Is it possible to...?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mick Woodruff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mick Woodruff »

I am straying this once from the whistle forum in the hope of finding some help. My knowledge of the Uilleann pipes is scant, and my need for information is quite urgent. Do any of you good people know if it is possible (did I say easy? :smile:<P>Regards,
Mick
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Mick,
Uillean Pipes in the key of E are possible. I heard that Emer Mayock of the Afro Celt Sound System http://www.afrocelts.com
plays one and I think they were made by Brian Howard Music http://www.howardmusic.co.uk/

A fully keyed D chanter can play tunes in other keys, just more difficult. Can you reveal specifically what your intent is ?
Mick Woodruff

Post by Mick Woodruff »

Thanks for the response Tony. Yes, of course I'll explain the reason for my question more fully. I've just been asked to play a short solo for a song on a CD which is in the final stages of mixing, and due for release in Brazil. I've had to play the solo on an E whistle, and the recording artist has the idea of supporting or, "padding out", the short solo with the pipes. First of all I needed to ascertain if this is possible (and now I know that it is, thank you!) and, secondly, I'm looking for someone who would be interested in doing the recording for the CD. So, if anyone reading this feels they might be able to do the job, please e-mail me as soon as you can and I'll put you in touch with the artist. The solo is only 11 seconds long, so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge to the right person. :smile: I've been told that mixing is being completed this week, so there isn't much time left.<P>Cheers!<P>Mick
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

11 second Uillean solo in the key of E?
My first thought is to record it on a D chanter and alter the speed/pitch via software. You can have a finished product on the same day!
'Studio magic' isn't your problem, the thought is having to perform live... in that case you'd want the E chanter.
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

Just one thougt:
Playing in E on a D chanter migt be very difficult, even on a fully keyed one. You might try to get hold of a Bnat-Chanter (this pitch is very common amongst pipers) and play in E. HTH
Christian
Mick Woodruff

Post by Mick Woodruff »

I've been looking at the song in question again and I think I am mistaken about it being in the key of E. I now believe that it is actually in B natural, which brings an A sharp into the picture, and if I understand you correctly, Christian, this puts a new complexion on things. Anyway, any takers for this one are still welcome! :smile:<P>Mick
Tony

Post by Tony »

Mick, is it E or B...? you've got half the Uilleann community auditioning for that 11 second gig :smile:
Mick Woodruff

Post by Mick Woodruff »

Tony, I wish I was more skilled at identifying key signatures! I do believe that my first assessment was wrong, and we are looking at B... at least all the accidentals seem to point to B! :smile: <P>Mick
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

How much are they paying and where and when is the session?

Patrick.
Mick Woodruff

Post by Mick Woodruff »

Patrick, please check your e-mail; I've sent you a note.<P>Mick