Egan set in New Zealand

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

KLR wrote:What kind of print is that
Back in the days of B&W photography, tinting (painting) photo prints was an occupation in itself. Often the photographer' would have people working in their studio who did nothing else. I don't know if ths particular photo was tinted, or if someone did it more recently on the digital image on a computer.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
sean an piobaire

Post by sean an piobaire »

Well, Very good Peter, but I still have some other photos, besides the one you have, that I just got into the on line "photo-bucket" Some are pictures that David Clake gave me, as the camera I had there, was one of those throw-away snapshot cameras.
I decided not to put on line the one I shot through the glass at the Pipes and Paddy's 2 fiddles, with the attendant glare of the flash "starring" it.
There are some good shots anyway, the grave, the "backside" of the Egan Pipes, the lady curator (Mrs. Challis?) holding the Pipes on her lap,
Martin Curtis and his 2 sons, Martin's cassette tape "J" card, etc. so here's the info:

location http://photobucket.com/albums/f209/seanthepiper

mobile upload seanthepiper.11162@uploads.photobucket.com

This is the first time I ever got this far into cyberspace,
so I hope it works!!!
Sean G. Folsom
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Hard to believe that you came back from NZ without the family pipes!
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Hard to believe that you came back from NZ without the family pipes
Don't be going getting ideas Jim. Although they are in a museum, they still belong to the decendants of Mr. Galvin.

When I was there in 1999 the curator at the time (i forget his name) seemed to know a lot about Galvin and quite a bit about Egan too. It could well be my misunderstanding that he mean't Egan and not Galvin who indulged in a pointed blade.

The set has been out on loan over the years too. There is a recording of the pipes on a folk album called "Gin and Rasberry". I think the performer was was either Bob Bickerton (a fantastic NZ muti-instrumentalist, who also has a lovely Crowley half set) or Tony Gallagher ( a fine piper and artist, he did the lovely charcoal sketch of Neillidh Mulligan for his first CD).

When I saw the set I was in the company of highland piper Alan Caddick, brother of Uilleann piper Colin or known to many as 'Squint'.
I inquired to the curator about the whereabouts of a set of Irish Bagpipes. He said they were in storage because of a larger exhibition that was oing on. Then it was a case of, I showed him mine and he showed me his...
Then says he, "Would you like to play them?"
"Fuggen right!" says I.

They had been rereeded and all the leather was new.
On closer inspection, the "tonsils' were fine but a few holes had been moved.

Still beautiful piece of work with a great story.

Sean
Thats a lovely snap of Paddy Galvin. Is that the set he bought at Butlers on his return.
Looks very like a set made by a one WR. Mind you I've seen Coyne stuff with the two turned up drones but, with no visable taper in the regs and WR style Egan copy chanter.......
This set has been around......

Tommy
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

THe Egan set, the story about Egan - sounds like it was all rolled together by the museum curator. I've actually ran into that myself - people recounting O'Neill to me as their independent understanding of 'fact'.

Jim Galvin McGuire
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Looks like a hand tinted black and white photo. Used to do some of that in my former life.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I've just been rereading this thread and noticed I asked questions that Sean had already answered.
Apologies all.
Tommy
sean an piobaire

Wow this thread got complex....I love it.....My N.Z. trip started at Lorcan Dunne's house in the Ponsonby section of Auckland (the big city of a million people with 1/3rd of the total population). Lorcan and his kiwi wife Mary (?) moved back to Dublin since 1996, I heard. I stayed with Bob Bickerton( from Birmingham,Sasana) in Nelson, his wife Evey McAuliffe (who is from Dublin,Eire),
was in the women's singing group "Cairde". I teased her awhile ago by sending her a picture of New York Piper McAuliffe (who didn't make it into O'Neill's IM&Ms book, as he was a philanderer). Bob used to be in an Celtic trio in N.Z. with David Kidd another N.Z. piper,who used to live in Sacremento, California. David gave me alot of names and addresses to contact for my once-in-a lifetime tour.
At the Easter-time Folk Festival at Wainui, on the Banks Penisula, N.E. of Christ Church, I met Tony Gallagher, the Piper of Omaru, whoose Scots accent reminded me of my time in Glasgow with all the Clydebank Irish people there...It was like going "home",but in N.Z.!! Elizabeth Small, from Ballymoney, Basil Fitzgerald and on and on...
I have a note from the curator, David Clake, about Tony Gallagher taking the Galvin set "out on loan"after I was there...as Tony looks at this forum & some times posts some comments...I expect some good photos of this Galvin set to appear. How about it Tony? I also met one of Galvin's descendents, at Dunedin,a woman named Sue Galvin, who told me that I looked like one of her dead uncles...I said,"Thanks alot"! We kidded around calling each other "Cuz". There are more Galvins down at Invercargill (the south tip near the south pole). My tour had so many great moments: The concert at Gisborne, put on for me by P.M. David Andrew of the city of Gisborne GHB band (and Dave&Dale Smith who put me up) was a real high point, another great gig was the Bunker Folk Club, at Devonport (so called because it had been a WW2 gun emplacement)hosted by English Sheep-Herd and Folkmusic Maven ,
Roger Giles, & his partner Hillary...I look at this and say did I really do all that? Hey Jim! I didn't make an offer on Galvin's Pipes but I missed a set of Leo Rowsome's that sold to an American for $750 NZD just before I got to "the land of the long white cloud" AOTEAROA, I have gone on too long
so long Sean Folsom
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

