The Dance Music of Willie Clancy

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
DaveMoore
antispam: No

The Dance Music of Willie Clancy

Post by DaveMoore »

Anyone know where to get a copy of this book? I have contacted the original publisher and the publisher of the '70s reprint and neither have a copy for sale. I missed out on one recently on eBay but would love a copy of it. I contacted the publisher for permission to copy it for musician/educational purposes and there was no problem with that if I could find one from which to copy excerpts. This discussion also was made on the piping forum.
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re: The Dance Music of Willie Clancy

Post by tommykleen »

You can check ABE books at abebooks.com

There is also 2nd edition copy in a landfill somewhere in the Twin Cities area. A long, painful story detailed in the slow air Amhrán na nDumpster :(

tommykleen
DaveMoore

Post by DaveMoore »

That does sound like a sad story. I have checked Abebooks and several others. It seems my only hope is to find a copy in some used book store or from a member of one of the piping forums. From what I have read it is a worthwhile book to own even if just a photocopy or the like.
Cheers
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

"Educational purposes" is part of the "Fair Use" exception to copyright and only applies when you copy excerpts of documents. In other words, it doesn't allow you to photocopy an entire book. That said, I don't think you'll incur the wrath of international publishing houses just for copying one out-of-print book.

Keep an eye on eBay. Copies of DMWC occasionally turn up there. It's a good book and an essential part of any piper's library.
PJ
DaveMoore

Post by DaveMoore »

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them.
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

Just last month there were two different auctions for this book on ebay, so that could be a good place to keep looking.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by misterpatrick »

I believe I heard (or hallucinated) that NPU is coming out with a new CD collection of Clancy's stuff. Anyone have details?
Kramden

Post by Kramden »

Why don't you do a search on Amazon? I did one about a month ago - around the same time one was listed on e-bay for about $60 - and ended up getting a used first edition for $19.00 US.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Did you think of trying to contact Pat Mitchell? I'm sure you could get in touch with him through NPU.
PJ
JoeLynn

Post by JoeLynn »

Contact your local public library. I did that a couple of years ago and they were able to find it for me on an interlibrary loan.
mayo_piper

Post by mayo_piper »

Ummmm Dave - I am sorry but I was the one who got the copy of Wille Clancy's book on E-Bay. :oops:

The book is great with bio and tunes printed the way Willie has played them. I have the CDs Volume 1 and 2 of Wille Clancy and is wonderful to "read" along while listening to him play.

E-mail me about possible copies of the book. I don't want to infringe on any rights - but if you got permission, we can talk. 8)
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

tommykleen wrote:You can check ABE books at abebooks.com

There is also 2nd edition copy in a landfill somewhere in the Twin Cities area. A long, painful story detailed in the slow air Amhrán na nDumpster :(

tommykleen
you mean na nDumpsteri

(plural is plural!:-)
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Amhrán an Dumpster then.

t
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Sín é!

:thumbsup:
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

misterpatrick wrote:I believe I heard (or hallucinated) that NPU is coming out with a new CD collection of Clancy's stuff. Anyone have details?
Nothing more than that Peter Browne says it will be in shops by the end of the year. That's RTÉ who are releasing it, too.

Agreed about the value of Interlibrary Loans for Yanks, that's how I got my hands on Waifs and Strays and Pat Sky's tutor 13 years ago, or Riley's Flute Melodies last year. Wonderful stuff to be had, and with scanners it's no big deal to copy a book anymore.