Advice required.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Advice required.

Post by Uilliam »

I was taking a good look at my kitchen today and was beginning to think that it was not really working very well it is such a hassle to get to the oven etc.I was thinking of asking my neighbour to cook my meals in return perhaps for a reed or something.I also get strange looks from the odd guest I may have but I put that down to a women are frae venus thing...Anyways I know the obvious one is to clean the worksurface and put the dishes away I know I know but no matter how hard I look I cannot think of anything else??
Image Image
Image Image

Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Do what I do -- throw it all in the washer & dryer when someone shows up to visit. <hee, hee>

As long as you can get to the teapot and the microwave that method should work OK until you get around to devoting a separate room or garage or shed for workshop space .... you could always rent a corner of a friend's garage or some such, as well.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
djm

Post by djm »

Paper plates, mate. That's the ticket. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Thanks Cathy..Oh no I don't want to hide anything people would think me odd if I started packing things awa..especially if they needed to use the washing machine for instance...all the other rooms are accounted for Bedroom 1 has the sewing machine treadle of course and other paraphanalia for making bags and is storage for various bits and pieces.Bedroom 2 is my practice room coz thats where the neighbours can get most of the noise frae and it houses my music library etc I was thinking of putting a lathe in there.
The living room is where I fine tune my pipes and do some practice when I don't want to annoy the neighbours,the computer room is not suitable for anything to do with pipes other than chat awa on the internet to ye all...the bathroom is where I let most of the bags dry oot so ye can get quite high in there, the garden is a joke ,this is Scotland after all One day of sunshine a year normaly 16th july so thats a no no .I am moving further North in the not so distant so I will redesign my croft to accomodate.I will probably have the cooking pot on an open fire outside along wi the toilet...

David..thanks for the tip but that is uneconomical and will destroy the tropical rainforest.In olden times they used to use thick platters of bread to serve food on now that might be an idea.
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
djm

Post by djm »

Uilliam wrote:In olden times they used to use thick platters of bread to serve food on now that might be an idea.
Actually, they used to use a wooden plank, sometimes with a hollow depression carved out to contain the food. That was the source of the phrase "room and board" when you sought out both meals and lodging.

djm
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

No it wasnae...board referred to the table ,which was quite often just placed across trestles and then put away or as in Elizabethan Ireland the "Bord" was put straight on the flair...In medieval times(which is quite olden) they certainly did use bread as plates.The Royal Navy used square wooden platters in later olden times hence the term 3 square meals a day.Celtic societies also used woven baskets as plates using the natural grasses....
Uilliam
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Advice required.

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Why don´t you simply open the window, remove the valuables and throw in a hand grenade? :)
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Wot ye want me to open the window THROW my valuables oot then throw a hand grenade in? erm I think that might cause a bit more mess for me....:wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
djm

Post by djm »

Uilliam wrote:No it wasnae...board referred to the table
Sorry, but I have seen the boards that itinerant masons and builders would carry with them; their "dishes" as it were. That's where the term came from, from what I've read.

djm
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

My advice would be to place any topic or questions you might have about kitchens over in the pub.There are alot more women over there, and as the kitchen is their natural environment you would probably get more pratical advice .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Yard Sale?

Then again you could just embrace the entropy and accept that, until you find additional lodgings, you're living in your workshop. :-)

(that would be the path of least resistance ... or perhaps, in your case, the least resistance to the path :-D)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Having taken the good advice of this forum I have rearranged my kitchen this afternoon thus...

