Biggest Influence

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Bok Choi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bok Choi »

I've heard such beautiful piping on recordings, and the masters never fail to move me; I do find, however, that being in the same space as the actual piper elevates the experience to a nearly spiritual level.

Burnt deepest into my psyche are John O'Brien's performances at the Chicago tionól and Pat Cannady's at Peoria Erin Feis, both this past summer. I mean it, Pat, that was transformative--I've never been so pumped to get back home and practice. I was also cranked up about various gig-issues at the time, and walked away from the piping tent feeling completely relaxed.

Of course it could have been laughter therapy, too...Pat was engaged in a memorable and humorous acoustical battle with a nearby rock band at the time, and to top it all off this enormous wasp kept swooping in and hovering amorously over his drones, eliciting much mirth from the audience.

So if I'd had the fortune to listen to Willie Clancy live, I'd probably have just spontaneously combusted or something; hardly the effect he was after I suppose, but it would have been memorable testimony that his piping was influential! :)

BC
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Thanks

Post by Pat Cannady »

Bok Choi wrote:I've heard such beautiful piping on recordings, and the masters never fail to move me; I do find, however, that being in the same space as the actual piper elevates the experience to a nearly spiritual level.

Burnt deepest into my psyche are John O'Brien's performances at the Chicago tionól and Pat Cannady's at Peoria Erin Feis, both this past summer. I mean it, Pat, that was transformative--I've never been so pumped to get back home and practice. I was also cranked up about various gig-issues at the time, and walked away from the piping tent feeling completely relaxed.

Of course it could have been laughter therapy, too...Pat was engaged in a memorable and humorous acoustical battle with a nearby rock band at the time, and to top it all off this enormous wasp kept swooping in and hovering amorously over his drones, eliciting much mirth from the audience.

So if I'd had the fortune to listen to Willie Clancy live, I'd probably have just spontaneously combusted or something; hardly the effect he was after I suppose, but it would have been memorable testimony that his piping was influential! :)

BC
Thanks a million, BC :) I can live for two weeks on compliment :)
Ailin
antispam: No

Post by Ailin »

Mine would be Joe Dady, a local entertainer (The Dady Bros). He is the first I ever saw play the pipes (Gallagher chanter w/Lambe drones) in person. His recording of Old Hag You Have Killed Me/Garrett Barry's
really hooked me too! Little did I know that several years after first hearing that recording he would be a friend of mine and that I would take lessons from him.

Alan