Pictures of coyne set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Pictures of coyne set

Post by rorybbellows »

A friend of mine has posted some picture of the coyne set pictured below the Moloney set here

http://uilleannforum.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

Scroll down the page a little it,s posted under the same topic heading as this one .

Any idea of the purpose of the cranked bass reg key??

He also be posting some photos of two Egan sets and another Coyne set in the coming days

RORY
kenr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenr »

Re the cranked key - no idea why it's like that. This set is interesting in that it has three regulators, all fed directly from the main stock, the bass reg is looped back on itself like present day bass drone as shown in the bottom photo. Three regulators left room for only two drones - this is the only set I have ever seen that has this arrangement. At least one Kenna set pre-dates this with the current method of attaching the bass regulator. These sets were part of the recent Collins Barracks exhibition - the SRS database refers to it as 1890-942.

The article in An piobaire (4-35) said the chanter was a very close match to Kenna's and was good evidence to support the conjecture that John William Coyne was probably the man who took over Kenna's workshop. The chanter is different wood to the rest so may not be the originial chanter so the whole thing becomes even more speculative as the chanter is stamped Coyne the rest of the set isn't stamped. The SRS article says the bellows looks like Egan and overall does not attribute the set to any one maker.

There are more questions than answers about this set, it is a real enigma. Pity Sean Donnelly and Ken McLeod don't contribute to this board.

Nice photos though, thanks for the link Rory.

Ken
billh

Post by billh »

kenr wrote:Re the cranked key - no idea why it's like that.
Ken
I'll wager it's so you can play the F#/D pair on the tenor and bari without inadvertantly sounding the G on the bass. Clever, though perhaps not strictly necessary.

Bill
Kevin L. Rietmann

Re: Pictures of coyne set

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

rorybbellows wrote:A friend of mine has posted some picture of the coyne set pictured below the Moloney set here
wolvy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

How does that popping value work? It is a plunger action?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

wolvy wrote:How does that popping value work? It is a plunger action?
Gravity, I think.
brianc

Post by brianc »

It's interesting how the drones and regs appear to be a bit splayed out from the stock... maybe at a 5 degree angle or even more.
wolvy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
wolvy wrote:How does that popping value work? It is a plunger action?
Gravity, I think.

OK, I can see how that would work. But you know what, Joseph? It means you couldn't play very fast on the moon since the g-field would
be so much weaker. :D