At The Movies: Kieran O'Hare

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
brianc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianc »

I don't know if this has been discussed here on this forum, but last night the wife and myself went to the cinema to see "Road To Perdition".

The film starts out nicely with a short piping solo.

So throughout the movie, I kept thinking to myself "I wonder who that piper is?"

And there, prominently in the credits at the end of the film was the name:

Kieran O'Hare.

The only bad part was that they didn't have more of his piping, although there was a scene in the film that takes place at a wake, where a session group was playing - and there he was - in the scene!

Well done, Kieran!
Paul Reid
antispam: No

Post by Paul Reid »

As though there weren't enough motive to go and see this film!! Hanks, Newman and now ... Kieran O'Hare?? Yikes!! Looks like my wife and I have an excuse to get a babysitter next week!! :wink:

Cheers,

PR
brianc

Post by brianc »

Paul,

Just don't expect to hear much piping in the film. It's a very short bit right at the start, and another short bit later on, maybe 20 minutes into it, and that's all.

And - be forewarned- the film is quite graphic in many parts throughout - it's rated 'R', and it's all for the violence depicted in it. So if that sort of thing isn't to your liking, then you'll come away less than happy, I think.
Big Mick

Post by Big Mick »

My wife and I saw it last night. It is certainly violent, but not in any sort of a gratuitous way. It is a tragedy in the classic sense, set in depression era times. I was surprised that they didn't make it even bloodier than it is. And thankful. It is a wonderful film.

Thanks for pointing out who the piper was, I had to leave immediately and couldn't wait for the credits. I was wondering who it was.
All the best,

Big Mick Lane
Mypipes

Post by Mypipes »

Is it out on vhs? Ps. I played with Keiren at two sessions at e. durham Irish arts week. Of coarse I was playing bodhran in a very sensitve way to the piping ...Zan Mcload on Bozouki and Liz knowlws fiffdle ..Tony Demarco ..what a great week !...Beginner pipes with Benedict Koehler
Big Mick

Post by Big Mick »

It wouldn't be out on vhs yet, it is still in first run.

Sounds like a great week.
All the best,

Big Mick Lane
carrie

Post by carrie »

Not only is one of our local greats (Kieran O'Hare) playing in the movie (part of which was filmed here in Evanston, IL), but another local great, John Williams (my flute teacher, I'm happy to say), wrote one of the tunes in that movie. I heard him play it at a session here in town and was struck by its haunting beauty; when I asked him what tune it was, he said, "Oh, that's Perdition, the one I wrote for the movie." I haven't seen the movie yet--I wonder if that's the tune O'Hare plays. Looking forward to finding out.

Carol
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

All this talk about Kieran O'Hare...
I have his CD that I haven't listened to in a while. Guess it's time, he's very talented and the CD was great.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I just recently got back from Swannanoa Celtic week where Kieran was the piping instructor.

Photos up at:

http://www.granitehillsdesign.com/michael/pipingclass/

Enjoy,

Michael
DavidSchulz

Post by DavidSchulz »

Oh man that second to last picture has got to be the ugliest set of pipes I've ever seen :lol: