NPU Video Prewiews???

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

So I've gone and ordered the NPU piping videos (1 & 2) but have yet to find a good description of what's actually IN them! :smile: I've heard everyone say "Just get them both!" and so I did, but until they arrive, does anyone have a better description than video 1 is basic stuff, and video 2 is slightly less basic stuff???

Thanks!

B~
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

I have #1. I like it well enough that I certainly will order #2 soon. #1 has the basics such as the parts of the uilleann set, gripping, basic troubleshooting,etc., and then goes into scales and a simple tune. Each succeeding section introduces new tunes utilizing more techniques, re: Raglan Road/cutting, Maggie In The Woods/2nd octave, Rambling Pitchfork and Garret Barry's/rolls, Heather Breeze/triplets. Each of these sections clearly explain and demonstrate at a learnable pace with a good clear view of how the tune and technique are being played. At the end of the tape are 7 additional tunes: Humours of Whiskey, Ward's Jig, Peter Street, Honeymoon Reel, The Stack of Wheat, An Ghaoth Aneas, & Off To California. All the tunes' notation are included in a booklet inside. The tape is very well done by pipers Gay McKeon and Nollaig MacCarthaigh.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your piping!
Ailin
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi Brian,

Learn everything on these tapes and attend classes/tionóil whenever you can and you'll be in great shape. Learn the tapes systematically, one section at a time and be patient with your progress things will happen if you keep up the practice.

Patrick. Image
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Brian
I agree with the advice so far.
The three NPU videos are great if you can't get hold of a regular teacher....and maybe even if you can.
Also quite good is the Seán Potts CD-ROM
[see madfortrad.com]

Boyd
http://www.strathspeyinmay.com
A festival for adults learning traditional music.