sean an piobaire wrote:I teased her awhile ago by sending her a picture of New York Piper McAuliffe (who didn't make it into O'Neill's IM&Ms book, as he was a philanderer).
Hrmmff, huh?
Too early for me, first time I read that I'm thinking "he was a stamp collector...?"
AOTEAROA? Sounds like one of those goofy web acronyms. IMHO.
(the Māori name for New Z.)
Did ya give your feet a soak in one of those hot springs, Sean? Eugene Lambe wrote about how they have them at the bus stops!
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

This is great stuff Sean.
My own trip around New Zealand started with Terry Carroll. I lovely man and a fine piper too. Terry is playing a half set made by Dan Dowd made in 1977 and when I met him he still had all the original reeds that Dan made!
We had a great tune with Charlie Montgomery, a very fine fiddle player from Tyrone, I believe. Did you meet him Sean?
Lorcan and his kiwi wife Mary (?) moved back to Dublin since 1996,
Yes they did. They landed in Dublin with nowhere to stay right away so they moved into 15 Henrietta St for a month or so. Lorcan swears the place is haunted….
I stayed with Bob Bickerton( from Birmingham,Sasana) in Nelson, his wife Evey McAuliffe (who is from Dublin,Eire),
I had a great night of music in their house too.
Bob’s wife is also an aunt of Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh who a great flute player and the current singer with Danu!
I did a gig in Dublin with Muireann and Tony Byrne, the guitarist with at first light nowadays, and the NZ connection came up.
We commented in the rapidly decreasing size of the globe, to which Tony replied, ‘that’s such a coincidence, that’s another person that I’ve never met before….” Ba bum tish.

Anyway, another coincidence.
Ian McKenzie was the reed doctor at the Tionol in NZ 1999, the year I was teaching there and be brought along a pal from Sidney, Jamie Carlin.
Jamie had inherited a beautiful Leo Rowsome set from the family of Billy Crowe.
Billy was a piper who had ordered the set from Leo in the late 1940's, i think, and also an uncle of Tipperary piper Joe Barry.

Joe had always wondered what happened his uncles pipes and was delighted when I filled him in the following year at a Tionol in Fermoy. So Joe finished the story for me.

Billy had lived in Australia for years and played a flat set, he was fed up not being able to play along with others so he asked Leo to make him a set and would he consider a trade in as part of the price of the full set.
Leo said fine, I’ll ask about and see who wants a flat set in Dublin. And who made it, our man Egan.

It all worked out.
Dan Dowd bought the Egan set from Leo and Joe informed me that the Egan set was one that John Coughlan played which he bought from the man who ordered it from Egan himself in NY in 1852.
Who else, but PADDY GALVIN.

Big world, isn’t it.

Tommy
sean an piobaire

Oh Gawd another post from me.....Tommy I love the the ins and outs of the duck's____ on this Cloughlan set being from Paddy Galvin, via Leo Rowsome but that's not what I remember. Dan Dowd, of the Malahide Road, was after telling me, in 1973 (isn't the rhyme nice). He said it was a Dublin fireman that went to Australia and met up with somebody who had those pipes and surprised the hell out of Dan when the fireman got back and gave it to Dan.
Well, that's what I remember, and I know I can be wrong...as I revealed to myself about the details of meeting John Keenan Snr. (in 1973).
So there was P.J. Ryan in Melbourne, that had the Fitzgerald set that was finaly picked up (or off) by Paddy Maloney. I did write a article for the Seattle Piper's Club after I got back that has all the names and a photo of the NZ pipers that Bob gave me.
I can't at this moment, go through all the names, suffice it to say, the people down under are MIGHTY !
So Kevin !! the New York piper I am refering to is James C. McAuliffe who recorded 14 selections on cylinders for Edison go to:
http:// www.tinfoil.com/mcauliffe.htm
There's a Photo and a humorous story, and an Obit. about that piper.
Thanks everyone for getting me jazzed about my distant (in time AND space) relative Paddy Galvin Yours in UPiping Sean GF
Last edited by sean an piobaire on Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Dan got the great Egan set from that visiting fireman from Australia who brought that set with him to Ireland. He stayed with Dan for months, Dan put the set into order, and the Aussie really became emotional when leaving to return to Australia. When he finally left after several misses of the boat/train to London to start his journey, the final time by Dan's firehouse he kicked the box over Dan's way (Dan was unconcerned but would have lit into your man if they had already been his pipes) and told Dan that he would do a lot more with them than he ever would. Dan now had that set. I have the RTE inverview where Dan recounts that and also his sense of loss over Breandan Breathnach's death.

