How to care for a practise set?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Stefan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Stefan »

Hello!
Is it dificult to care for a set of pipes?
Are there any special points a beginner has to note for?
Any opinions would help me. Thanks.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Care for pipes is surprisingly simple. Just listen/check for airtightness from time to time. When you feel comfortable, disassemble all the requisite parts of your practice set so you're familiar with how things are and how they should be put back together.

Oiling of your chanter should be infrequent (I usualy do mine around once every 4 months). Use only light oils. I use pure sweet almond oil and this is usualy what is reccomended by most people. Use a cloth to do the outside. Avoid the pads of any keys. If you do the bore with almond oil, it's easiest to use something like a pipe-cleaner. Be sure to place a piece of thick, slightly absorbant paper under each key pad. I don't do this nearly as often as I do the bore of my flute.

Until you're comfortable with your instrument, it's better to leave your reed alone. There are no 'care' issues with a reed, other than being extremely careful when it is outside your chanter, or exposed. There are, of course, adjustment issues once you're comfortable with your instrument and willing to take educated chances.

The bag should be airtight when it comes, and this should last a while. Just check for bag leakage every once in a while (cork up the holes and fill the bag with air, then see if it leaks). If it becomes a little leaky, you can seal it with your choice of sealant. I use pure lanolin, heated to liquid and then poured into the bag (and back out again). Be sure to remove your chanter and air-delivery stock before doing this. Also, leave your bag in the sun before doing it. You get a thinner coat with the same air-tight seal.

Do not polish your brass. At least not with Brasso and things like that. They will actually promote oxidation in the future.

Buy a *nice* case for your set. An old, cute suitcase works great. A specially made instrument box is better. My favourite for storage and long airplane rides is a box made by Pelican (Travel Vault II). It seals out the atmosphere and is great if your instruments (god/goddess forbid) end up going under the plane. Otherwise it's great for traveling because it's nearly indestructable. Always put your set away in the box after using it. That avoids any mis-steps that result in broken chanter/pieces.

Anyone have anything to add?

Dionys
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

On the almond oil...
careful not to get the one used in baking, that's the one mixed with sugars. Use pure almond oil, the type found in health food stores.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Thank you all very much for answering so detailed and quickly.
Stefan
anima

Post by anima »

I like my brass to look shiny and not dull, what would you recommend to polish it then?
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

For polishing the windcap, you might want to use something called a rouge cloth. It's a ver soft cloth impregnated with jewelers rouge(very fine powdered polishing grit). You use it dry and you'll be suprised at how well it works. You can get them in most jewelry stores or jewelry departments of regular stores for about $4.00-$7.00. It'll do a nice job on rings, chains and bracelets too. After polishing, you might consider a coat of clear automotive acrylic spray. It will resist scratches better than regular lacquers. Hope this works.
Marc
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

anima wrote:
I like my brass to look shiny and not dull...
Something shiny like this ??
http://www.angar.net/pipes/half_set.jpg

I'm using Wright's all purpose brass polish, available in many grocery stores. It's a thick white liquid that soaks into a cotton cloth (old bath towel) and goes on without dripping. It gets fast results (for me) and only takes a few drops for each chanter. Should you get any on the wood parts just buff it clean or it will dry leaving a white powdery residue.
Use with caution as it contains ammonia. I didn't find the smell a problem and it disappears quickly.
anima

Post by anima »

looks nice, who made your set?
Tony

Post by Tony »

That's my Childress D half set in blackwood with a 4 key chanter.
dirk

Post by dirk »

For making brass shiny, isn't there a wax you can use to coat it so that it won't require polishing as often?
Tony

Post by Tony »

I'm told that some of the jewelers polishing cloths have an additive that resists tarnish, however I have no first-hand experience with them.
Perhaps we have a "man of the cloth" on the message board that can offer some information?
AlanBurton

Post by AlanBurton »

I'll ask my wife, she's a jeweller.
Alan
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

You should be very careful when polishing your pipes. Try to use one that is alkiline balanced. If you *have* to polish them the jewellers cloth is the best one to use that I know of.

Beware of liquid polishes and the type that have a cotton type material in a tin... these will scar the metal. All you need to do is have a look at your Aunt Doreen's brass knockers (now now... settle down) on her front door and you'll see what these polishes do to metals. Why not go the Séamus Ennis route and let the pipes develop their own patina.... it's quite nice and doesn't damage the metal!

All the best,

Patrick.