Rory how dare ye suggest that a reedmaking workshop should be transferred to the Pub (I do not drink )and wots with the misogyny?leave the girls alone...this thread is aboot turning your home into your pipe dream reality wi simple makeovers the next project is to knock a hole in the bedroom wall in order to make room for a lathe should be easy enough and just think of the value it will add to your home :wink:

David ye are so wrang it hurts me ...Board is a collective term and in Irish and Old English is Bord.What ye probably saw was BORED ie the workman were really bored carrying their boards around with them so that they could eat(I mean how likely is that for starters would any sane person do that?) or it could mean that the ole plank they were carrying around for years to eat aff was bored with wee weevils and suchlike... heres a quick definition here to help ye( no mention of itinerant lunatics wandering around the countryside carrying tables tho) Are ye saying that bread was never used as platters or that bord was never a term used in Ireland to mean table?
BOARD (O. Eng. bord) , a See also:
PLANK
plank or See also:
LONG, GEORGE (1800-1879)
LONG, JOHN DAVIS (1838– )
long narrow piece of See also:
TIMBER
timber . The word comes into various compounds to describe boards used for See also:
SPECIAL
special purposes, or See also:
OBJECTS
objects like boards (See also:
DRAWING
drawing-See also:
BOARD (O. Eng. bord)
board, ironing-board, See also:
SOUNDING (for derivation see SOUND above)
sounding-board, See also:
CHESS
chess-board, cardboard, back-board, See also:
NOTICE
notice-board, scoring-board) . The phrase " to keep one's name on the boards," at See also:
CAMBRIDGE
CAMBRIDGE, EARLS AND DUKES OF
CAMBRIDGE, RICHARD OWEN (1717-1802)
Cambridge University, signifies to remain a member of a See also:
COLLEGE (Collegium)
college; at See also:
OXFORD
OXFORD, EARLS OF
OXFORD, EDWARD DE VERE, 17TH EARL
OXFORD, JOHN DE VERE, 13TH EARL OF (1443-1513)
OXFORD, PROVISIONS OF
OXFORD, ROBERT DE VERE, 9TH EARL OF (1362-1392)
OXFORD, ROBERT HARLEY, 1ST
Oxford it is " on the books." In See also:
BOOKBINDING
bookbinding, pasteboard covers are called boards . Board was See also:
EARLY
EARLY, JUBAL ANDERSON (1816-1894)
early used of a table, hence such phrases as " See also:
BED
BED (a common Teutonic word, cf. German Bett, probably connected with the Indo-European root bhodh, seen in the Lat. fodere, to dig; so " a dug-out place " for safe resting, or in the same sense as a garden " bed ")
bed and board," " board and lodging "; or of a gaming-table, as in the phrase " to sweep the board," meaning to See also:
POCKET
pocket all the stakes, hence, figuratively, to carry all before one . The same meaning leads to " Board of See also:
TRADE (O. Eng. trod, footstep, from tredan, to tread; in M. Eng. the forms teed, trod and trade appear, the last in the sense of a beaten track)
TRADE, BOARD OF
Trade," " See also:
LOCAL
Local See also:
GOVERNMENT
GOVERNMENT (0. Fr. governement, mod. gouvernement, O. Fr. governer, mod. gouverner, from Lat. gubernare, to steer a ship, guide, rule; cf. Gr. xv(3epvav)
Government Board," &c . From the meaning of border or See also:
SIDE
SIDE (mod. Eski Adalia)
side, and especially See also:
