Ray Sloan pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
John Allison
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by John Allison »

I decided to take the plunge a few months back and ordered a new practice set in blackwood and nickel/silver from Ray Sloan because I had heard from so many people about the good work he did. In two months time they were delivered! The reed was perfect for Southern California weather and they played so much better than the Vignoles set I was borrowing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Allison on 2001-07-02 00:27 ]</font>
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Hi John,

I'm interested to hear more of your feelings on Rays pipes. I have heard mixed reviews on his sound...although the workmanship looks impeccable! The one thing I had issue with, is he doesn't offer regulators yet. I emailed him about it, and got a reply of "I just can't find the time to develop them". This made me sort of wonder how much effort he really puts into the U. pipes he makes. I know he does a bunch of other instruments as well, so his time is stretched thin, but still.

Just what I found out. Glad you like them better than the first ones!

Bri~
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

For me, regulators are so far down the road it wasn't really an issue. A number of the newer pipemakers don't offer them so in a couple of years, when I'm ready for them, I'll probably just order a full set from a different maker.

I just found out today that the waiting list for Geoff Wooff, supposedly <b>the best</b> maker today, is up to 12 years. (and whistle players thought they had it bad!!)
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

re: Geoff Woof.... his flat pitch stuff is considered to be the "Stradavarius" of pipes. However, you will wait a minimum of 10 years, and pay about $10,000 because he sells only full sets with silver ferrols and tubing. I've tried a set in B, and if your hands can make the reach of a B set, they're worth it...but flat pitch sets by Quinn, Gallagher and Froment are excellent in my opinion, and a half set of one of these guys costs about half the price of a set of Woof's, and may be available before the next decade.
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

Ray Sloan Practice set for sale on EBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1448671251
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Dave Parkhurst wrote re: Geoff Woof.... his flat pitch stuff is considered to be the "Stradavarius" of pipes. However, you will wait a minimum of 10 years, and pay about $10,000 because he sells only full sets with silver ferrols and tubing. I've tried a set in B, and if your hands can make the reach of a B set, they're worth it...but flat pitch sets by Quinn, Gallagher and Froment are excellent in my opinion, and a half set of one of these guys costs about half the price of a set of Woof's, and may be available before the next decade.

There was not a lot correct in the above for the record:

The waiting list is up to 12 now, instruments are made to order, i.e. materials are specified by the buyer not the maker. No need so to get silver. Geoff may prefer to make a set in one go (makes sense when you think about it), practice chanters, and half sets may be obtained. Geoff does not like to give a final quote as it is not possible to see what the situation in ten to twelve years time may be. He may give an indication amounting up to 10K, which is only an indication and should not be compared with current prices of other makers. Who knows what they will be charging in ten years time.

A C set was auctioned recently and went for 8.5K The consensus however was that this was madness. Sets presently leaving the workshop do not by far go for that amount.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2001-08-18 15:14 ]</font>