Please Help -- CD to benefit Kirk Lynch

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
zlee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by zlee »

We're looking for folks who play Kirk Lynch instruments, OR who play with people who play Lynch instruments, OR people who know/care about Kirk Lynch, OR pro-level musicians who are willing to contribute to a CD to benefit Kirk Lynch, as well as resources to get the CD together and out into the public eye. Kirk, as some of you may know, has cancer of the eye and his financial situation is becoming dire as he does not have insurance and has been turned down for financial assistance twice. If Kirk loses the eye, he may also lose a great deal of his ability to make pipes, as depth of field is important in the pipemaking process.

Kirk is currently making pipes as fast as he can to help his financial situation, but I think we all know how fast you can make a set of pipes or pieces thereof. A group of us are pooling resources and are getting a benefit CD (professional level only, please) together to try to help him in a significant financial way.

Tracks may be previously recorded or recorded for the CD. Artists will be asked to release the tracks to the CD for benefit purposes, limited to the CD, promotional purposes including airplay, but will otherwise retain rights to the track. (If anyone knows of a lawyer who would be willing to advise us pro bono as to setting the structure behind the release up, we'd love you and him/her to pieces.) We are also looking for resources to publish the physical CD -- pressing facilities, donations of materials, services, etc. Publicity on all materials will be exchanged.

The release will be sold through the Web (either a special website or an independent record label) and by mailorder through various venues -- for instance, Wally Charm of The Piper's Club out west has already offered to feature the release in the Club's magazine.

If you or anyone you know would like to simply contribute monetarily, we'll take that too. Kirk's medical bills alone are in the thousands and thousands of dollars.

Please pass this on, if you would. You never know who might be able to help. Please have them contact me at zlee.geo@yahoo.com. Thanks very much for the help and good thoughts.
Zina Lee
Denver, CO
anima

Post by anima »

is that email address correct? I am getting errors when sending.

Jeff
Strider

Post by Strider »

I noticed that the email has a period after com - delete the period and then try it.

A geek like me notices those things;-)

I just did a test and it worked okay.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Strider on 2002-04-22 19:26 ]</font>
zlee

Post by zlee »

Sorry about that! Yes, it's zlee.geo@yahoo.com . :smile:

An update: I think that Kirk must be much loved, given the responses I've been getting from people. Tim Britton and Kieran O'Hare are lined up for the CD, as well as five other artists/groups, and I expect that we'll have more pipers and other players as word gets round.

Please do pass on the info to pipers and players you know. The more people who know, the better. I will post more information (addresses, dates, etc.) as it comes available.

Thanks again, and I'm sure Kirk has no idea that so many people love him and wish him so well. I can hardly wait to enlighten him about it. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zlee on 2002-04-22 23:07 ]</font>