Wilkinson and McCarthy

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ben
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ben »

I have a full set of Wilkinson and McCarthy Drones and Regs. The Workmanship is very good and it has an unusal trumpet type slide on the bass drone.
The Drones are really lovely and full of harmonics (if you like that sort of thing)
However The Regs are not so hot. The ones that are in tune are fine but on some of the tenor and bari Regs the tunings are way out.
Anyone else has a full set by them and any ideas as to if it is a reed thing or just a fundamental flaw in the regs? Also any info regarding the makers and if they are still about?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I started on a half set by them in 1980, bought at Walton's in Dublin. They were evil, the worst I have ever seen and the only recommendation everybody gave me was : get rid of that thing ASAP which I did.

The greatest feature was the handstitched rubber bag did they really think it would hold air with the holes punched in ?
allan moller

Post by allan moller »

hi ben,your drone switch will soon be fixed.wassup wiv you e.mail?i,m getting delayed mail delivery at your address.
heard you was at a session wiv daniel mac and the murphy,sounds good mate,get out there.
allan.
Ben

Post by Ben »

The Chanter for the set was really very bad indeed, infact unplayable. but the drones and the overall workmanship of the set is really pretty good. The set plays very well and Allan Moller has since reeded up the drones and regs and replaced the bag. I have a Cillian O'Briain Chanter which fits in well with the rest of the set - it sounds well balanced.
Other W and Mc C stuff I have seen has been pretty poor and rough looking, which is not at all like these pipes which are infact very nicely put together (also Ivory Mounts)
Anyone else out there with a half decent W and McC Set?