Should I even think of starting without a mentor or teacher?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

Hi guys! I want to start on Uilleann pipes (someday), but there is no teacher/fellow piper anywhere within this country. Should I even think of starting without anyone to guide me regarding this complex instrument?

Or is it better for me just to get one of David Daye's or Song of the Sea's U-pipe chanters just for the U-pipe sound?
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

David's chanters are uilleann by all accounts! Not like the whistle/pennychanter thingy Song of the Sea puts out.

I'm hoping to order one with ol' G.W.'s gracious tax refund. I'd look into some videos as they're the next best thing to a live teacher. I know there's a bunch out there.

Definitely get a set as soon as possible, if for no other reason than to get comfortable with the feel of it all strapped to your body! It's different from the whistle my friend! :smile:

Good Luck!

Brian!

P.S. Where exactly are you? You may be supprised who plays close to you...
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Hey Brian, thanks for the advice! I'm in Singapore, and I WILL be surprised (as in *really really really* surprised) if anyone plays U-pipes close to me at all - unless you're speaking relative terms, like close compared to, lets say, Alpha Centauri.

In Singapore, the trad Irish music scene as I know it, is almost limited to the 5 people that play in my session circle band thingy. Even the "Underground" music scene here is bigger than that! That makes us super-duper underground I guess.

Ocassionally unknown, good players get imported here for gigs but those are far and few in between. If any of you guys are stopping over in Singapore, do give me a email!

So the idea is that its okay for me to *think* (possible act later) about learning the U-pipes even if I'll have no personal guidiance?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eldarion on 2001-08-16 05:39 ]</font>
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

There are a bunch of videos that I see recommended all the time for the UP -- I can't remember the names offhand because I'm a while off from getting a set, but the UILLEANN list (you're on that, right? :smile: ) archives would have it. Combining that with instruction over the 'net from Scoiltrad, and you might just end up pretty well-covered!
<ul>-Rich</ul>
eskin

Post by eskin »

I'd try to find someone to check out any set you might want to learn on, or send the set to someone you trust to check it out before you try and learn. There are just so many things that can be wrong, from reed problems, valves inserted upside down or non-functional, leaks, etc. that can make the instrument nearly impossible to play. I've spent a lot of time with new players and universally, their sets have needed some tweaking or were unplayable as delivered.

Some things to make sure of:

1) The intake valve on the bellows is functional and seals well. If not you'll just blow the air out when you squeeze. It also must be installed so that the flapper closes the valve with gravity.

2) The blow-back valve from the bellows to the bag is installed so it closes with gravity and seals well. If this valve leaks or is installed upside down, you'll just push the air from the bag back into the bellows when you squeeze the bag. One local player didn't realize that his set had this problem and was fighting with it for over a year before I tried his set and realized instantly what the problem was.

3) Make sure that the reed isn't completely wide open, set the bridle so you can easily produce a tone. If its wide open you will hear a lot of air rushing through the chanter when the bag is squeezed to a medium pressure, but no tone. You shouldn't have to use a lot of strength to play the chanter.

4) Check the bellows for any leaks and fix them.

5) Check the bag for any leaks and fix them.

Thats a good starting list to having a workable set.

Cheers,

Michael
http://www.michaeleskin.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eskin on 2001-08-16 11:46 ]</font>
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

i recomend buying a daye pennychanter with an extra reed and if you are handy with tools,sowing and such ,make your bag,bellows and stocks while you wait,or order those from him also.you won't go into hock over his prices and you will have a very playable instrument with very few surprises.i am self taught and it is slow at first.be very carefull about keeping the hands relaxed and learn not to grip-press too hard with the fingers.to me it was-is very exciting learning what pressures are needed to achive the notes-tones you desire and then to consistantly be able to recall and repeat them.there is alot going on that must become natural and it will with care full practice and desire.go for it.
best of luck,tansy
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Eldarion,
Thought you might like to hear a sample of my Daye set. (I sent it to you by e-mail) The recording is from after only a month of learning, so please excuse the crudeness. I am a bit better now though! I would highly recommend the Daye set as a beginning set until you can afford a "real" set, although the Daye is excellent. It can always be used as a substitute set to another set of pipes as well.
In absence of a tutor I would also highly recommend the video series "The Art of Uilleann Piping" by Na Piobairi Uilleann. I got mine at Celtic Fire (there is a link to them on Chiff and Fipple). Volume 1 will take you from setting up your pipes and troubleshooting and then will start you off on the scale, a simple tune or 2, and then gives you some ornamentation to work on. There are also several more tunes on the tape to practice, and the tape includes a small booklet of the tunes and tips.
Hope this helps!
Ailin
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Go to:
http://www.iol.ie/~npupipes/Catalogue.htm
to order Na Píobairí Uilleann's tutorial videos. They are absolutely invaluable to anyone learning the pipes without a teacher nearby.

Also check out:
http://www.madfortrad.com/
... they have an excellent CDROM for sale with Seán Potts teaching the pipes.

And:
http://www.scoiltrad.com/
... for downloadable lessons via the web.

All the best,

Patrick.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Eldarion, I had the same problem of not living near a u piper. And once owned a practice set. But my age was creeping up on me and I didn't have the time to devote to it- so I sold my practice set and bought a flute.

But I did purchase the videos mention above in the other posts on the recommendation of the late Al Purcell one of the world's great pipers, which I now have sold. I also purchased a tutorial especially designed for students who don't live near a teacher,it is called:

The new approach to Uilleann piping by H. J Clarke and is published by Ossian Publications. It comes with a CD with the lessons on it matching those in the book.
http://www.ossian.ie

I got my copy from Melody Music in Texas for $48.00 US

If I was twenty years younger I would be playing the pipes--highland or uilleann it doesn't matter because when I hear them my heart soars.

Don't let not having a teacher near stop you--Go for it.

Mark
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hello again,

I forgot to mention in my last message to stay away from the whistle chanter. If you want to play the pipes... play the pipes. There are a ton of makers out there that can get a set to you very quickly compared to years ago.

Gluck,

Patrick.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Patrick D'Arcy on 2001-08-21 22:09 ]</font>
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Hey Patrick, thanks for your advice. Its not a time thing that I care about, but I'm don't think I can afford a set of pipes above the range of $400 right now, especially having ordered 2 Overtons. Is anyone getting rid of a set for a nice price perhaps?
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Eldarion, NOTHING else is like Uilleann Pipes. Patrick's advice is correct, but only you can make the decision as to where your money goes. Depending on the configuration and country you get the pipes from, you can expect to pay anywhere from $700 to $1,400USD for a practice set. Well made pipes can easily last a generation with proper care and maintenance. Depreciation on used sets is slight... be wary of *deals* unless you know the source, can see and hear the pipes play or you can get a refund if you're not satisfied with your purchase.