The Dance Music of Willie Clancy

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Yoann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The Dance Music of Willie Clancy

Post by Yoann »

fiddlerwill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Cant wait, Xmas coming early this year.... 4th December :)
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
DaveMoore

Post by DaveMoore »

Thanks to all for the suggestions. As of today the interlibrary, ABE, eBay, Amazon and several others came up dry. However a person here may be able to provide me a copy "fair" use. I also contacted the original publisher and the subsequent one and neither had copies nor did they seem interested in reprinting.
Cold blown SSPs are my primary instrument at this time but I had owned a full set of UPs in years gone by and have contacted David Daye for a UP chanter to stock in my SSPs. Should arrive soon. I have the original UP Tutor I used years ago so that and the DMWC, should I get a copy, will keep me busy til the grave I suspect.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Maybe with the new Willie Clancy CD that was recently released, the NPU will order a reprint of the book.
PJ
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

:shock: WARNING: THREAD RESURRECTION!! :shock: :sleep: :sleep:
Any news on a new printing, or new collection? I've been looking online, and the only copy I can find is being held hostage for $226 by an optimistic bugger in Germany.
NPU Take Note: A Tommy Reck book would also be most welcome. After hearing The Stone in the Field years ago, and having the opportunity to talk to Pat Sky about the recording of it, I was really disappointed that there were so few recordings of him. I managed to back out the Standing Abbey, from a recording I had and have misplaced, by ear and almost died in the process :P

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A Tommy Reck book would also be most welcome. ...I was really disappointed that there were so few recordings of him.
Transcriptions of his playing have appeared in An Piobaire in the past, by Tommy Keane, Seán Donnelly and Robert van Dijk and myself, possibly others as well. Breandán Breathnach included some of his tunes in CRE, vol 1.

I think we've been over the recordings issue in previous threads, here, for example There's a fair bit about, if you look for it. As far as I know NPU was working on a CD for future release.

I've been looking online, and the only copy I can find is being held hostage for $226 by an optimistic bugger in Germany.
There's a copy for €71 on Bookfinder.com. It's really a matter of keeping an eye out all the time and one will eventually come up at a reasonable-ish price.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I really don't have any use for my old copy, bought new in the 1970s (it's the 1977 reprint).

I've read through it so many times I pretty much have it memorised. (Sorry to say I discovered that no amount of reading about Willie Clancy will make one play like him!)

If you're a book collector it's not for you. It's somewhat beat-up and has tunes transcribed in the blank music pages in the back.

But if you want it for the content it will suffice.

Anyone interested can PM me with an offer. I really don't have any clue what it might be worth to somebody.

Due to the expense of posting things overseas, a US buyer would be best, perhaps.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

The book does pop up on ebay every once in awhile. You can save a search & set it so that ebay will email you when anything comes up.

There was a topic here not too long ago about NPU reprinting a one off copy or two of the Patsy Touhy book on request, wasnt there? Try contacting them
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

pancelticpiper wrote:Anyone interested can PM me with an offer. I really don't have any clue what it might be worth to somebody.

Due to the expense of posting things overseas, a US buyer would be best, perhaps.
Richard, I tried sending you a PM but it seems to be stuck in my "out" box. PM's on this forum have some strange behaviors that I haven't experienced on other on-line forums. Do you have an email address or some other way I could communicate with you? I will try sending you a PM over on The Session also.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Posted a query to NPU, and set a search-and-notify on evilBay.
There's also an inter-library loan service over here. The closest copy I could find is 185 miles away, so I'll have to see what the limits on lending are.
Thanks to everyone who contributed. :thumbsup:

dave boling
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

An Draighean wrote:I tried sending you a PM but it seems to be stuck in my "out" box. PM's on this forum have some strange behaviors that I haven't experienced on other on-line forums.
They stay in the outbox until they are opened by the recipient.
PJ
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

PJ wrote:
An Draighean wrote:I tried sending you a PM but it seems to be stuck in my "out" box. PM's on this forum have some strange behaviors that I haven't experienced on other on-line forums.
They stay in the outbox until they are opened by the recipient.
Ahhh.... OK thanks PJ. Mystery solv-ed.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
PJ

Post by PJ »

I've put my copy on eBay.

That might help in negotiations with the German seller!
PJ
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Post Script: Just received a kind note this morning from Emmett Gill at NPU. He said they can copy and bind a scan for €25. I don't know in what quantity they are willing to do this, but I consider this yet another example of the great work they do. Guess I'll have to renew my lapsed membership in appreciation of the offer.
I would take advantage of Emmitt's offer if I hadn't received a call last night from a local former piper who offered me his copy and a copy of the Patsy Touhey book. :D
".. seek and ye shall find." Matthew 7:7

dave boling
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Just a note that someone has bought my copy.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle