HEEEEEELP!!!!!!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Storm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Storm »

I'm a young Australian living in melbourne, and i am finding it VERY hard to find anyone that will teach me to play irish instruments at a rate that i can afford (which is very little!)
I tried to find someone that could teach me to play the fiddle (yes, the fiddle, not violin! they couldn't understand that...) and the Uillean, but when i rang monash university's music department, they didn't even know what a Uillean was!
I currently play a few (VERY few) tunes on the penny whistle, but unfortunatley, i have been gifted (or cursed) with my family's one music ability. I can play ANYTHING after i have listened to it a few times, and seen the fingering at least once. However, i CANNOT read music. I have tried and tried, and i just can't. This rules out reading sheet music from a book or the net. So now i need help...even if it's just to get someone to show me a few tunes on my whistle! I would LOVE to learn to play the Uillean, (i had some success with a clarinet, not the same, i know! that's why i gave it up!) but i just can't find anyone to teach me, let alone somewhere in this country that i can BUY one from...If anyone could help me in my dilemma, it would be most appreciated.
(BTW, if anyone is willing to send me a few 'picture' music sheets, i would be most grateful. My penny whistle is a D scale whistle, and is what i believe is called a "low whistle"...i could be wrong in that, though! lol:) )
@->->--
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

You might try picking up CDs full of UP music to help. The Mad for Trad UP tutorial also has video of fingering in action. You can also pick up great programs that will play ABC tune files, or other music formats on your computer.

Dionys
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Good U Pipemaker in Australia is Ian MacKenzie of Simack. I see he's listeed at:
http://www.iol.ie/~npupipes/Links%20Page.htm
but I can't get to his website.
I have developed a simple and quick system for marking the whistle fingering under notes that are written on staff lines (sheet music). Send me an email and I'll respond with an attachment. Send to tom_muckian@whitmores.com
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

OK, here are some people in Australia that might be of help to you. If not directly, they can point you in the right direction.

Paul Mortimer ('Mort'), organises the main sessions in Sydney. He also brings the teachers of Irish music over for long term stays and lessons. His phone is:
(02) 95199573
address: 65 Lincoln St.,Stanmore.

Pipemaker Adrian Jefferies, Toowong, AU
tradename: Mada Rua
http://www.tth.com.au/irishpipes/