It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:41 pm 

There's a rumor that somewhere on the web (or this forum) there's a chart or troubleshooting list about where each note of the scale "lives" on an Uilleann pipe chanter reed, so you can learn how to do adjustments for intonation. I'd be very interested to get any lead on this.

By the way... is there any such description of the "anatomy" of a Highland chanter reed, so I can adjust reeds rather than tape or carve chanters?

Thank you,
Rob

Please correspond to robthaydenNOSPAM@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:58 pm 

robthayden wrote:
There's a rumor that somewhere on the web (or this forum) there's a chart or troubleshooting list about where each note of the scale "lives" on an Uilleann pipe chanter reed, so you can learn how to do adjustments for intonation. I'd be very interested to get any lead on this.

By the way... is there any such description of the "anatomy" of a Highland chanter reed, so I can adjust reeds rather than tape or carve chanters?

Thank you,
Rob

Rumor?

try this link:
http://uilleannforum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:24 am 

robthayden wrote:

Thank you,
Rob

Try this page on Davy Stephenson's website.

http://bagpipeworks.co.uk/reeds_j.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:29 am 

You may also like to read about rushes and tape. (Let's not even start talking about carving, JES gets all aireated). http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=44401&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rush+tape

A point about the charts of Pete Hunters Reed Zones, they mostly apply to creating a reed. Once the reed is made, if you F around with those zones without also knowing the detrimental effects, you will almost certainly ruin your reed.

Adjusting reeds for playability and some minor tuning issues is possible (pitch and back D and a little bit of 8ve stuff), but don't go looking at the reed to eliminate all your problems with tuning and tone etc., If you have a nice sounding reed that is nearly there, use rushes and tape. Too much reed adjustment wears 'em out, they are not like Highland reeds, and shouldn't be approached with that mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:42 am 

AlanB wrote:
... (Let's not even start talking about carving, JES gets all aireated).

... I gotta vent sometimes.

When it comes to reed tuning and where the notes "live", I don't think there is a hard and fast rule or code, they're more like guidelines.

The "zones" vary from stick to stick. The important thing to remember is that the reed staple is an extention of the chanter bore, you want to make certain that you use a staple whose ID isn't too large or too small, it should be as close to the diameter of the chanter throat as possible. This will ensure that the reed tuning has the best chance of being spot on.