SHIP
ship's side, comes " See also:
SEA (in O. Eng. sae, a common Teutonic word; cf. Ger. See, Dutch Zee, &c.; the ultimate source is uncertain)
SEA, COMMAND OF THE
sea-board," meaning sea-See also:
COAST (from Lat. costa, a rib, side)
coast, and the phrases " aboard " (Fr. abord), " over-board," " by the board "; similarly " See also:
WEATHER (O. Eng. weder; the word is common to Teutonic languages; cf. Du. weder, Dan. veir, Icel. ve8r, and Ger. Wetter and Gewitter, storm; the root is wa- to blow, from which is derived " wind ")
weather-board," the side of a ship which is to See also:
WIND
WIND (a common Teut. word, cognate with Skt. vats, Lat. ventus, cf. " weather," to be of course distinguished from to " wind," to coil or twist, O.Eng. windan, cf. "wander," "wend," &c.)
wind-See also:
WARD
WARD, ADOLPHUS WILLIAM (1837- )
WARD, ARTEMUS
WARD, EDWARD MATTHEW (1816-1879)
WARD, ELIZABETH STUART PHELPS (1844-1911)
WARD, JAMES (1769--1859)
WARD, JAMES (1843– )
WARD, JOHN QUINCY ADAMS (1830-1910)
WARD, LESTER FRANK (1841– )
WARD, MARY AUGUSTA [MRS HUMPHRY WARD]
WARD, WILLIAM (1766-1826)
WARD, WILLIAM GEORGE (1812-1882)
ward; " larboard and starboard " (the former of uncertain origin, See also:
MID
Mid . Eng. laddeboard or latheboard; the latter meaning " steering side," O . Eng. steorbord, the See also:
RUDDER (O.E. Rather, i.e. rower)
rudder of early See also:
SHIPS
ships working over the steering side), signifying (to one See also:
STANDING
standing at the stern and looking forward) the See also:
LEFT
left and right sides of the ship respectively . BOARDING-See also:
HOUSE
HOUSE (O. Eng. hiss, a word common to Teutonic languages, cf. Dut. huis, Ger. Haus; in Gothic it is only found in gudhiss, a temple; it may be ultimately connected with the root of " hide," conceal)
HOUSE, a private house in which the proprietor provides board and lodging for paying guests . The position of a See also:
GUEST (a word common to Teutonic languages; cf. Ger. Gast, and Swed. gust; cognate with Lat. hostis, originally a stranger, hence enemy; cf. " host " )
GUEST, EDWIN (1800–188o)
guest in a boarding-house differs in See also:
ENGLISH
English See also:
LAW
LAW (0. Eng. lagu, M. Eng. lawe; from an old Teutonic root lag, " lie," what lies fixed or evenly; cf. Lat. lex, Fr. loi)
LAW, JOHN (1671—1729)
LAW, WILLIAM (1686-1761)
law, to some extent, on the one See also:
HAND
HAND (a word common to Teutonic languages; cf. Ger. Hand, Goth. handus)
HAND, FERDINAND GOTTHELF (1786-185r)
hand from that of a lodger in the See also:
ORDINARY (med. Lat. ordinarius, Fr. ordinaire)
ordinary sense of the See also:
TERM
term, and on the other from that of a guest in an See also:
INN
inn . Unlike the lodger, he frequently has not the exclusive occupation of particular rooms . Unlike the guest in an inn, his landlord has no See also:
LIEN
lien upon his See also:
PROPERTY
property for See also:
RENT
rent or any other See also:
DEBT (Lat. debitum, a thing owed)
debt due in respect of his board (See also:
THOMPSON
THOMPSON, FRANCIS (1860-1907)
THOMPSON, LAUNT (1833-1894)
THOMPSON, SIR HENRY, BART
THOMPSON, SIR JOHN SPARROW (1844-1894)
THOMPSON, THOMAS PERONNET (1783-1869)
THOMPSON, WILLIAM HEPWORTH (18ro–1886)
Thompson v .

