Apron?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Seamus
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seamus »

...or whatever you call 'em....

What do you like yours made of? Nice, soft leather? Does yours tie onto your leg or just 'drape' over?

Ponderings from a rookie....
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

What works for me is a rectangular piece of suede. I find that the shiny side of leather doesn't work as well as the suede. The underside grips your trouser leg nicely as will a leather one.

Make sure not to get a piece that's too soft and also not to get a piece that's too hard. The soft/thin one will crease and disallow a good seal. Likewise the hard/thick one will not allow you an airtight seal unless the chanter is exactly square on your leg.

The one I use I found in a hobby shop. They had many colours but be warned, the dye runs and will ruin your good trousers :wink:

All the best,

Patrick.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Patrick D'Arcy on 2002-08-13 15:06 ]</font>
janice

Post by janice »

All innuendo aside, bare skin works best pour moi, and I find that my optimum playing is always in shorts weather!

I even went so far as to make a pair of "piping jeans"-I made a hole in the appropriate spot and attached a velcro flap that I removed when piping(I kid you not). But *alas* I quit wearing them after too many funny looks.......too bad, cause they worked real well as a popping strap replacement in the winter.