SoCal Tionól

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Here's a few more videos from the concert I was able to edit last night:

Joey Albarta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UorsHBaMbew

Ben Power and Benedict Koehler
(sorry about the brief zoom 3/4 of the way through...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pQkEjTTatA

Jimmy O'Brien-Moran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArenJmWibDM

Sean McKiernan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn0u_wkdX8A
glands

Post by glands »

My hat's off to Joey for accomplishing what he has with the pipes in a very short period of time...and to the SCUPC, and especially Patrick d'Arcy, for the interest and attention they all have given to this young man. Everything happens as it should in some cases. This is all cause for celebration of the success of the So Cal group and everything they do to support one another and get folks on the right road to musical discovery. They are the most unassuming and accomodating group of folks I've ever met. The world could learn a valuable set of lessons from them.

Michael, fair play to you for all you have done for the club...instructor....archivist.....example of a fine piper and player crossing several musical instruments.

As much has gone on there in So Cal over the past decade I suggest you folks seriously consider establishment of a repository/bonafide archive and collect all documents, correspondence, photos videos, stories from people who would reflect now, etc. A multitude of us have the memories forever but you have a lot to give future generations who will not have been present.
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

To head off the floods of enquiries:

Jimmy's air: The Banks of the Suir
Sean's air: Jimmy Mo Mhile Stor
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Great tionól everyone. It was a pleasure to see old friends and meet some new ones. Huge thanks to everyone who put it on. Extra huge thanks to Douglas and Larry for hosting me.

You haven't lived until you've sat in Jimmy's "Fiery Circle of Death" workshop. Talk about losing all ability to play or think.

Can't wait until next year.
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Jimmy's circle of death isn't that bad :-) At least you get to play a tune you know. I hate the "play this part, play the next part" I did like Maire Na Grada's method as well. She played and all of us tried to play along at the same time. Seems less intimidating.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Ah yes Fel, but you're assuming one remembers the tune you want to play and doesn't choke halfway through playing it. ;-)

Great meeting you by the way.
J-dub

Post by J-dub »

A wonderful Tylenol indeed! It was great to see so many friendly familiar faces and to make so many new acquaintances as well.

Thanks to everyone who helped make it possible, especially Larry for being comander and chief, and Gabe and Eilleen for letting 50 pipers run amok in their house for the weekend.

I particullarly enjoyed meeting Sean McKiernan, he is a true gentleman piper if there ever was one, and a very kind person.

John.
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

A great weekend indeed! I am still recovering from lack of sleep and various cane harvesting related injuries. Thanks infinitum go out to Gabriel and Eileen for hosting and to Larry and the gang for organizing this amazing event. It was great to see again everyone I knew and it was equally grand to meet thse I didn't. If I could request one thing before I leave this plane of existence, it would be that I am able to have the company of the fabulous Sean McKeirnan once more. He is a true gem of the piping community.

and if anyone sees Jimmy O'Brien-Moran in the coming weeks or months, please pass on my apologies for forgetting to give him a go on Barry O'Neill's Egan chanter. :oops:
bwilson

Post by bwilson »

MikeyLikesIt wrote: I am still recovering from lack of sleep and various cane harvesting related injuries.
What happened? The cane was supposed to be so plentiful that you didn't even need to get out of the car to harvest it! I trust that the injuries were not serious and that you got a load of good cane. Now quit wasting time on the internet and get to work on my pipes, young man. :)

With regard to the "Fiery Circle of Death" that someone else mentioned, I was pleasantly surprised this year. I was in Jimmy's class 2 years ago and was embarrassed and intimidated. This time around, after conveniently missing the morning class, I joined the afternoon class. My piping is a little rusty right now, so I played an easy jig with nothing fancy in it. (Jimmy said to play something that is a good example of my piping skills, and so that seemed appropriate.) Perhaps because I had such low expectations for myself, I was able to relax and just take in the suggestions from Jimmy, both for my own playing and for what he said to others. In retrospect, I think my perception of Jimmy as intimidating had very little to do with him and everything to do with my reaction to being put on the spot.

Anyway, I had a great time. It was really inspiring to hear so many great players and so many beautiful instruments. I have a new determination to practice so I can play like that!
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

bwilson wrote:
MikeyLikesIt wrote: I am still recovering from lack of sleep and various cane harvesting related injuries.
What happened? The cane was supposed to be so plentiful that you didn't even need to get out of the car to harvest it! I trust that the injuries were not serious and that you got a load of good cane.
Nothing too serious on my part, nor Ted's, but Michael got lacerated pretty bad and got stitches today. I walked away with only a few scratches. The thing about cane though is that it is nasty stuff, loaded with bacterium and viruses. If anyone should be nicked by the stuff, throw some triple antibiotic ointment on straight away. As far as the load of cane goes, it came from the same spot that yielded some amazing stuff, but we're gonna have to wait to find out about that one. Ted suggests a two year cure time, so when that window of time flies by we'll see.

Fingers crossed,
Mike
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Michael Hubbert?

Hope he's alright...Alright enough to work, anyways...He's supposed to be finishing up my regulators right now!

Damned jealous of you all. Maybe next time for once I'll actually be able to make it down. Anyway, hopefully I'll see yiz all at the Seattle tionól in February...

(As an aside, anyone know who the guests are going to be in Seattle this time?)
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

I was wondering that myself
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I really liked Jimmy's teaching style, asking each person to play their favourite tune, and then teaching one-on-one, making suggestions of how to improve. In some workshops far too much time is spent just getting people on playing the tune and little time is left for teaching technique or style. Another tack to avoid that problem, which some teachers have used, is to pick a common tune that everyone already knows but alas, there's always somebody who doesn't know it.
Also very impressive was Benedict Koehler's teaching style. What a complete master of his instrument! Just his talk about tuning drones, which one might think elementary, was a revelation.
The tionol was fantastic in every way. Hats off to everyone involved.
I'm just sorry that I had to squeeze in two gigs and taking the kids to Disneyland into the same weekend!!! (In case anyone wondered why I floated in and out seemingly at random...)
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

tommykleen wrote:
Patrick D'Arcy wrote:That's "The Fairy Reel" as far as I know.

PD.
I am given to the notion that it is The Blackberry Blossom, aka The Boys Of Ballynahinch. If I'm right, what to I win :) :) :) ?

t
BRILLIANT! Two tunes I thought I didn't know.... life is gooooood :)

PD.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Thanks for sharing the videos Michael, great schtuff!