See also:

LACY, FRANZ MORITZ, COUNT (1725-1801)
LACY, HARRIETTE DEBORAH (1807-1874)
LACY, MICHAEL ROPHINO (1795–1867)
Lacy, 1820,3 B. and Ald . 283) . The landlord is under an See also:
OBLIGATION
obligation to take reasonable care for the safety of property brought by a guest into his house, and is liable for See also:
DAMAGES (through O. Fr. damage, mod. Fr. dommage, from Lat. damnum, loss)
damages in See also:
CASE
CASE, JOHN (d. 1600)
case of See also:
BREACH (Mid. Eng. breche, derived from the common Teutonic root brec, which appears in " break," Ger. brechen, &c.)
breach of this obligation (See also:
SCARBOROUGH
Scarborough v . Cosgrove, 1905, 2 K.B . 803) . Again, unlike the innkeeper, a boarding-house keeper does not hold himself out as ready to receive all travellers for whom he has See also:
ACCOMMODATION (Lat. accommodare, to make fit, from ad, to, cum, with, and modus, measure)
accommodation, for which they are ready to pay, and of course he is entitled to get rid of any guest on giving reasonable notice (see Lamond v . See also:
RICHARD
RICHARD (d. 1184)
RICHARD, FRANCOIS MARIE BENJAMIN (18,9-1908)
RICHARD, HENRY (1812-1888)
RICHARD, ST
Richard, 1897, I Q.B . 541, 548) . What is reasonable notice depends on the terms of the See also:
CONTRACT
CONTRACT (Lat. contract us, from contrahere, to draw together, to bind)
contract; and, subject thereto, the course of See also:
PAYMENT (Fr. paiement, from payer, to pay; Lat. pacare, to appease, pax, peace)
payment of rent is a material circumstance (see LANDLORD AND See also:
TENANT (from Lat. tenere, to hold)
TENANT) . Apparently the same implied See also:
WARRANTY
warranty of fitness for habitation at the commencement of the tenancy which exists in the case of furnished lodgings (see LODGER AND LODGINGS) exists also in the case of boarding-houses; and the guest in a boarding-house, like a lodger, is entitled to all the usual and necessary conveniences of a dwelling-house . The law of the See also:
UNITED
United States is similar to English law . Under the See also:
FRENCH
FRENCH, DANIEL CHESTER (1850– )
FRENCH, NICHOLAS (1604-1678)
French See also:
CODE (Lat. codex)
Code See also:
CIVIL
Civil, claims for subsistence furnished to a debtor and his See also:
FAMILY
family during the last See also:
YEAR
year of his See also:
LIFE
life by boarding-house keepers (maitres de See also:
PENSION (Lat. pensio, a payment, from pendere, to weigh, to pay)
pension) are privileged over the generality of moveables, the See also:
PRIVILEGE
privilege being exerciseable after legal expenses, funeral expenses, the expenses of the last illness, and the See also:
WAGES (the plural of " wage," from Late Lat. wadium, a pledge, O. Fr. wagier, gagier)
wages of servants for the year elapsed and what is due for the current year (See also:
ART
art .

2101 (5)) . Keepers of taverns (aubergistes) and hotels (hoteliers) are responsible for the goods of their guests—the committal of which to their custody is regarded as a See also:

DEPOSIT (Lat. depositurn, from deponere, to lay down, to put in the care of)
deposit of See also:
NECESSITY (Lat. necessitas)
necessity (See also:
DEPOT (from the Fr. depot, Lat. depositum, laid down; the French accent marks are usually dispensed with in English)
depot necessaire) . They are95 liable for the loss of such goods by See also:
THEFT
theft, whether by servants or strangers, but not where the loss is due to force majeure (arts . 1952–1954) . Their liability for See also:
MONEY
money and See also:
BEARER
bearer securities not actually deposited is limited to See also:
I000
I000 francs (law of 18th of See also:
APRIL
April 1889) . These provisions are reproduced in substance in the Civil Codes of See also:
QUEBEC
Quebec (arts . 1814, 1815, 1994, 2006) and of St See also:
LUCIA (or LucY), ST
Lucia (art . 1889) . In Quebec, boarding-house keepers have a lien on the goods of their guests for the value or See also:
PRICE
PRICE, BARTHOLOMEW (1818–1898)
PRICE, BONAMY (1807-1888)
PRICE, RICHARD (1723-1791)
price of any See also:
FOOD
FOOD (like the verb " to feed," from a Teutonic root, whence O. Eng. foda; cf. " fodder "; connected with Gr. lrareicOae, to feed)
food or accommodation furnished to them, and have also a right to sell their baggage and other property, if the amount remains unpaid for three months, under conditions similar to those imposed on innkeepers in See also:
ENGLAND
ENGLAND, THE CHURCH OF
England (art . 1816 A; and see INNS AND INNKEEPERS); also in the Civil Code of St Lucia (arts . 1578, 1714, 1715) . (A .

