YORK!"

At one point, I thought my own life was in danger as the imposed dragging tempo slid so quickly downwards, that I regretted having not rented a anti-gravity-suit for the event....in green of course!

Maybe, I'll stay indoors next year?!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

My sister teaches preschool a few blocks from here, so I played for her class of 3- and 4-year-olds. They asked lots of good questions, danced their little heads off, and collapsed on their mats for a nap. I gave my sister a big hug and beat a retreat, but not before collecting my pay in cupcakes.

Best St. Patrick's Day gig ever :thumbsup:
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

11 - 2 p.m. in a tent
2:30 - 5:30 p.m. at a pub across town
6 - 10 p.m. at a fancy private party on the 25th floor of a downtown building

:boggle: But all in all it went well and was a really nice day (comparatively speaking, of course). Only played my pipes at the last gig, where it took them a while to cotton to the concept of air conditioning (and they're just getting over the winter stuff, poor things), but it went OK.

And hey, it's paying for my Tionol trip :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Cathy Wilde wrote:11 - 2 p.m. in a tent
Upstairs? :P

Played two office parties this year, one Saturday, one yesterday. Nice venues, good acoustics, responsive and appreciative crowds. Couldn't ask for much more. No pubs, restaurants, 30 second TV spots, outdoor sham-fests competing with Flogging Polly.

I figure any St. Pat's that doesn't include someone emptying their stomach contents on my shoes is a good one!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

I played for an hour in a pub in exchange for a Guinness. Then did some busking with some friends in front of Tiffany's in Old Pasadena for what seemed to be an endless parade of police cars.

Steve
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

MTGuru wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:11 - 2 p.m. in a tent
I figure any St. Pat's that doesn't include someone emptying their stomach contents on my shoes is a good one!
Man, how many times does a guy have to apologize?!

t
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

I played for small children at a day care center, followed by a performance at a "Kindermusik" class at a local community college. Great fun was had by all!
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

Started on March 3 playing to the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Emer Costello, and her delegates for the San Jose/Dublin Sister City Program.

Played again at my local pub, C.b. Hannegan's on March 12 and for their big event on March 15. Thousands of people in attendance.

Played again at an elementary school for the 5th graders and then off to C.B. Hangean's for their St. Patrick's celebration.

A good go for sure. Made some good money and had lots of free food and drink.

See my website for a couple of pics at http://katzwerk.com/infopage.htm.

More pics coming later as well.

Cheers! Richard
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Okay then, here we go.... I had to be up at 3am to play at LA's former mayor Riordan's restaurant in downtown LA. Joey Abarta and Dan Conroy accompanied me. Braver souls have rarely been seen! It turned out it was a TV bit with dancers and stale pints. After that I went to work. After that I drove half way down the continent to Irvine to do a concert. Long feckin' day! Got home at two minutes to midnight and gobbled down the first beer of the day!

Not sure if this link will work:
http://www.ktla.com/videobeta/25500974- ... avern-7am-

Patrick.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Richard Katz wrote:Started on March 3 playing to the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Emer Costello, and her delegates for the San Jose/Dublin Sister City Program.

Played again at my local pub, C.b. Hannegan's on March 12 and for their big event on March 15. Thousands of people in attendance.

Played again at an elementary school for the 5th graders and then off to C.B. Hangean's for their St. Patrick's celebration.

A good go for sure. Made some good money and had lots of free food and drink.

See my website for a couple of pics at http://katzwerk.com/infopage.htm.

More pics coming later as well.

Cheers! Richard
Well that's a descending order if there was one! :tomato:
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Looked like fun at Riordan's Patrick. I was impressed, in addition to Irish stew they had Irish ham! :lol:
Get down on your knees and thank God you're on your feet !