Photos of Taylor pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Brennan made bellows for the Taylors, Suzanne Neary up in Tacoma has a set that's said to be by him (not sure if it's stamped). Quite rude. Dave Power had the Brennan set that's pictured on Chris Bayley's site and that's better work. Hutton inherited the Taylor's tools, I forget if anyone has any Hutton pipes.
I know about ivory aging, who was it who sussed out that some of the old makers used mammoth ivory? Also if the ivory on a set is in contact with a pipe bag for a long time it will looked burnt, from the tannic acid used in curing the leather. Brad Angus pointed this out to me with the Bb Willie Rowsome set that came up on Ebay, which the seller of insisted had been through a fire. Don't know about that but those chanters looked like they'd been thrown in the river at some point!
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I'm riveted!

Patrick :love:
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

Ivory is porous and will darken from skin oils with handling. Generally, Asian elephant ivory is usually a lot yellower than African elephant ivory, although some African ivory can be quite yellow as well.

I'm curious about the regulator sleeves. Are the tabs to hold the keys soldered onto the tube, (like the popping valve bracket) or are the tabs formed by slitting the tube longitudinally and folding them up?
djm

Post by djm »

Pat D'Arcy wrote:I'm riveted!
Nice pic, Pat. Certainly is eye-popping!

I wonder what effect Crest Whitestrips would have restoring the colour of old ivory (yes, I'm kidding).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Image

I'm riveted!

Patrick :love:

This one looks to be riveted as well... :)
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

texasbagpiper wrote:Did the Taylor's have any apprentices that are known of.....??????
Yes. Two guys... K&Q
They have harnessed the power of time travel with this device:
and make repeated trips back in time whenever necessary for details.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Hutton inherited the Taylor's tools...
which the seller of insisted had been through a fire...those chanters looked like they'd been thrown in the river at some point!
Hutton bought the workshop off Charley Taylor within a year after Billy died. The contents of the Rowsome/Brown eBAY auction smelled of charcoal as if they had been near a fire at one time. The chanters, once cleaned up from its normal grime probably due to the leather, were two of the nicest concert chanters that I have seen - by Patsy Brown. Top hand triplets were absolutely great on those chanters.
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

Tony wrote: They have harnessed the power of time travel with this device:
and make repeated trips back in time whenever necessary for details.
It isn't necessary to make the trips if you have the boys' sub-ether mobile number. Just ring them up. Billy loses patience if you don't have a well framed question, but Charley is a lot more laid-back and voluble. It's a turkey shoot as to who's going to answer.

This might shed some light on the workings of the two screws. They both have to be snug to keep the rocking limiter in position.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Jim, I meant the original seller, he was a testy chap. No wait...it was somebody on here who'd seen the pipes. He kept insisting they'd been burnt. Well, who knows, but tannic acid will certainly discolor the stuff too, and the patterns of blackening were on the bottom of the reg caps like you'd expect if they sat on a bag for decades.
Nice dingus, Mr. Pat. May be I'll scan mine and post photo. Sean Folsom drew a couple of eyeballs on one of his! Great yucks.
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

Here are three pictures of a set belonging to a friend of mine. What do you think? Similar to the one under discussion? Note the long ferrules on the regulator ends. Can't see much of the shapes of the caps, but there may be something there, too. This one also happens to play very well.

tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Why the long ferrules on those regs? Is there a bullet-shaped piston thingy on the tuning pin in these regs?

t
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

A question or two about Taylor regulators:

I've heard that a Taylor regulator has up to 4 bores and reeds. Do the two sets pictured in this thread have such regulators? If so, why do I only see one tuning pin per regulator?
PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi PJ,

Nope... just the one bore in these.

PD.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

tommykleen wrote:Why the long ferrules on those regs? Is there a bullet-shaped piston thingy on the tuning pin in these regs?

t
I believe the tuning pins end with a flat round piece of ivory.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Removed to avoid confusion.
Last edited by PJ on Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJