nice forum - but what are uilleann pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

So, congratulations for your new forum. But could anybody tell me where I can find basic & general informations about those pipes. I have seen them once played in a concert, and heard the sound on CDs, but that's all I know about it. Is there a site where complete information can be found?
Teri-K
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Teri-K »

A good place to start is David Daye's page:
http://www-bprc.mps.ohio-state.edu/~bdaye/bagpipes.html

David's page is a bit technical (reed making is the piper's nightmare). Near the bottom of the page is every link you could ever want for uilleann pipe info. David's practice set are an economical way to start learning the pipes. Beware though - should you decide to take up the pipes, you will have to give up any idea of having "a life".

Teri
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Beware though - should you decide to take up the pipes, you will have to give up any idea of having "a life".

Hmm, I seem like a good candidate for this "lifestyle." I've already kissed off a life by devoting myself to the whistle. Why not up the ante...
prof_fate

Post by prof_fate »

A good url that discusses the pipes is from the Uilleann Pipers club in Dublin.

Here is the URL... http://www.iol.ie/~npupipes/index.html

Another great site is: http://www.concentric.net/~pdarcy/page1/page1.shtml

Post by Guest »

There are Pipers clubs in, Italy, France, Germany and Holland - probably some more since my membership in NPU ceased, no longer up to date on EU Piping.
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

Re: the above, it seems appropriate that the 'old' word for this instrument was 'union' pipes - some players still use it, today, I understand. Perhaps it refers to the bonding of the celtic 'nations'?

Steve Power
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

On 2001-08-09 17:18, StevePower wrote:
Re: the above, it seems appropriate that the 'old' word for this instrument was 'union' pipes - some players still use it, today, I understand. Perhaps it refers to the bonding of the celtic 'nations'?

Steve Power

So Steve...when is Shannay Quay gonna start to stock u. pipes too? :smile:

Bri~
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

Good question, Bri

Given that the best ones (including those by my good friend Cillian O'Briain) can take up to a year to make and cost over IR£5000, probably not JUST yet. :wink:

I have been asked to photograph Cillian's latest set though, when it's ready, and that's about as close as I'll get to 'handling' them.

oh, but if you'd like in-depth books on the instrument and it's playing - I'm yer man!

Steve

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevePower on 2001-08-10 09:37 ]</font>