Weak Croaking Back D

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
nemethmik

Weak Croaking Back D

Post by nemethmik »

I have received recently a number of reeds and 5 out of 6 have serious quality problems: they are out of tune and/or have weak back D. The most common problem is croaking terribly weak back D. IMHO, the back D should sound best at the same pressure as when playing second octave E,F# or G. However, most reeds breaks/croaks or changes tones when playing back D at this pressure. What is your experiance or opininion?
Thank You, Miki
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

In my meagre experience, a croaking back D is caused by (1) a badly adjusted bridle, (2) a leak in the side of the reed or (3) because the lips need to be chopped back a tiny bit.
PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Who made your chanter Miki?

Pat.
Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

You might want to mention your chanter's maker, the maker of the reeds and if they're local or not, or if you're making them yourself your experience with reedmaking :)

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Weak Croaking Back D

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Hi Miki,
the first "diagnosis" on any reed always is checking that it is airtight. Lay the tip of the finger (no pressure!) over the opening and suck it. If it should leak in my experience the only non-invasive way to cure this is carefully rebinding the blades. Read any manual on reedmaking to see how this is done.
Cheers,
Hans
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Isnt this the same Miklos Nemeth of "Galga Dudazenekar" fame?
He plays one teriffic Duda!

One further observation from PJ's post (although my exp is much meagerer)
The lips at the tip , surrounding the aperture; when too thin, contrubute signifigantly to 'breaking D'. Best to consult pipemaker/reedmaker (if possible)prior to major surgery on the reed.
Cheers
billh

Post by billh »

Hi Miki:

5 of 6 faulty, hmm. I don't like the sound of those odds.

Before we start thrashing the reedmaker or pipemaker, though, a couple of questions - first, did the maker of the chanter also make the reeds? If not, well, anything could happen of course.

Secondly, what is the relative humidity in percent, where you are at the moment? Major climate differences could also cause reeds made for a different %RH to act faulty.

best regards,

Bill
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

billh wrote:
Before we start thrashing the reedmaker or pipemaker...
Let's not, period. If information must be shared, do so out of the public eye. Thanks.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled topic.....
nemethmik

Post by nemethmik »

> did the maker of the chanter also make the reeds?
Yes
> what is the relative humidity in percent, where you are at the moment?
In Hungary, standard humid autumn climate outside, heated (dry)rooms inside.

Thank You for the Questions.
What I was really not sure whether my expectations are too high/extreme/weird or invalid/impossible. A friend here is a much better piper than me and he can control the bellows pressure in a way that most reeds do not croak when he plays back D. He explained that he has learned playing weak reeds. I have not and I am not as good player as he is, therefore I expect the reed to support my playing :)
Of course, there is no excuse to the out-of-tune reeds, which cannot be corrected with bellows techniques.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

nemethmik wrote:.....which cannot be corrected with bellows techniques.
Correction: bag technique.

The bellows only fills the bag. At no time should the bellows be supplying pressure to play a reed.