Pipes For Sale

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
gregdidge
antispam: No

Pipes For Sale

Post by gregdidge »

I saw this advertised on craigslist. Here is the ad. I have no information or interest in the sale of these pipes

Reply to: sale-828000611@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-09-04, 11:41PM CDT

B Chanter by pipemaker B.C. Childress, made in 2002. African Blackwood body with boxwood mounts and brass ferrules and "full mounts and ferrules" as per Childress' specifications - no keys. Blackwood chanter top(unkeyed) with "gooseneck" air tube. Includes an extra reed by Childress. Very mellow tone, easy to play in both octaves. Very worry-free chanter - I don't even look at the reed. Noticeable dulling on the brass (I never liked how it looked new so I don't polish them) but otherwise mint condition. Bruce has offered to rework the chanter and reed and act as a go-between on this sale.

Please contact me with any more questions...Thanks!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 828000611
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg
mayo_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chanter for sale

Post by mayo_piper »

Sounds to me like the one advertised in Fr. Pat's site :

http://www.uilleannobsession.com/classifieds.html#1
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
rgouette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

I don't even look at the reed.
well, that makes 2 of us.
:)

mmm flat pipes.....
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

SE MInneapolis? Could this be Royce maybe? Royce, is it you?
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by misterpatrick »

It's not Royce. It's Chad but not the Chad you're thinking of. Chad was really involved with the piping scene here and I bought my first practice set from him when he was getting out of piping. He hung onto the B set for a few years but I guess has decided to throw in the towel. Chad was one of the truly obsessed and was a great reed maker so I'd believe it if he says he never looks at the reed in his chanter.

Speaking of reeds. I have a Pakistani-made full set that I got from Chad that is about as good as they can get. The drones are great, the bag and bellows are airtight. The regulators, well, they have keys that work and reeds that make noise. That's all I'll say about them. I'm selling this with a Pat Sky budget chanter with two reeds for $400. I'll post pictures etc when I get around to taking some but thought I'd post it. Think of it as a cheap practice set with bonus drones and regs thrown in.
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

misterpatrick wrote:It's not Royce. It's Chad but not the Chad you're thinking of. Chad was really involved with the piping scene here and I bought my first practice set from him when he was getting out of piping. He hung onto the B set for a few years but I guess has decided to throw in the towel. Chad was one of the truly obsessed and was a great reed maker so I'd believe it if he says he never looks at the reed in his chanter.
Chad was one of the Founding Fathers of the Great Northern [pause] Irish Pipers' Club.

There is a bronze bust of him in the club's Great Hall.

'Bless 'im!

T