Differences between practice and half sets

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
joey_schu
antispam: No

Post by joey_schu »

Hello all!

I've been keeping up on the threads on good pipemakers, and I've decided it's time to accomplish the dream and order my set. A few questions first for all you who know WAY more than I do:

If I start with a practice set, how hard is it to add drones later (make it a half set)? From what I gather, to upgrade, you order the drones and install them yourself?

Also, I thought I heard it's possible to turn the drones off. Does that decrease the air requirements to that of a practice set?

I'd like to order a set made from cocobolo. Does this wood have any affect on tone?

Thanks everyone! I may have a few more questions later. I appreciate your help!

Joey
dirk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dirk »

Sure, any good maker or local teacher would be able to tie in your new drones to the same bag to expand your practice set to a half set. This is the route I took when growing into my Kirk Lynch half set. Also, my set is cocobolo, and I like it a lot.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Joey,
If you're already sure you want to add drones to a practice set, when you place the order (for the practice set) you can ask the pipemaker to 'tie-in' a cup to the bag and make a removable plug. This way, you won't have to return your set when adding drones. I've heard this to be standard for a few makers that deal with overseas customers.
------
There's a shutoff lever in the bottom of the mainstock where the drones fit into it.
------
Different woods have an effect on the sound of the instrument. Cocobolo being more toward the mellow side.
Keith
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Keith »

Hi,

I got a practice set just over two years ago and have recently added drones to make a half set.

The debate at London Pipers club seems to follow two alternate threads of opinion:

1. It’s better to get a practice set first, and master the chanter, before adding drones (to make a half set) or regulators (to make a full set). Drones and regulators are a distraction to the beginner

2. It’s better to play with the full set first, that way you get used to playing with the full set, and do not have to ‘relearn’ when you add drones or regulators.

I would subscribe to option 1. I found it hard enough to learn the basics on the chanter, and since I have had the drones, I do spend quite a bit of time fiddling with them. It was a bit difficult to get used to playing with a stock and the drones in place, and I’m still getting used to playing with them actually on after 3 months, but I think this will be relatively easily overcome. Additionally, one of my fellow pipers just got a full set after playing with a practice set for about five years, and he took to them very quickly.

In any case, I would ensure that whoever you order them from is able to provide the upgrades to a half set or a full set. It took my maker (Robbie Hughes) only a few hours to fit them, but as he had to fit the wooden stock to the bag, I had to bring the pipes to him.

Enjoy your new set, whatever you decide to do.

Cheers, Keith

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Keith on 2002-07-16 11:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Keith on 2002-07-16 11:07 ]</font>
joey_schu

Post by joey_schu »

Thanks all!

Another question: Dealing with chanters - any significant difference between the angled neck and the swan neck? Is there a difference in play?

Joey

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: joey_schu on 2002-07-17 00:20 ]</font>
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

No, there's no difference at all. Some old-schoolers might say that the swan-neck is better for the reed than the T-neck, but there is little evidence to support that theory. It's simply a matter of personal preference.