Two sets on Ebay for sale.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CoyneLover

Post by CoyneLover »

I've seen one of those Brittob Pakistani sets up close. They actually sounded quite nice and looked alright. The set I saw had seen some serious wear and tear..and as such..some of the Nickel had begun to wear off of the brass tubing! SO beward...they are not actual Nickel..but Nickel plated brass...which is not so bad.

The Ginsberg set for sale is quite nice. He actually makes quite nice, serviceable sets. The ones I have seen and played have been more in tune than some others from more "reputable" or "established" makers.

That boxwood set, would be a nice set to own. And if it sounds anything like the flat set I played by Ginsberg...I imagine it would sound quite nice. It looks well made!

Cheers!
CL
Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

I have a Ginsburg chanter and it's well in tune and plays well. A boxwood set would be nice. I love the mellow sound of boxwood. The owner says it's still loud enough to be heard in a session, though. Which is nice.

Dionys
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

The auction has ended.
The Pakistani pipes sold for over $3,000.
There's no guarantee they will play.

A new full set from O'Grady is $3,000.
They will play.
CoyneLover

Post by CoyneLover »

How much did that boxwood set by Ginsberg sell for? Hopefully more than the PAKISTANI set! Goodness, I sure hope so! I can understand how the Pakistani set sold...it's a shiny full set! and the buyer probably didn't have the resources or knowledge most of "us" on this list might have...in other words..they:
1. didn't know it was from pakistan
2. didn't equate pakistan with poor quality
3. Liked how SHINY it was! and just wanted a full set of UILLEAN pipes...ya know..the mystique factor!!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

All they had to do was contact the seller and ask who the maker was... two other guys backed out of the sale when thet realized the pipes were from Pakistan... this was noted on the bid retractions.
Actually, the pictures were some of the best I've seen on eBay and these Pakistani pipes 'appeared' to be well made... however, as musical instruments they probably aren't 'musically accurate' and as said elsewhere "They make great wall ornaments"

The Ginsburg set didn't make the reserve when the auction ended and I didn't see the item re-listed.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

The Ginsburg set's reserve was 2000GBP (around 3000USD) but wasn't met. Part of the reason might be that the chanter had been broken in half and the lower half replaced by Alan. Otherwise I might have considered purchasing them (if I could have scraped together the money). I *love* the sound of boxwood sets. As I have a set that makes me happy right now, though, an additional set would have to be something really special..

Dionys
CoyneLover

Post by CoyneLover »

Well...hmm..too bad about the chanter. But even with a broken chanter...$3000 for a full set of drones, regs, bag & bellows is a very good deal...a chanter shouldn't have been the deciding factor..too bad...I agree..I love boxwood as well!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Where are you guys getting your information about the two sets that were just on eBay? Mike, the owner of the boxwood-Ginsberg set told me by email that the set was unaltered (a broken chanter?)...also he said he had 8 standing offers (off eBay) to buy the set outright for his reserve. As for the Pakistani set, yes they were nice looking but, the guy who owned them was kinda strange, selling magic wands mostly on eBay and apparently into black magic. In a reply to my 2nd inquirey he said he'd "plugged it up like a goose" but it made no noise (whatever that means). My first inquirey asked for permission to come see the set, since they are in my area, and I also asked if any other pipers in his area had ever gotten them working, but alas..no reply to that inquirey...which indicated to me that he didn't want anyone to actually see them first. Tricky...a very dark transaction I bet. Glad my money is still in both pockets!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Pakistani pipes, wooden wand... I suppose it would take a bit'o magic to get them both to work.

Comments on the Ginsburg set... why then, if eight people wanted to buy them for the reserve amount off eBay, couldn't they find anyone to buy them for the same price on eBay??
It would seem (to me) pipes so desired could be sold by word of mouth or placed on a free listing and not have to contend with paying eBay's fee.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

A reserve is often just a tool to test the waters to see if bids may go higher, you never know, but it's worth a little pocket change to find out. The auction also puts you in contact with buyers who may prefer buying them after the auction. I was surprised someone would actually pay more for the Pakistani set. I checked back on my email and noticed that all he said was he had "8 offers so far to buy them outright" and didn't say if the buyers were eBay contacts (I had added the words "for his reserve" assuming that's what he meant). People often email sellers and offer to buy them through ending the auction now. If the seller finds the offer tempting he may do it. So, he may have had offers for a little less.
Tony

Post by Tony »

New eBay listing...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =875893856
The seller is in Australia but makes no comments where the pipes came from. Rather than a reserve amount, this auction has a high starting price.
CoyneLover

Post by CoyneLover »

Careful lads...hmm..un-named maker and seller out of Australia? Remember, the infamous Justin Pickford is located in the land down under!
anima

Post by anima »

fill me in...... Why is he so "infamous"

Jeff
Tony

Post by Tony »

Justin is listed on the old NPU site and the two pipemaking websites I traced were both offline. I recall some messages on the (now defunct) Yahoo club (for Uilleann pipes) message board. The only other existing negative reference I could find was:
http://pluto.beseen.com/boardroom/m/48828/View?n=00737
Justin's name showed up on this page as a musician in the Australian group Cianan. I think it's the same person.
http://www.iconmusic.com/cianan/index.htm
Another link... this one has music samples:
http://artists3.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Cianan/
I listened to a few tunes... but heard no pipes.
Oh, he's been trying to sell a half set on Dean's list: http://www.pipers-hut.com/UPIL/sale.html#Sale:Uilleann
----------------------------
Justin lives in Perth, the eBay set is in Perth...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tony on 2002-05-26 17:53 ]</font>
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Regarding the Australia Set:

Subject:
Re: Question for seller -- Item #875893856

Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 14:45:06 +0800

Hi,
the maker is myself Justin pickford,
regards,
Justin (pipemaker)
http://web.argo.net.au/stephen/pipes_we ... pesweb.htm

Regarding the Ginsburg set, the seller contacted me and let me know he would sell the pipes to me for his reserve (2000gbp). I'm not interested, but I bet he would take offers between what the high bid was and his reserve price.

Dionys