My New pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Re: My New pipes

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Happiness: is shiny new reg keys.
piperhahn

Post by piperhahn »

Wow. those are beautiful. and if that MP3 is your pipes then you are really blessed. that set is beautiful, and makes me want to order one. almost makes me think about throwing mine out, but then I remember that mine are Quinn pipes and only don't sound like that, because I don't have that kind of skill yet. but wow. nice tone.
Good choice. I'm gonna put this maker on my short list.
eirepiper1

Post by eirepiper1 »

Exquisite! I could only dream .....
bobblee001
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bobblee001 »

They are beautifully made. What wood are they?

Bob
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

The wood is Holly, and the mounts are bloodwood

copied this from the net, but don`tknow which variety my mounts are:

Bloodwood is the common name for several unrelated groups of trees.

Pterocarpus erinaceus, a deciduous South African tree with large yellow-orange flowers. It yields a thick red juice which is often used in the production of black dyes. Its wood is generally from a light pink to a deep blood-red, and is incredibly dense. This wood is often used by woodworkers for its natural ability to take a polish, and its unmistakable red coloring.
Haematoxylum campechianum L., a tree from Mexico
Brosimum paraense is a tree found in Brazil. Its dense heartwood (specific gravity of 1.15 when dry) is commonly called bloodwood due to its striking red color. The sapwood is easily distinguished by its yellowish-white color. The wood has a fine texture and takes a high polish. The wood is very hard and has a tendency to blunt tools. The wood is used in decorative woodworking and woodturning under the names Satine and Satine Bloodwood. The Nature Conservancy considers this tree secure within its native range.
In Australia the name refers to either of two distinct groups of eucalypt: the genus Corymbia (formerly Eucalyptus subg. Corymbia) and Eucalyptus subg. Blakella. These two groups share in common their tessellated bark, but are easily distinguished by thickness of the wall of mature fruits; hence Corymbia is sometimes referred to as Woody-fruited Bloodwood, and E. subg. Blakella as Paper-fruited Bloodwood.[1] The name bloodwood for these trees stems from the dark red to brown kino that accumulates on wounds on the trunks.
gedpipes

Post by gedpipes »

and it look like you even take them to bed with you
Wannabe-Piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

Lovely set of Pipes.
Gordan's a fantastic maker, waiting list is slowly increasing too so anyone wishing to invest in a set for the future should contact Gordan(or start searching your attic for a Rogge) :D
benwalker

Re: My New pipes (Zombie thread alert )

Post by benwalker »

So I’ve got these pipes now. I took them last week to Gordon to refurbish and he did a great job. Regs and drones humming away and Chanter playing very nicely. 10 years of playing and handling left some grubby marks which Gordon expertly removed .
I’m the 3rd owner of this wonderful set.
I was wondering if there are any other Holly full sets by Galloway out there? Especially with Purple Heart mounts!
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org