It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: lapsed piper
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:50 pm 

I've strayed from piping the last few years and have concentrated on flute instead. I don't know how to go about playing pipes again, I seem to have some sort of psychological block. Has anyone experienced anything similiar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:58 pm 
its difficult to start doing anything after a period of absence --- the solution -- just pik em up n enjoy :party:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:54 pm 

When you starting not practicing, were you having a particular problem? I think anxiety can really get in a person's way. Maybe if you can identify something specific that you were having trouble with at the time you could get more up for attacking that problem now. Or did you get overwhelmed by thinking about too many aspects of piping instead of just concentrating on a step at a time? You can start up just as simple as you want. You can practice for just a few minutes. It's just you and the pipes. Just make some sounds. Do some exercises. You'll figure out what to do next.

It is scary to start something again because I think a person fears to find out that everything has been forgotten. But you will find out you have not forgotten everything at all. So just get 'em out and strap 'em on. Get that far and I think you will have the problem licked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:21 pm 

A couple of times over the years I have had significant breaks from piping.

The first time about 10 years ago I stopped playing for about 18 months. Returning from a 3 week holiday I just knew it was time to start again.

Recently I've had about 4 years off due to the birth of my son. I'm now about 18 months back into piping.

Neither times had I missed playing. But there came a clear feeling to play again. And I suppose the drive to put the hours in to get my playing back into some sort of shape.

It is definitely worth the effort when you manage to play something and it sounds good.

Assuming your reeds are still in good order, I would advise you to go back to the easy stuff and work some piping back into your fingers. Also make contact with any pipers near you, get a lesson off someone with experience to help you shake off any bad habits. If your heart is in playing pipes you should fairly quickly regain what you have lost.

If it's not, maybe the flute is the way to go.... for now.

David

Post subject: Re: lapsed piper
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:21 pm 

streetpipingman wrote:
I've strayed from piping the last few years and have concentrated on flute instead. I don't know how to go about playing pipes again, I seem to have some sort of psychological block. Has anyone experienced anything similiar?

You have to ask yourself "Do I really want to be a piper?", and go with your feelings. Leaving them for a few years for the flute may already be your answer.

I do not, however, find it odd that you have a mental block after not playing the pipes for years... your brain/fingers/arms/hands are just very accustomed to something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:42 pm 

judging by workshops and classes i have been to, there is ALWAYS a guy like you who once did it and took a break. such guys do well when they pick it up again, especially if its not a break from music, just from piping. this is the case with you.
be patient with yourself.
to get into it again, i recommend the clarke tutor. play from lesson 1 until you get stuck then practice where you had trouble. you will make it very quickly through lots of lessons. and warm up from lesson 1 every day. it just takes a few minutes.
welcome back.
meir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:09 pm 

I cannot begin to stress how extremely dangerous this is. I would not even attempt it. Pipes are poison. You will die. Approach your old set with extreme caution. Make sure they aren't armed. Once you are absolutely sure it is safe, quickly grab them and nail them up on the wall. Serenade with flute as required.

djm