Coughlan did know Egan in NY so that's a legit connection. Galvin was too late for Egan. Are there any markings on that Galvin/Folsom set?

Sean, based on the stories floating down there in New Zealand, you should have told them on NZR about how it was the Galvin destiny that brought you there. You'd take the pipes away now and promise to return (at your price) every year for the Galvin reunion. Something to keep in mind next time your legacy intersects with an unparalleled 19th century set of pipes. Wasn't there a McSweeney on the other side of your family?
Last edited by Jim McGuire on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

tompipes wrote:Lorcan swears the place is haunted…
I never heard about the haunted aspect. When NPU was acquiring the 99 year lease for Henrietta St, the top floor was imagined as a caretaker residence - someone who could get people out of the place late in the evening. However, they then reckoned that anyone that would take the position would likely be piper-friendly and would never close down late-night activity. Nice to hear that someone did get some use out of the upstairs!
sean an piobaire

Does the ghost play the Pipes? Does it goast the toast? I remember someone told me Lorcan Dunne used to LIVE on the roof of Henrietta St (NPU.- HQ.).
So that man should know alot, about the haunt.
No Jim, No McSweeneys in the
O'Folsom family tree, Just Bebbs from Powys, Galvins from Kerry, Nolans & Leonards from W.Meath (Vaudeville piper Shaun O' Nolan, another dis-Tant Piper, and where's HIS pipes?.... Jim?)
I recently found a Campbell (Arrgh)on my Dad's side, along with the Wisharts...which I knew for a long time
(a Famous Wishart (George)was burned at the stake at St. Andrew's, he was John Knox's Buddy). Elliots, and English Catholics, that came to Maryland with Lord Baltimore (name was Borne) The Folsom's were Puritans, from Nor-Fork, who came to Mass. Bay in 1637, and some where along the way married (gasp) an Amerindian.
The tribe? I dunno, but get off my property.....!
Thanks for the clarity on Dan O'Dowd's Pipes and if it's true about the Galvin Reunion we can work with the NZ tourist board,and get it going for all the Galvins world wide we can "field" at least two Pipers, and take turns playing on "THE GALVIN SET". In regard to the New Zealand Tourist Board. I called them up in Los Angeles at the start of booking my tour, and they told me that they had no Celtic music, only Maori "Luau"-s at Rotorua, which is fine, as far as it goes...I also met Richard Nunns the fabulous Maori musical instrument guy at Bob Bickerton's...(gOOgle him). Professor Roger Buckton, of the University of Canterbury, who got the Czech-Bohemian Band of Puhoi ,(North of Auckland) out to the Strakonice
International Bagpipe Festival, in 1998. Roger had been in the British early music scene in the 1970s, and started out teaching at the Univ. in Auckland and found out about the band in Puhoi (settled by Czechs in 1863), and they always had a Piper (Ceske Dudy) and Fiddlers, THEN the ACCORDION(s) was/ were added....So Roger got a Dudy from Pavel Cip...and became the leader of the band. The main reason I got to NZ, was the CSC corporation, who sent me to a corporate meeting in Taupo, for Fletcher-Challenge Ltd. the forest products company, $4,000USD fee.. ...round trip airfare on Quantas (plus $450 each way,excess baggage charge, paid for, etc.) lodging and car rental for 1 of the 4 weeks (total was actualy 33 days)....like I say, once in a life-time....... Sean O'Nolan Galvin Campbell Oh-Folsom
Last edited by sean an piobaire on Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean an piobaire

Here's the site of Roy "og" O Gealbhain (with fada marks over the O and the last "a". Originaly from Limerick, now down in South County Tipp.
Dancer, (Irish step AND ballet), Gaelic language, whistle, mandoline, flute and Irish Pipes.
Not too much for one man to do, and a fine head of long blonde hair, withal.
I've never contacted Roy myself, but I came across a reveiw of his performance in Moscow (Moskova) Russia.

Check him out at: http://www.tigroy.com/roy2_new.html

The Commerial let-me-off-the-hook clause, is, as follows:
This is being done, without Roy's knowledge, by "cuz-in"
Sean ("ro-og") O______UNO HOO