W . R.) BOARDING-OUT See also:

SYSTEM
SYSTEM, in the English poor law, the boarding-out of See also:
ORPHAN
orphan or deserted See also:
CHILDREN, LAW RELATING TO
children with suitable See also:
FOSTER, GEORGE EULAS (1847– )
FOSTER, JOHN (177o-1843)
FOSTER, MYLES BIRKET (1825-1899)
FOSTER, SIR CLEMENT LE NEVE (1841-1904)
FOSTER, SIR MICHAEL (1836-r9o7)
FOSTER, STEPHEN COLLINS (1826-1864)
foster-parents . The practice was first authorized in 1868, though for many years previously it had been carried out by some boards of guardians on their own initiative . Boarding-out is governed by two orders of the Local Government Board, issued in 1889 . The first permits guardians to board-out children within their own See also:
UNION
UNION (known locally as Union Hill and officially as Town of Union)
union, except in the See also:
METROPOLIS (Gr. piir17Pi mother, srGXis, city)
metropolis . The second governs the boarding-out of children in localities outside the union . The sum payable to the foster-parents is not to exceed 4S. per See also:
WEEK (from A.S. wicu, Germanic *wikon, probably=change, turn)
week for each See also:
CHILD
CHILD, FRANCIS JAMES (1825-1896)
CHILD, L
CHILD, LYDIA MARIA (1802-1880)
CHILD, SIR FRANCIS (1642-1713)
CHILD, SIR JOHN (d. 1690)
CHILD, SIR JOSIAH (163o - 1699)
child . 'The system has been much discussed by authorities on the See also:
ADMINISTRATION (Lat. administrare, to serve)
administration of the poor law . It has been objected that few working-men with an See also:
AVERAGE
average-sized family can afford to devote such an amount for the See also:
MAINTENANCE (Fr. maintenance, from maintenir, to maintain, support, Lat. manu tenere, to hold in the hand)
maintenance of each child, and that, therefore, boarded-out children are better off than the children of the See also:
INDEPENDENT
independent (See also:
FAWCETT, HENRY (1833-1884)
FAWCETT, JOHN (1768-1837)
Fawcett, See also:
PAUPERISM (Lat. pauper, poor)
Pauperism) . Working-class guardians, also, do not favour the system, being suspicious as to the disinterestedness of the foster-parents . On the other hand, it is argued that from the economic and educational point of view much better results are obtained by boarding-out children; they are given a natural life, and when they grow up they are without effort merged in the See also:
GENERAL
GENERAL (Lat. generalis, of or relating to a genus, kind or class)
general See also:
POPULATION (Lat. populus, people; populare, to populate)
population (See also:
MACKAY
MACKAY, CHARLES (1814–1889)
MACKAY, HUGH (c. 164o-169z)
MACKAY, JOHN WILLIAM (1831–1902)
Mackay, Hist . Eng .

Poor Law) . See also POOR LAW . The " boarding-out " of lunatics is, in See also:

SCOTLAND
SCOTLAND, CHURCH OF
SCOTLAND, EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF
Scotland, a See also:
REGULAR
regular See also:
PART
part of the lunacy administration . It has also been successfully adopted in See also:
BELGIUM
BELGIUM (Fr. Belgique; Flem. Belgic)
Belgium .

Slán Go Foill :wink:
Uilliam
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: And all this from the first person to whine at the merest whiff of non-piping topics daring to rear their ugly heads on the oh-so-precious piping forum. :lol: The boards were also known as trenchers, from the French word trancher, to slice. The bread platter that you refer to was not used for any dish that required slicing or spearing.

djm
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Au Contraire Mon Ami this thread is bang on topic in creating that hallowed space with which to pursue your hobby of reedmaking,uileann pipe reedmaking on an uilleann pipe forum.It is also a wind up.Au Revoir. :wink:
Uilliam
ps If ye cut the meat afore ye put it on yer bread why would ye want to slice it again?
pps Why would ye want to spear yer meat when it is on the bread?
ppps The bread acted as a soak for the meat juices
pppps Fingers where the normal means for transference of food frae bread to mouth
ppppps Feck the rain forests we will go back to using paper plates :wink:
djm

Post by djm »

Uilliam wrote:ppppps Feck the rain forests we will go back to using paper plates
Now you're talking sense. You had me worried for a while. :)

djm