Sloan practice set, eBay listing

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

I have only heard good things about Ray's sets (in fact I almost ordered one myself).

I would just be careful bidding this one up too high, as I think that the current ebay bid is about their actual value already.

it's probably a good set though.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I agree... a lower starting price and a reserve to protect the seller would bring more interest.
It seems to have worked for the other auction currently running.
David Johnson

Post by David Johnson »

I have a Sloan practice set identical to the one listed that I've been playing for 6 months or so. I bought it virtutlason Ebay, but paid closer to $650. My experience with other makes is limited, but Ray's leather work is exceptional and his wood work is excellent as well. I emailed him once to get some advice and got a very quick and helpful response. For the money, this practice set looks like a decent buy, but not a bargain. By the way, The price jump from a practice set to a half set is pretty hefty, so a prospective buyer will want to consider that if he plans to add drones later. Overall, I'm happy with the look, feel, and playability of my practice set.
David Johnson

Post by David Johnson »

Yikes! The spelling gnomes had their way with my earlier posting. It should have read, "I bought them virtually new for closer to $650." Best wishes! DJ