Working Too Hard

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
John O'Gara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by John O'Gara »

This is probably not a "new" topic but I haven't read all the postings this group has produced(yet).

I have a Charles Roberts practice set that was given to me a couple of years ago. I purchased a new chanter reed from Mr. Roberts and started learning. I have suspected all along that I'm working too hard to play at least in the first octave and definitely in the second. I have cautiously tried very minor adjustments to reed with bridle movement etc. The reed does allow most of the notes in second octave thru high b and sometimes c. I have also tried to locate leaks and repair them in the bag and the bellows, still I have to apply a fair amount of pressure to play, the tension of which causes me to tense the hand rather than remain relaxed.I appreciate the aerobic workout, but there has to be a better way.

Sorry for the length of this post, first one for me. I have learned much already from reading other postings here, it's a great group!
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Prehaps you have already tried this, but if not then using extreme caution in order not to damage your reed, carefully remove your windcap and very gently, using a pair of fine pliers, reduce the size of the opening between the lips by squeezing gently on the reed bridle. We're talking micro here, carefully replace the windcap and test, repeating as necessarily, as even very small differences in the opening between the reed lips will/can have extraordinary effects. By closing the reed lips a mite this should make the reed easier to get up into the 2nd octave and easier to blow all round, and even quieter.
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Steampacket:

Thanks for the advice, it has made a difference, particularly in the second octave.

I have a spare reed that has never performed well. Currently, including your suggested adjustments, it goes severely flat after low a. After low a it stays at the same pitch regardless of fingering for b,c,etc. and no jump into the second octave at all. Any more suggestions?

Once again, thank you for your help.