Super Mellow Sets?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I would have to twist somebody's arm and jump the queue;-)
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I came across a letter from Geoff yesterday (spring cleaning)and his terms were full sets, about a ten year wait and 8,000-10,000 Irish punts, and this was 3-4 years ago. Granted, I could be wrong, he may have changed his policy about only selling full sets since then. If so I'd like to know, as I'd really like to get on his list for a narrow bore D chanter.
As far as comparing sets, I've played Angus, Gallagher, Rogge, Quinn and Lynch sets in concert D. I haven't had the chance to play a Rogge narrow bore, only the Angus which (after two returns for reboring and reedwork) works passable well but even with rushing is still a bit sharp in the top of the second octave, but I really like the tone. Granted, I have not had the chance to play a lot of Irish/English sets, but this is by choice because it's easier to get and maintain sets from someone in the U.S. due to simple proximity... like I said, I'm a big fan of Froment. If I could get a narrow bore D chanter from Geoff, he would be my first choice, hands down. Barring that, Rogge has a reputation for really good craftsmanship and he visits the U.S. frequently and holds workshops to help owners maintain pipes he has made. When I bought my Angus, basically noone else was making a narrow bore D. Don't get me wrong... Angus' selling point is that he is good with customer service, and he'll futz with pipes until you are satisfied with the results, but I've seen pipes go out that should have been "tightened up" more before being released.
Come on, Petey me boy.... you avoided the question: If you were to buy pipes today, who would be on the list? If not DMQ or Froment especially.....
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

All things being equal... I noticed that you hail from Co. Clare, Peter. If you happen to cross paths with with Geoff, will you ask him if he would be willing to make a narrow bore D chanter? The wait time is not a problem. Thx...
Dave
tansy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

and peter,whose queue would you choose to be a jumping?
i'm just interested in your knowledgable favorite(s).there are several makers you do not like.
tansy
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Dave, Tansy I am not going to answer that question.
I am very particular about what I like and what I don't like. I have one set of pipes I have been playing it since 1984, it has never given me major problems, in fact most of the reeds are the original ones. I am not going to change it for anything else. Should I have to replace it, it would have to be by one as close to the old one as possible. Which actually answers the question after all.

I am sure Geoff will make you a chanter if you order one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-01-25 05:39 ]</font>
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Okay... I'll give him a ring. If he says yes, I owe you a big beer of your choice, if not, I'll collect my Porter pint from you on my next swing through Shannon.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Hello to everyone, I love to read your "bantering" back and forth.
Tony, I wanted to thank you for the advice you gave me a while back on my Neil O'Grady set. I was able to up the elevation (the opening of the reed lips) and for the most part am not over blowing my back D now. thanks.
I have another question for you or anyone that has played any kind of an O'Grady set. I am considering getting on his list for a set of drones and probably the regs also. I have been happy with my set from the moment I got them. They have been in tune and farely easy to play right from the start. A few guys at the Southern California pipers club even commented that the pipes were easy of play and in tune when I went down to their monthly meeting (I took this with great relief). (By the way, great bunch of guys. Patrick D'arcy was there but can't wait to meet him next meeting). Anyway, my reasons for getting the drones and eventually regs from Neil are:
- I have been very impressed with Neil himself. I have to talked to him about 5 times on the phone and he has always been patient and helpful to answer my questions before I got the set, and now that I have the set, technical support.
- The Exchange rate for american dollars to Canadan right now is awesome, and HIS PRICES! I talked to him on the phone yesterday. His for drones is $800 Canadian . That is only around $500 American. And $2500 Canadian for the ful set of regs. That is around $1500 American. His waiting list about a year. It almost makes me have to wonder, for that price are the drones and regs any good?
Anyway, I would love to here any of your advice, or just what you think. I have to talked to too many pipers that say you only get what you pay for, so I just want to make the right decision.
Thanks again
Joseph
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Sorry typo from last message Patrick was NOT at the club meeting
Joseph
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Joseph, I would agree the exchange rate could make or break a deal. As indicated on earlier posts O'Grady sets are no frills traditional styling. I have no personal experience with his drones or regulators, but I've seen posts on another message board where his half sets have been given a good report.
The topic is 'super mellow sets' and my O'Grady chanter is my quietest D chanter, it's also less touchy with reed settings... even if I use the same reed in other chanters.
Currently, I practice with an O'Grady bag and bellows and easily switch between various chanters, including my C and B chanters. I've noticed the leather hinge and the strips that hold the arm belt to the bellows have stretched to the point where they will soon need attention. I'll probably take the bellows to a shoemaker and have him replace the strips with thicker leather in the same size and shape as the original so it will appear new and not modified. The inlet stock that gets tied to the bag is also an area of maintenance as the cold weather (and some abuse on my part) caused the stock to shift and leak. I used a thin layer of contact cememt (liquid plastic) and pulled the stock back into place and retied with the original cord.
Dollar for dollar you probably can't beat the deal for O'Grady... unless you decide to buy Australian as the US dollar is around $1.95AU
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Tony,
I don't know how you can reply so quickly. I guess you monitor the board A LOT! Thanks for the QUICK reply. Like I said I have been pleased with my practice set and have not really ahd to adjust the reed hardly at all (A true blessing from GOD). I understand that his sets are no frills, but all I want is something that plays well and sounds good, and so far I have it. I think I am going to go ahead and order the drones from him.
Another question. You said that his reeds can be made to play quiet by sanding. How do you go about ding that. I have a spare reed and am going to oreder two more (for only $20 each...sheesh a steel), so I woul like to try and and have one redd that plays normally and one that plays quiet.
Thanks once more.
Joseph
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Sorry for all that terrible typos
Joseph
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Joseph,
After a post, you can go back in a edit any typos. Just click on the 'edit' box and enter your name and password.
As far as my internet access... I often work from home. That, plus DSL, my computer is online 12-18 hours a day. I'll pass by and check an e-mail or message board in between research or printng reports.
If you have a good reed or two, you might want to wait until Summer before ordering reeds from O'Grady. He probably has 3 feet of snow outside his door. Not that it will make a bad reed, but the warmer (more humid) weather will be closer to your average conditions.
Read up on a few reedmaking websites for some tips on thinning reeds. http://home.wxs.nl/~HartDD/Reed/reed.html section #7, the scrape. I would only use 3-4 rubs per side and wait a few days to determine if that was enough.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Tony,
That is cool that you work from home. I have DSL also and love it. It is very fast and easy, I ussually leave my net on all th time too. However, if you do leave the DSL on all day, make sure you use a fire-wall (I use Zone Alarm and it works pretty well). This will keep people from tapping into your broadband ISP and messing with your computer. You probably already have but just wanted to throw that out there.
I will give that website a look and check it out. Thanks.
Question. You said that you have two other chanters in C and B. Who are the makers? Which do you like, and which not?
Thanks again
Joseph
Tony

Post by Tony »

Joseph,
My C chanter is by Gallagher in Ebony and my B is by Childress in Rosewood. They each play very well. The stretch on the B is slightly longer and I feel it makes my playing slower. I'm a creature of habit and find if I jump around from chanter to chanter I often spend too much time 'acclimating' myself to the differences in each instrument. Right now, my favorite chanter is the D by Ian Mackenzie. It's based on a 50's Rowsome design and I had it made in Australian lancewood.
For size comparison:
http://www.angar.net/chanter/PIC1.jpg
Two Childress chanters B on the left and D on the right
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

hey tony,
are there any size differences in your D and B chanter reeds(by childress)? i would imagine there are but i have heard of old reeds that played well in any key chanter.
by the way, you openness in discussing your pipe makers is very much appreciated.
tansy