The bring back Uilliam thread

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rgouette
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Re: The bring back Uilliam thread

Post by rgouette »

hm
I took it AS nice
:)
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

rgouette wrote:hm
I took it AS nice
:)
But I dont think Uilliam will.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

rorybbellows wrote:In reality Liam Hacket is a mild mannered ex-fireman from Tyrone and London who actually speaks with a very posh London accent ...
I have it on good authority that Uilliam used to tutor Gielgud on diction and delivery.
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

C'mon Uilliam, log in... you know you want to.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I'd not so much call the man a "gruff" as I would suggest that too many from the Americas are self-seeking and easily offended. Perhaps some do truly desire to learn of piping from those whom have walked on before but more often than not they seem to fancy having their ego's fluffed and their inexperienced and naive beginner ponderings validated. Uilliam's disposition helps to discern between the two. There are those who are for the flattering of others (though it might raise the potential for misguidance) and there are those who would skip a few (unnecessary) pleasantries and extend (necessary) truth and experience. Uilliam was definitely in the latter camp and his offerings to the board were above and beyond what any silver-tongued people-pleaser could hope to provide. Could we all not stand to have our ego's knocked down a few pegs now and then?

Good Sir Uilliam, please do withhold from us no longer!
:puppyeyes:
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

straycat82 wrote:...I would suggest that too many from the Americas are self-seeking and easily offended. ...:
I find your remarks offensive. But, I will look within to find some way to deal with them :D

tommykleen
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

""
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BoneQuint »

Agreement all around.
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

but more often than not they seem to fancy having their ego's fluffed and their inexperienced and naive beginner ponderings validated.
I've seen that in every forum I've visiited, and I'm likely guilty as charged. I stopped visting and posting on a popular highland piping forum because it seems to have degenerated into mostly that. In addition, every player with more than 12 months of experience was more than happy to dispense expert advice.
...but I digress. I found some of Uilliam's posts to be rude and offensive...and I miss them very much. I too think this board is better with his participation.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
sjcavy
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

I agree with Jeff, I stay away from said highland forum as well. Everyone there was taking my honest opinion as expert testimony, and would attack me if they didn't agree or (OH NO!) wrong, which happens.

the latest thing over there is what maker is better than others.

Thank God we don't have that here.
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

straycat82 wrote:I'd not so much call the man a "gruff" as I would suggest that too many from the Americas are self-seeking and easily offended. Perhaps some do truly desire to learn of piping from those whom have walked on before but more often than not they seem to fancy having their ego's fluffed and their inexperienced and naive beginner ponderings validated. Uilliam's disposition helps to discern between the two. There are those who are for the flattering of others (though it might raise the potential for misguidance) and there are those who would skip a few (unnecessary) pleasantries and extend (necessary) truth and experience. Uilliam was definitely in the latter camp and his offerings to the board were above and beyond what any silver-tongued people-pleaser could hope to provide. Could we all not stand to have our ego's knocked down a few pegs now and then?

Good Sir Uilliam, please do withhold from us no longer!
:puppyeyes:
I am also American and guilty at times of the very things I did rebuke in my post. Please note: I made no suggestion that all Americans are this way but that too many of them are (for if there were even 1/10 of Americans with these qualities, that would be, IMO, too many). If you choose to be offended by these remarks then I'm not sure whether to see that as a confession that you are indeed a part of that camp which is too easily offended or if you are just a person who takes offense too easily. :)
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

What I am is a person who can't resist an opportunity to make an ironic retort. Thanks for the setup :thumbsup:

But this thread isn't about me, it's about our Uilliam! (...he turns, looks directly into camera, beseechingly) "Please Hackers, come back to us. We'll kill the foetid calf if you do" :party:

T
tjnor

Post by tjnor »

I for one hope he returns. As a newbie I posted a question on bag covers and received a side-splitting reply (which inspired others' insanity as well):

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64667&hilit=bag+cover

I couldn't be offended by his high-spirited lunacy. He also has a lot to teach. You just have to learn to speak "Uilliam."
G Burman

Post by G Burman »

OK,
I'll get on the boat. I've made a couple posts recently, a couple posts a few years back, and have lurked around quietly as well. That being said, the growing pains of our all too misunderstood human condition gets the best of all dodgers of bullets be they lead or words. Respect gets respect and surly gets surly. "That's just the way it is, some things will never change". (Bruce Hornsby). When the bullets get thick sometimes ya just stick yer head back below the log. It's safe there. I have come to the conclusion that when someone makes a decision that they are firm about, no amount of begging or pleading will get them to change their mind. In fact, the begging and pleading is just what they want to stroke them, so, the more ya beg and plead and whine and cry, the more empowered they feel. For the human ego is a fragile thing. Some need to tear others down just to feel a bit of happiness. The ones who have the toughest front are usually the ones with the thinnest skin. So Uilliam's front was a sham. Don't we all put on a sham at times? Don't we all love a good stroke once in a while? Does that make us less human? Uilliam is a human being, a free will gives him the ability to choose his own course. Let him lurk if he wants. Offer a bit of his memory once in a while. He's watching. Maybe he'll come back, maybe he won't. No need to lose any sleep over it. The guy just needs his space. All he wants is to get a rise out of ya. :tantrum: That's his style.
Peace
GB
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

I love bagpipes...they sound so fine...my, my,my, they blow my mind....bagpipes...
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/