Tim Benson chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
carel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tim Benson chanter

Post by carel »

I saw this Tim Benson chanter on obsession.com and think it is very sculptural, a beauty

PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Is this the same chanter:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=kqzgSOHMupQ
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=7aRBi5pZGjs&NR=1

Tim, if you're reading this, could you give us a little more information about the 4th drone on your set? And maybe a sound sample?

PJ
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

It looks very 'ergonomic.' It's also reminiscent of some Rowsome sticks I've seen (in a somewhat overdone way).
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

looks superb to me, not overdone at all.

Maith thú a Tim!
sjcavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

hey guys!

I have talked to Tim, and I think that's the G drone......I don't play pipes yet, I can't afford to get into it, but I hope one day........

And Listen to his chanter on Uilleann Obsession. Not only is it beautiful, but It sounds GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't get over it!

Sean
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

It is a G drone. I have one of Tim's chanters and they are indeed a thing of beauty. Tim and Stephanie are still tweaking their designs and reeds, but they will definitely be makers to watch. Beautiful workman ship and a great big sound.

I have a 3/4 set coming from them in a couple weeks and will post photos and audio samples.

I have some photos of the chanter in this thread:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... start=1635
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Brazenkaine wrote:looks superb to me, not overdone at all.

Maith thú a Tim!
To each their own, but what I meant was it looks like someone borrowed Rowsome's scalloping and took it further. Not meant in a negative sense.
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

From the photo of the chanter it is obvious that it was made by a very good pipemaker. As you can see the crumbs beside the chanter are very small, the larger crumbs having been filtered out by the beard of the pipemaker,and as we know all the best pipemakers have beards !

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
TimBenson

Post by TimBenson »

It is a G drone. The reed seat is similar to the bass regulator separator. There is a cap on the end that functions as a switch. I added a clamp that makes the whole works more rugged.

I got the idea of placing it on the stock from an arrangement I saw on another set - I believe it is Mick O'Brien's Rowsome set that Froment added a drone to.

Unfortunately I don't have a sound sample yet, but when I get one it will be posted.

The chanter at the top is the same chanter as the one in the first video link (the headless video). It is not the same chanter as the one in the full set picture.

Crumb?...more like a hearty meal.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Just had a look at that chanter picture from a few posts up. The top is Hunter-esque, certainly a good thing. Tim is obviously taking all his cues from the best pipe makers, as all of the great modern makers do. For those who don't know, Tim is he's a great player. A fine maker is made many-a- fold better by being a great playe,r as the 2 skills feed off and improve on each other!